is it possible to attract certain players?

I have this theory about my tournament play. I could be in a tourney with one million other players. Out of all of those players there is one who will call any raise with the crappiest cards you could possibly have, yet gets lucky as hell on a regular basis. And this one player will find his way to my table when I'm holding a good starting hand.For example... I have AK suited... I raise 4X the BB and get one caller. On the flop I catch an ace plus two of my suit. Thinking I could take the pot right there I move all-in. Much to my surprize I get called. My opponent turns up J6 unsuited... He has no pair, and no draw, yet he calls nearly 1/2 his stack. Then he catches a J on the turn and 6 on the river. Riiiight.Another fine example... Again with AK suited and a 4X preflop raise. I get one caller. The flop is Q 10 2, none of my suit. I decide to throw out a bet a little more than 1/2 the size of the pot. My opponent calls. Now I'm thinking he must have caught a piece of that flop, or he has a pocket pair. The turn is another Q. This time I just check because I've convinced myself that I'm probably beat and my opponent checks as well. The river is a 4. I check again, figuring I'll fold if he bets anything at all. Although I'm sort of thinking I might actually win with high card. Then my opponent checks and turns up K 4 offsuit and wins the pot with a pair of fours.I could go on and on with a dozen more stories, but I won't bore everyone to death. I just want to know if it's possible that I'm doing something to entice people to make such calls against me? Or am I just very unlucky?

you think its unlucky to have k4 or j6 call you when you have AKs???Aks v k4 is 77-23 basically you win 3 of 4 timesaks v j6 is 70-30 you win 7 out of 10 timeshow is that UNLUCKY?

you think its unlucky to have k4 or j6 call you when you have AKs???Aks v k4 is 77-23 basically you win 3 of 4 timesaks v j6 is 70-30 you win 7 out of 10 timeshow is that UNLUCKY?
You can ask anyone that I play with on a regular basis... I constantly get knocked out of tourneys by people calling my big raises with hands like that. It has reached a point to which I'm almost afraid to play good hands anymore. I know the rule is that AK should beat K4 3 out of 4 times... I guess I'm the exception to the rule. It's actually quite depressing.

That reminds me of this guy I played with Saturday night. He would call with anything that added up to more than 6 (didn't see him play 23 or 24, though maybe he just never showed).Hand 1: UTG calls, CO raises 4Xbb, he calls in the sb, UTG goes all in for like 50 big blinds more, CO calls, he calls. When all is said and done, he has J4 spades.. He lost that one.Hand 2: No preflop action really. Flop comes down AJ4 2 spades. My friend goes all in, which is like 2X the pot. He calls with... 83, 1 spade. My friend had AJ and when it came runner runner spades to knock him out, he was a tad bit pissed.

plus after the flop the guy has to catch 4-6 outs twice, depending on if he holds the flush cards, he has more(6) outs. Your about 97% favorite at this point lol it happens... Lots of dead money in tournaments. Be glad.

You can ask anyone that I play with on a regular basis... I constantly get knocked out of tourneys by people calling my big raises with hands like that. It has reached a point to which I'm almost afraid to play good hands anymore. I know the rule is that AK should beat K4 3 out of 4 times... I guess I'm the exception to the rule. It's actually quite depressing.
my friend is in the same boat actually... he plays great, then always gets his money in with the best and comes out a loser... its amazing really.im not really sure how to fix that though, other than play in more cash games this way the money you lose will most likely stay on the table and you can get it back, cuz in tournaments one bad card and its go home

I'd say it's unlucky. How is being a 75% favorite and losing not unlucky?Funny thing about tournaments is that to get unlucky and lose you need to get unlucky against someone who has as many or ussually mroe chips than you do....Hmm.....Maybe it's not the hands that are knocking you out that are the problem....

Funny thing about tournaments is that to get unlucky and lose you need to get unlucky against someone who has as many or ussually mroe chips than you do....Hmm.....Maybe it's not the hands that are knocking you out that are the problem....
Actually, I have picked up on that. It almost always occurs late in a tourney, near the payout level, and it's against someone with more chips than me.Here's another good one. I was playing in an Amatuer Poker League tourney last week. I wasn't having a great night really. I just happened to get lucky on a few hands and double up at the right times. Nonetheless, I was short stacked when it got down to the final two tables. The blinds were 500/1000 and I had 5000 chips. At this point I got moved to a different table. The very first hand I was dealt AJ suited... Not a great hand I know, but when you're short stacked it looks pretty good. Well, UTG moves all-in with 4000 chips and I call him. The player to my left reraises to put me all-in, I really didn't see any other choice but to call. UTG turns up A 10 suited... Again, he was short stacked as well so it seemed like a decent move. But the player to my left turned up 6 2 unsuited. She was out of position and the bet was a decent portion of her stack. But, sure enough, she catches a 6 and knocks us both out of the tourney. She went on to take 2nd place in the tourney. I guess the only thing that made me feel better about the whole thing is that my wife ended up taking her out and winning the tourney.Anyway, this just seems to be the way it goes for me on a regular basis. I really enjoy playing tourneys, but this is starting to get very frustrating. I'm starting to believe that my parents lost a bet with God. :roll:
The blinds were 500/1000 and I had 5000 chips. At this point I got moved to a different table. The very first hand I was dealt AJ suited... Not a great hand I know, but when you're short stacked it looks pretty good. Well, UTG moves all-in with 4000 chips and I call him. The player to my left reraises to put me all-in, I really didn't see any other choice but to call.
Not to knock on you too much, but it seems as though you're pretty new to the game. You have 5K left, but choose to call instead of putting it all in? What were you going to do with the other thousand? Would the other guy had called if you put it in, probably, but you have to put it in. My guess is that you'll agree you're a tight player, but my guess is that you are a tight / weak player and usually short stacked. Yes, people will gamble late in tourneys, but I think Smash is right, I don't think it's the people calling you, I think you're putting yourself in position to get called from K4 off etc, that's why it is happening more often than you would like it to.
Not to knock on you too much' date=' but it seems as though you're pretty new to the game. You have 5K left, but choose to call instead of putting it all in? What were you going to do with the other thousand? Would the other guy had called if you put it in, probably, but you have to put it in. My guess is that you'll agree you're a tight player, but my guess is that you are a tight / weak player and usually short stacked. Yes, people will gamble late in tourneys, but I think Smash is right, I don't think it's the people calling you, I think you're putting yourself in position to get called from K4 off etc, that's why it is happening more often than you would like it to.[/quote']I don't know if I'm tight/weak or not. I do play pretty tight... I don't call a lot of bets. I'm usually the raiser and /or the aggressor in most hands I play. I do try to occasionally limp in with suited connecters and such, which I believe is a pretty standard play. With calling the 4000 instead of going all-in to begin with... That was a mistake I made in the game. I realized it after I said I'll call, but it was too late to change my bet to all-in. I just didn't want to go into all of that detail in my previous message.I've been playing online poker for a little more than a year now. Been playing live tourneys for about 6 months. I'll be the first to admit I have a LOT to learn about this game. One correction I will make though... I'm usually not short stacked. When it gets near the payout level I usually find myself with quite a few chips. I just seem to always end up at the same table with a player that has a monster stack and they're willing to call any raise I make with any two cards.