New Challenge (old Challenge)

Here's a bit of an open question, how do a lot of you play hands where you basically flop the nuts and you didn't take the lead pre? Say UTG raises and you flat the button with 8-8 and the flop comes K-8-2r? How do we like to play something like this against different villains? I just feel like right now in spots where I crush the flop and I either raise on a later street where I look way strong or I raise too early and scare people off marginal hands they may bet/check/bet or something. How about slightly more drawy flops? Against nits, maniacs, tags, etc.?I mean obviously it's a pretty general question and the answer is really "it depends", but any lines/plays we especially like in spots like this?
If we're playing genuinely deep, then I like leading into the raiser. On the other hand, if you can get all-in or nearly so without taking the initiative away from the PFR, then go ahead and I like to let him do the betting. Betting out just cheats us out of the continuation bet when the PFR has air.Another big factor in a multiway pot is the relative position of the likely bettor. If I'm the SB and UTG is the PFR, then I would check a lot to put the field in between us.
  • Replies 61.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoSup4U

• RDog

• bull62

• Jordan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody like you, so you get lost.

Posted Images

Do you "pros" routinely discuss daily numbers with your significant other? Obviously they are more likely to understand swongs and the like more than your average friend, but still.Jw.
I don't think I'd call myself a pro yet as I'm still a student (though I'm taking spring semester off), but I tell my gf everything. It works out to my benefit because my gf is very supportive and is pretty much the coolest a gf could be regarding poker.
Do you "pros" routinely discuss daily numbers with your significant other? Obviously they are more likely to understand swongs and the like more than your average friend, but still.
That's an interesting question. If the people answering could clarify if they have separate or pooled finances, that would be good.If I tell my wife I'm stuck a million playchips, she usually tells me to STFU.
What is your job?
I work for a local farmer in his production plant. This time of the year is really busy and we are doing 10+ hour days. It's really labor intensive work too.

I just had to quit my session.. because full tilt is either lagging like a mother ******.. or my connection sucks. My friend said the same thing was happening to him.. anyone else?Heres my day.. this session was only 500 hands.25nl6mka9.jpgIm gonna crush donkaments tomorrow btw.. and teh redskins are going to kill the cowboys :club::ts:D

