Am I Wrong Here?

I hear people talk like this all the time. Another hand people "dont like" is JJ. AK and JJ are both in the top five hands you can be dealt in Holdem. You cant play these hands weak just because you dont ever seem to hit with them. You dont get premium hands often and when you do the idea is to maximize their potential. I have played with another player who always just pushes all in pre-flop with JJ because he doesnt like playing them post flop. This is just a horrible way to play such a premium hand. Limping with AK is equaly as bad a play.Dont limp because you find them hard to play, work on playing them better.
JJ sucks, sorry. I'll play AK all day long before I play JJ like the nuts. I will post you some of my poker tracker stats so you can see my point. I think I almost like AQ better than JJ.

JJ is the hardest hand in poker. I lost a lot of money with it before I learned!I don't hate it any more but but I don't consider it a premium hand either.

JJ sucks, sorry. I'll play AK all day long before I play JJ like the nuts. I will post you some of my poker tracker stats so you can see my point. I think I almost like AQ better than JJ.
No hand "sucks." There are correct ways to play every hand, and you aren't very smart. Look at your life stats and you'll see my point.

ok, i'm sorry but someone has to say this. it is the most hilarious thing ever that this guy has posted a strat post and got 30 odd responses, most of that strategy related, and not ONE person has asked the ONLY relevant question we need answered to give the OP his answer, namely "what were the effective stack sizes?" it's beyond awesome that so many people have tried to answer this question without knowing the stack sizes, as if your play here is the same if you have $50 behind, $200 behind or $500 behind. i don't know whether i should be laughing or crying. so OP, what were the effective stack sizes?other questions: reads of opponent? could he raise 67 here? could he raise Ax here? why the hell did the dealer choose to deal out the turn? why the hell did you show him you folded? why the hell didn't you raise preflop?

