Ok, so as the title says, I'm trying to get back in to the swing of NL cash games after being primarily a tourney player for a few months.My first bet amount question with KK showed me a few things, and I tried to put it in to practice here. This any better?River an insta-call?Absolute PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $0.25/$0.506 playersConverterStack sizes:Hero: $44.83UTG+1: $93.54CO: $37.93Button: $67.09SB: $27.30BB: $70.11Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A :club: K :) Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.Flop: A :D K :D 9 :D ($2.5, 5 players)SB bets $0.5, BB folds, Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, SB calls.Turn: 5 :) ($6.5, 2 players)SB bets $2, Hero raises to $10.5, SB calls.River: Q :D ($27.5, 2 players)SB is all-in $14.3, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: $56.1

If you raise this preflop this preflop the hand plays a lot easier as u can basically get it all in on the turnAs played: flop: this needs to be a bigger bet, look to make it 3-4 dollarsturn: I really do like this raise in these circumstancesriver: instacall..he probably has 2 pair as well

What's your reasoning for limping UTG with AK at a short handed table? Are you looking to limp/raise?
Ditto.====As played, insta-call. A set is unlikely as even 9,9 should raise p/f on a short table. If we see a str8 on the river Villain was making mistake after mistake and got paid for it... Most likely holding is K,9 or a dry Ace where he couldn't put you on an Ace to begin with. He might have even made a 2nd pair on the turn with A,5. Great turn bet btw. :club:
What's your reasoning for limping UTG with AK at a short handed table? Are you looking to limp/raise?
Honestly, cuz I'm oop to most and didn't want to have to put out a good sized c/bet on a whiffed flop, and wanted a disguised hand if I did happen to hit the flop hard.
he may be, and I think that's an ok play if you do it a very rare amount of the time.open limping anything really utg short handed is pretty ugly. if you are going to play it, you really should open for a raise.- Jordan
Honestly, cuz I'm oop to most and didn't want to have to put out a good sized c/bet on a whiffed flop, and wanted a disguised hand if I did happen to hit the flop hard.
ok, so if a guy raises behind you are you just calling again with AK? imo, it's a top 3-4 hand, you need to be willing to put money into the pot with it, especially 6 handed or less...disguising your hand is fine every once in a while, but reasoning that you don't wanna be when you miss, and bet when you hit...is just not going to be good poker down the road. cbets are just that. they shouldnt matter whether you hit or not. a good example of this, that I see on TV is watching barry greenstein.- Jordan
he may be, and I think that's an ok play if you do it a very rare amount of the time.open limping anything really utg short handed is pretty ugly. if you are going to play it, you really should open for a raise.- Jordan
profound advice. i like it. i will keep learning and relearning. I've been raising any hand I open with for the last hundred or so hands, and really like the advantage that it gives me.I'm taking down a ton of pots even when I have nothing post flop.thanks jordan
profound advice. i like it. i will keep learning and relearning. I've been raising any hand I open with for the last hundred or so hands, and really like the advantage that it gives me.I'm taking down a ton of pots even when I have nothing post flop.thanks jordan
sarcasm?- Jordan
Not in the least, I really appreciate it. I've never concentrated on 6 max nl. SH play is so different. Aggressiveness seems to get more respect.
gotcha...the 'profound' comment caught me off guard. i didn't think it was such (and to most if prob isn't)...but i suppose if you have little experience short handed, it could help a good amount.gl- Jordan

I think you should raise this preflop. I almost never limp utg with ak. As played, I don't see anything wrong with it. I would be raising the flop and turn just like you did. The river is an easy call, especially at these limits.Jimhoff

This hand is a little better and the open limp was already discussed. I'll add that I think the flop and turn are fine as your hand is pretty well disguised.Are you new to playing SH?

Are you new to playing SH?
Very much so. That's why I posted like 6 hands...lolThe advice has been great though, and I think each hand I've played since reading the replies to my first few posts has been better than the last. I'm gonna keep posting hands and keep learning. This place can be so helpful to learning the game.
Very much so. That's why I posted like 6 hands...lolThe advice has been great though, and I think each hand I've played since reading the replies to my first few posts has been better than the last. I'm gonna keep posting hands and keep learning. This place can be so helpful to learning the game.
SH is a different beast completely. Many love it. I used to play SH exclusively but the variance was much higher for me so I slipped back to FR.And yes this place will help you have many strong SH posters
SH is a different beast completely. Many love it. I used to play SH exclusively but the variance was much higher for me so I slipped back to FR.And yes this place will help you have many strong SH posters
Sh LIMIT poker killed me. I felt like I never knew where I stood and people chased and hit everything on me. I'm liking nl a lot right now, I feel I have more ability to define my hands and push out the chasers or at least give them incorrect odds.
bdc, I hope you were implying that you'd limp this in full ring also?
Not EVERY time, but for deceptive purposes once in a while. It was very well hidden when I hammered this flop.
Not EVERY time, but for deceptive purposes once in a while. It was very well hidden when I hammered this flop.
Yeah ok, that's fine. I was just alluding to you saying something about being new to SH so that's why you limped it. Just making sure. ;)Equity is our friend.

A lot of players will min-donk-bet a draw hoping to just get it called around giving them a cheap draw. With the smallish donk on the turn as well it wouldn't surprise me if you lost to JT hearts, but good luck getting away from that if you did...As others have said, raise it up preflop. If you get 3 callers and a nasty flop, you don't have to CB.As played it looks fine. When you flop top 2 without a preflop raise and a safeish board you can assume that you will win this hand the vast majority of times and should play to stack your opponent and not chase him off.There are 2 othersto play, but my main interest would be in the SB as he has shown interest in the pot. Starting with a 75-80% pot sized bet on the flop and close to pot size on the turn gives $2 flop, $6 turn leaving us with an approx $18 pot on the river which is close to his remaining stack. Perfect, because you give him 2-1 to call on the end and you've never overbet the pot.So yes raise to $2-2.50 on the flop and ride the pot home to stacksville :)If others call you can re-eval, but the good thing is the exponatial goes from 2 to 3