I just had to quit my session.. because full tilt is either lagging like a mother ******.. or my connection sucks. My friend said the same thing was happening to him.. anyone else?
Lagging like a mother ****** for me too.
Don't be silly, RDog will just berate the fire then put it on his ignore list, problem solved :)Really don't get in any fires though.
Heh...Yea be careful bud.
I'm sure that different people do different things. Lindsey generally knows how much I win or lose each day because she asks, or I just tell her. It really makes things easier so that she knows if I'm gonna be having a bad day or whatever.
IMO people either understand the concept of variance, or they don't. If anyone's significant other understands it, then you should be fine telling them figures. If they don't understand it, then keep numbers out of it. A friend of mine has a fiance who's real nice and doesn't care when he goes and plays poker, but if she hears he lost $1k she flips the F out like you wouldn't believe. If he is up $2K over a couple of sessions though she is thinking of ways to spend it. I don't think that makes her a bad person or unsupportive, she just doesn't get "gambling" and never will.
Do you "pros" routinely discuss daily numbers with your significant other? Obviously they are more likely to understand swongs and the like more than your average friend, but still.Jw.
I share everything with Shannon. Kind of like how Acid said, she generally just asks how my day went to get an idea of what my mood will be that evening. A couple of weeks ago I decided for myself though its not good focusing so much on daily numbers. I'm really trying to remove my 'mood' from if I am up or down money or even from how I played. So I've started just saying my day was good or meh, instead of I'm up $2000 or down $2000. And we always talk about specific numbers at the end of the month because thats kind of a general indicator of how we're doing financially. All our finances are pooled for whoever asked that question.Mark
IMO people either understand the concept of variance, or they don't. If anyone's significant other understands it, then you should be fine telling them figures. If they don't understand it, then keep numbers out of it. A friend of mine has a fiance who's real nice and doesn't care when he goes and plays poker, but if she hears he lost $1k she flips the F out like you wouldn't believe. If he is up $2K over a couple of sessions though she is thinking of ways to spend it. I don't think that makes her a bad person or unsupportive, she just doesn't get "gambling" and never will.
IMO the best way to solve that problem is to tell them: I'm up $X lifetime. And then if you have a losing session well now you're up $X minus whatever you lost. If you're a winning player and are up lifetime, its impossible for anyone to flip out when they ask how you did last night and you tell them you're up $X lifetime because how can they flip out when you've just told them playing poker has made you money?Mark
IMO the best way to solve that problem is to tell them: I'm up $X lifetime. And then if you have a losing session well now you're up $X minus whatever you lost. If you're a winning player and are up lifetime, its impossible for anyone to flip out when they ask how you did last night and you tell them you're up $X lifetime because how can they flip out when you've just told them playing poker has made you money?Mark
Not a bad idea, I'll suggest it to him...but like I said, if he was up a lot of money lifetime (he doesn't play much, I have no idea if he's up or down) she would be wondering why he didn't spend it on something, save it, invest it, etc, and then just take a new $500 to the 2-5 game and start again. She has a masters so it's not like she is stupid, and I suppose if he sat her down and explained why that isn't feisable she may understand to a point, but I think when people are set for/against "putting their money in play" (as opposed to gambling) that concept isn't likely to change overnight.
So this is my month so far. It has been very frustrating the last week or so and I have lost all confidence in my game. Poker just hasn't been any fun as of late.MTD.jpgSo I decided to not play any poker till Thursday and just relax and not think about it.I withdrew all of my BR except fro $750 and when I come back to the game I will start back at 25nl and start working again on just the fundamentals. Hopefully I will be able to regain my confidence and have fun playing the game again. It will also be a fun challenge to see how long it will take me to get back to 100nl and how much higher my win rate is now compared to a 4 or 5 months ago. I think im 100x the player that I was back then, and that I will do great.
Confidence is a major thing. This month I started off terribly for me and I was shipping chips to everyone else session after session, so I took a break for a few days and just decided to play ABC poker. I booked a winning session and then because I had some confidence I could open my game up and make bluff catchers and be willing to play back at the over aggro players. So yeah, time off is a good idea.If any of you other micro grinders (or anyone else here for that matter) wanna talk, TheQueryMan (don't ask) on AIM.Stay safe Rdog, and if you have to Evac, don't forget the BMW!Nice to see you booking a winning session again Acid/Matt, hopefully everything will be up from here onwards this month!
Good to see you back on the winners list :club: Speaking of which, so am I. As our poker successes are obviously entwined, please never lose again :)Here's a bit of an open question, how do a lot of you play hands where you basically flop the nuts and you didn't take the lead pre? Say UTG raises and you flat the button with 8-8 and the flop comes K-8-2r? How do we like to play something like this against different villains? I just feel like right now in spots where I crush the flop and I either raise on a later street where I look way strong or I raise too early and scare people off marginal hands they may bet/check/bet or something. How about slightly more drawy flops? Against nits, maniacs, tags, etc.?I mean obviously it's a pretty general question and the answer is really "it depends", but any lines/plays we especially like in spots like this?
I've been leading pretty much all my set/strong draws, and it's been working well. I do it the most against calling stations, but I'll do it a lot to TAGs since they tend to have a stronger range UTG.
1115fz0.jpgI felt it necessary to post this since all I've posted is me losing recently. I won $1000 from one guy at 2/4 who I've played with a bunch before. Here's the most interesting hand.Full Tilt Poker, $2/4 No Limit Hold'em Cash Games, 2 Players Hand Converter by Pokerhand.orgBoard:Button: $582.25BB: $318.75 Dealt to Button 8 :4h T :club:Pre-flop:Button raises to $12, BB raises to $36, Button calls $24Flop: ($78) 2 :ts T :qh J :5c (2 Players)BB bets $44, Button calls $44Turn: ($166) 6 :D(2 Players)BB bets $112, Button raises to $496, BB calls $126.75 and is all-inRiver: ($643.50) K :D(2 Players)Results: Button Showed 8 :3h T :D BB Showed 9 :D 4 :qh Button returns $257.25Button wins $637Yes, I was obviously shoving for value on the turn. His range is really wide and he barrels like a madman. Obviously I get it in and am in bad shape fairly often, but against this guy, just close your eyes and go with it when the match flow allows it.

Hmm, villain here is a 37/17/1.3 over around 100 handsWe likey?Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comButton ($19.75)SB ($26.70)BB ($6)UTG ($10.25)MP ($23.80)Hero (CO) ($12.40)Preflop: Hero is CO with 10 :D, 7 :D1 fold, MP raises to $0.35, Hero calls $0.35, 1 fold, SB calls $0.30, 1 foldFlop: ($1.15) 3 :ts, 6 :4h, 8 :5c(3 players)SB bets $1.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.15Turn: ($3.45) 4 :D(2 players)SB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60River: ($4.65) Q :club:(2 players)SB bets $1.10, Hero raises to $4.95