Look at your life stats and you'll see my point.
Great, now I'm depressed :)My point is JJ is not one of the top 5 hands. It's no better than any mid pocket pair. I learned the hard way like probably everybody else.Off topic, so it doesn't matter.
ok, i'm sorry but someone has to say this. it is the most hilarious thing ever that this guy has posted a strat post and got 30 odd responses, most of that strategy related, and not ONE person has asked the ONLY relevant question we need answered to give the OP his answer, namely "what were the effective stack sizes?" it's beyond awesome that so many people have tried to answer this question without knowing the stack sizes, as if your play here is the same if you have $50 behind, $200 behind or $500 behind. if this isn't proof that fcp is NOT a poker forum, i don't really know what is. i don't know whether i should be laughing or crying. so OP, what were the effective stack sizes?
I've got about $100 behind my bet, he had about $85 after his raise.
ok, i'm sorry but someone has to say this. it is the most hilarious thing ever that this guy has posted a strat post and got 30 odd responses, most of that strategy related, and not ONE person has asked the ONLY relevant question we need answered to give the OP his answer, namely "what were the effective stack sizes?" it's beyond awesome that so many people have tried to answer this question without knowing the stack sizes, as if your play here is the same if you have $50 behind, $200 behind or $500 behind. i don't know whether i should be laughing or crying. so OP, what were the effective stack sizes?other questions: reads of opponent? could he raise 67 here? could he raise Ax here? why the hell did the dealer choose to deal out the turn? why the hell did you show him you folded? why the hell didn't you raise preflop?
I assumed they both had around $200 behind just because of the blinds, but you're right. Depending on the how well this guy plays post flop if you have enough checks behind you could take a card off for $15 and hope to get lucky or maybe outplay him later.
Great, now I'm depressed :)My point is JJ is not one of the top 5 hands. It's no better than any mid pocket pair. I learned the hard way like probably everybody else.Off topic, so it doesn't matter.
Brilliant.
That's kind of weird. I would say JJ is better than 88, 99 or even TT. It might be a little difficult to beleive, but trust me on this one.
other questions: reads of opponent? could he raise 67 here? could he raise Ax here? why the hell did the dealer choose to deal out the turn? why the hell did you show him you folded? why the hell didn't you raise preflop?
Loose opponent, pretty bad player, doesn't get into pots with me (tight, solid image) unless he has at least tptk (in which he calls my bets) or at least 2 pr. Wouldn't raise me with 67, or Ax. Home game, dealer runs it out almost all the time. Showed my hand to get him to show his to validate read and not feel like a tight pu$$y who made a bad read. Didn't raise PF to switch things up a bit, just limped. Hope this helps. Thank you all for the advice/ constructive criticism.
Premium starting hands aren’t really a matter of opinion. You can mathematically calculate a hands starting value. More commonly simulations are run or huge hand histories are analyzed. I assure you that JJ falls in the top five starting hands. It’s just important to remember that starting hand rankings are a small part of the game. Yes they are hard to play but they are still a valuable hand and I am more excited when I see them than say AQ.
Loose opponent, pretty bad player, doesn't get into pots with me (tight, solid image) unless he has at least tptk (in which he calls my bets) or at least 2 pr.
a "loose/bad" opponent at 1/2 to me is one who will get into hands with you with bad hands.. top pair no kicker, middle pair top kicker, constantly call with bad draws, one who won't put you on a hand. if he's paying attention to your image and not playing big pots against you without tptk or better, well that's pretty much a solid profitable 1/2 player i would think.
Wouldn't raise me with 67, or Ax.
so you're saying he's passive and won't raise without a hand that beats tptk? i can't imagine he would raise on a stone bluff if he can't raise with an oesd. if your read is that he can't make this raise with a single hand you beat then i don't really see any point in making this post unless it's a veiled brag post. in which case, nh sir.
Home game, dealer runs it out almost all the time. Showed my hand to get him to show his to validate read and not feel like a tight pu$y who made a bad read.
ah, the rest makes much more sense now. although in general showing your hands is retarded... if you think he's an idiot and you can goad him into showing your hand (and you actually put him on 58) then just throw your hand in the muck and say "58?" most low limit players will show you if you're right just because they're amazed at what you just did. and if not, hey, if you trust your instinct enough to make the fold then just be confident you're right. and always consider how everyone's image of you has changed in their head now that you've showed you can fold what to them is probably the mortal nuts to a single raise on the flop.
Didn't raise PF to switch things up a bit, just limped. Hope this helps. Thank you all for the advice/ constructive criticism.
well since you didn't include position or how many people were at the table it's hard to comment on this but in general there is no reason to mix it up against bad players.. just value raise your AK, get called by A8, and rake a 50bb pot when he flops top pair no kicker.
a "loose/bad" opponent at 1/2 to me is one who will get into hands with you with bad hands.. top pair no kicker, middle pair top kicker, constantly call with bad draws, one who won't put you on a hand. if he's paying attention to your image and not playing big pots against you without tptk or better, well that's pretty much a solid profitable 1/2 player i would think. so you're saying he's passive and won't raise without a hand that beats tptk? i can't imagine he would raise on a stone bluff if he can't raise with an oesd. if your read is that he can't make this raise with a single hand you beat then i don't really see any point in making this post unless it's a veiled brag post. in which case, nh sir. ah, the rest makes much more sense now. although in general showing your hands is retarded... if you think he's an idiot and you can goad him into showing your hand (and you actually put him on 58) then just throw your hand in the muck and say "58?" most low limit players will show you if you're right just because they're amazed at what you just did. well since you didn't include position or how many people were at the table it's hard to comment on this but in general there is no reason to mix it up against bad players.. just value raise your AK, get called by A8, and rake a 50bb pot when he flops top pair no kicker.
He loves to get his money in in bad situations, just not against me because of my image. He's a player who always leaves broke at the end of the night. He's not passive, he just doesn't get into it with me unless he has some real ammunition. This is a very loose, and crazy game. This was a 10 person table, and I believe I was 3rd to act out of 5 people in the hand?
this hand is really not worth two pages.- Jordan
Change your settings to forty posts per page.Also, I disagree about never mixing it up with AK. In a lot of small no limit games raising with that hand in early position just inflates the pot to the size where even if you hit your hand you can't make your opponents make much of a mistake because nobody has much money on the table. Also, when you get six callers and completely miss your hand a continuation bet is useless, and a lot of times there are a few players who pay attention enough to notice patterns.
JJ is a GREAT hand. It's as easy to play as the montana bannana.Flop: AJ3. Print your own money. Flop: AQ3. Fold (it's almost like printing your own money).