is this at all a reasonable blind structure?

I'm not too pissed since it was all for charity. No cash prizes, just prizes in the form of chipsets and the like.But here it is...about 90 players run by a club at the University. Seems even with a guy who runs tournaments professionally, they didn't plan ahead well enough with the chips, as when I peeked in the room there only seemed to be about ten physical chips at each position waiting for us.We sit down, and yeah, there aren't that many chips to start. They try to make it sound fancy by saying the whites are worth 1,000 chips, but since the opening blinds are 1,000/2,000, really whites are one chip. Counting up the chips, turns out we only have about 87 real chips. :roll: Then to top it off, second round blinds are 5,000/10,000. Small blind is more than double the previous big blind? That's one 9th of your stack already just to call the blinds. At that rate you have to catch a good sized pot in the first hour or else you're horribly short stacked. People were dropping off at the 3rd round everywhere.I realize they were trying to keep us from being there all day, but I really question whether I got any good poker there. Me personally after folding mostly rags for three rounds, making a few moves but not catching much action, finally ran into cold cards while one guy kept hitting K A and A J and built up a huge stack. I was far behind even though I wasn't giving up any chips. I finally had to push all in with K J to try to build a stack to compete with and lost to K A. Another thing that irked me, two people didn't show up at our table. Their chips were still there though waiting for them at the table and they were check/folded until finally, the professional tourny runner decided to just throw their stacks, no not away, but completely into the next pot. That's two full stacks worth to whoever draws the next best hand. Me desperately wanting those chips got raised about 60 thousand to me while holding K 3. Like I can call. That big stack picked it up and I was even further behind. So yeah, I know it was for charity, but did I really get my money's worth there? Was there much I could do to give myself much of a chance?

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not too censored since it was all for charity. No cash prizes, just prizes in the form of chipsets and the like.But here it is...about 90 players run by a club at the University. Seems even with a guy who runs tournaments professionally, they didn't plan ahead well enough with the chips, as when I peeked in the room there only seemed to be about ten physical chips at each position waiting for us.We sit down, and yeah, there aren't that many chips to start. They try to make it sound fancy by saying the whites are worth 1,000 chips, but since the opening blinds are 1,000/2,000, really whites are one chip. Counting up the chips, turns out we only have about 87 real chips. :roll: Then to top it off, second round blinds are 5,000/10,000. Small blind is more than double the previous big blind? That's one 9th of your stack already just to call the blinds. At that rate you have to catch a good sized pot in the first hour or else you're horribly short stacked. People were dropping off at the 3rd round everywhere.I realize they were trying to keep us from being there all day, but I really question whether I got any good poker there. Me personally after folding mostly rags for three rounds, making a few moves but not catching much action, finally ran into cold cards while one guy kept hitting K A and A J and built up a huge stack. I was far behind even though I wasn't giving up any chips. I finally had to push all in with K J to try to build a stack to compete with and lost to K A. Another thing that irked me, two people didn't show up at our table. Their chips were still there though waiting for them at the table and they were check/folded until finally, the professional tourny runner decided to just throw their stacks, no not away, but completely into the next pot. That's two full stacks worth to whoever draws the next best hand. Me desperately wanting those chips got raised about 60 thousand to me while holding K 3. Like I can call. That big stack picked it up and I was even further behind. So yeah, I know it was for charity, but did I really get my money's worth there? Was there much I could do to give myself much of a chance?
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?????? Call with that hand!!!!

Terrible blind structureSomeday, someone will realize that a charity/free tournament deserves to have a good blind structure as well.Though the free ones one campus last semeseter (sadly discontinued this semester) I felt had a decent one6 player tables-everyone starts with 54 chips1/2 for 30 mins2/4 for 30 mins5/10 for 30 mins10/20 for 30 mins16 tables-each table winner then plays a semifinal table start with 100 chipsback down to 1/2-30 minute levels againfinal table at 8Final table got seats at a championship game-winner of that got plane tickets to Vegas. Overall winner each week got prizes, like gift certificate and UW gear.I was sad when I heard they weren't doing them this semester, they were quite a bit of fun, and allowed for some pretty good poker to be played