Hmm, villain here is a 37/17/1.3 over around 100 handsWe likey?Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comButton ($19.75)SB ($26.70)BB ($6)UTG ($10.25)MP ($23.80)Hero (CO) ($12.40)Preflop: Hero is CO with 1 fold, MP raises to $0.35, Hero calls $0.35, 1 fold, SB calls $0.30, 1 foldFlop: ($1.15) 3 :ts, 6 :D, 8 :D(3 players)SB bets $1.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.15Turn: ($3.45) 4 :4h(2 players)SB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60River: ($4.65) Q :club:(2 players)SB bets $1.10, Hero raises to $4.95
I like it. It's the only way we win the pot without any cards. You should just hope no one realizes you were dealt out of the hand.
I like it. It's the only way we win the pot without any cards. You should just hope no one realizes you were dealt out of the hand.
Yeah, it's pretty much a super bluff there, they should be more observant next time. My bad.Hero had Th7h
Flop: ($1.15) 3 :club:, 6 :ts, 8 :D(3 players)SB bets $1.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.15Turn: ($3.45) 4 :D(2 players)SB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60
I'd raise somewhere in here.
I'd raise somewhere in here.
Yeah, my normal line with the monster combo draws is obv to raise that flop, but I felt that a call would give us the best chance to win the most money as the potdonk is generally one of the weakest moves in poker.

Full Tilt Poker Game #8998714798: Table Richard (6 max) - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 1:10:20 ET - 2008/11/16Seat 1: StephenJackson1 ($37.65)Seat 2: vtlaxer09 ($30.80)Seat 4: soulread FTW ($25)Seat 5: Dagel31 ($16.15)Seat 6: JPantz ($31.05)Dagel31 posts the small blind of $0.10JPantz posts the big blind of $0.25The button is in seat #4*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to vtlaxer09 [Tc Kd]StephenJackson1 foldsvtlaxer09 raises to $0.85soulread FTW calls $0.85Dagel31 foldsJPantz calls $0.60*** FLOP *** [3c 6c 8s]JPantz checksvtlaxer09 bets $1.75soulread FTW calls $1.75JPantz folds*** TURN *** [3c 6c 8s] [Td]vtlaxer09 checksalexkisonfire sits downalexkisonfire adds $5soulread FTW has 15 seconds left to actsoulread FTW bets $4.50vtlaxer09 raises to $15soulread FTW has 15 seconds left to actsoulread FTW has requested TIMEvtlaxer09: [ ] soulreadsoulread FTW raises to $22.40, and is all invtlaxer09 calls $7.40soulread FTW shows [6d Ad]vtlaxer09 shows [Tc Kd]*** RIVER *** [3c 6c 8s Td] [4c]soulread FTW shows a pair of Sixesvtlaxer09 shows a pair of Tensvtlaxer09 wins the pot ($48.45) with a pair of Tenssoulread FTW adds $25*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $50.95 | Rake $2.50Board: [3c 6c 8s Td 4c]Seat 1: StephenJackson1 didn't bet (folded)Seat 2: vtlaxer09 showed [Tc Kd] and won ($48.45) with a pair of TensSeat 4: soulread FTW (button) showed [6d Ad] and lost with a pair of SixesSeat 5: Dagel31 (small blind) folded before the FlopSeat 6: JPantz (big blind) folded on the Flopedit: I was loosening up my game a bit in that session.. I think in the past I have been about a 20/17 with a smallish 3 bet %in that session I was 22/18 with a 3 bet % of 6 and an agg over 2. Im gettin alot more comfortable with it and its amazing how loosening up your preflop game just makes people never ever ever believe you.

I remember a while back people in here were talking about Brian Regan.. I'm going to see him tonight at Borgota.. soooo excited. Probably do some late night gambling too
that was me and i hate you. have fun

zomg, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeFull Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comBB ($18.80)UTG ($10.30)MP ($6.50)Hero (CO) ($19.85)Button ($10.35)SB ($9.95)Preflop: Hero is CO with A :D, A :club:2 folds, Hero raises to $0.35, Button calls $0.35, SB calls $0.30, 1 foldFlop: ($1.15) K :qh, J :4h, K :5c(3 players)SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, Button calls $0.80, 1 foldTurn: ($2.75) 10 :D(2 players)Hero checks, Button bets $1.75, Hero calls $1.75River: ($6.25) Q :3h(2 players)Hero bets $3, Button raises to $7.45 (All-In), Hero calls $4.45Total pot: $21.15 | Rake: $2Results in white below: Button had Q :qh, K :ts (full house, Kings over Queens).Hero had A :D, A :D (unknown hand FFFFF8ED).Outcome: Hero won $19.15