biggest game next month?

Let me clarify....  Clearly the majority of poker players understand the skill involved in poker. We all understand the role short term luck or probability plays and the need to judge results on a long term...Yet, as far as a poker layperson is concerned, an outcome like Beal winning huge would reinforce the idea that poker is a "game of chance." Maybe this isn't a bad thing, as it could lead to a whole school of fish swimming up to tables thinking they to could get "lucky", but myself, as a poker enthusiast, would much rather see skill triumph over luck, espicially in this case...
Nah, I think the short term "illusion of skill" is a beneficial thing (contrasted vs. the long-term certainty of skill). Skill being a factor gets egos involved, it keeps people who opened on an upswing rebuying, it makes people feel better about losing because that was the luck aspect; they have skill and will triumph and have too much pride to say they can't hack it. If it's all luck, or no luck it's easier to walk away from or identify yourself as a loser; it's the combination of "skill when you win, luck when you lose" that lines the pockets of the true winners at the game.The identification of poker as a skill game is IMHO a key component of its growth, and surprisingly, it makes it harder for the fish to walk away.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Know they wouldn't be broke but I wouldn't mind seeing them lose 80 mill or so.They will probably win but I am rooting for beal. :twisted: I am not one who bends over at thought of a big time time pro.Just cause beal is a billionaire that makes him a bully?He is the dog here.
I'm pretty sure he can only win 40 mil off of them, since that is what they agreed on.....
check the article before responding
I'm pretty sure that was you who said that..

I don't think it tends to show luck has anything to do with anything, considering Andy Beal is respected as a heads-up limit player. I think a lot of people are overlooking that. Doyle's crew isn't thinking to themselves "hahaha this amateur wants to throw his money to us." They are thinking, "This will be a pretty good match. This guy gets to play his best/favorite game, and we have to play with money we might not be completely comfortable with."I'm rooting for the pros, just because I'm a fan of many of them already. Beal means nothing to me -- unless he decides he wants to loan some random guy like me a few thousand (pocket change, right?) if he wins, then I'll root for him. Pay my student loans and I'm yours.

you guys can catch all of this information if you go to www.cardplayer.com , look at newest article by barry shulman titled something like: beal accepts doyle's proposal (almost) then at the bottom of the article there are links to all the related articles. Personally, this whole thing sounds like a huge conspiracy. I GUARENTEE you something of this will be made public so that everyone involved will directly profit from it. Everyone involved here are busninessmen (and women) so i really wouldn't be surprised of this. This could be because of the fact that i watch too many movies and as a result, i feel everything is a conspiracy...this website...by the way, wasn't put on by Daniel Negraneau, it was put on by a few online players who just wanted an inside line on all our play...did ya know that? huh? i bet you didnt...partypoker? canadian group who's gonna eventually issue enough bad beats to every winning player on their to diminish their net gains to net losses...oh, i have a bunch....perhaps i should start a new thread...