quiz question #8

only a very tight player would probably lay it down here.
With the exception of DN, Ivey, Hansen and their like how does the average pro play the first 2 levels prior to ante's?Very tight and passivePainfully wrong - don't think so
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's day one of a WPT event and you have your chips up to about 11,100 from it's original 10,000.  The blinds are still 25-50 and you look down at Q :D  Q :) and make it 150 to go.  The button calls as does the big blind.  The flop comes: J :D  9 :)  2 :)  and the big blind checks to you.  You bet 400 and the button calls.  The big blind now check raises you to 1900, 1500 more.  You call and the button folds.  The turn card comes the K :D  and your opponent bets 5500.  You now have a flush draw as well as a straight draw.  Based on what you know of the player you are quite sure that you are up against two pair, trips, A :club:  J,  or possibly a very small flush.  The King doesn't scare you at all, but you are stil pretty sure that your opponent has the best hand.  What would you do?
With the blinds so small there is no reason to gamble with QQ when he could have hit a gutshot, flush, or a set. He could even be bluffing you with just Ah-x, in which case he still has 3 aces and 8 spades in the deck left to hit. If he has paired his x card (Ah-j, Ah-9, Ah-2) then that's 3 more outs... easy fold.
only a very tight player would probably lay it down here.
With the exception of DN, Ivey, Hansen and their like how does the average pro play the first 2 levels prior to ante's?Very tight and passivePainfully wrong - don't think so
Looks like this is turning into a nitpicking fest.

Gavin's two overbets tell me one thing:He does NOT want another heart to hit the board. He wants Daniel out of the hand or pay dearly for another card.He's either got a set(14 outs against), small flush(7 outs) or 2 pair(19 outs)If you give him a 33% chance of each that gives Daniel effectively 13 outs.If Daniel calls and a heart hits - he just needs a little extra money on the river to make the call correct and be well on his way in the tournament.If he misses he can fold and play comfortably with his stack at the current limits.Ok..Ok I would have probably folded too...but I think this is what Daniel was thinking.

I would have to go all in, after all its only money. LOL. Well it may also depend on my opponet also. Now if we were playing for some of the stakes I normally play for I'd have to say hell no.

I know i'm late with this reply, but depending on your seat position you allready messed up pre-flop. In my humble opinion your raise allowed people to sneak in with low suited cards in hopes of hitting their hand. All you are left to do after the turn is kick yourself and next time make it a little pricier for people to play.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I kind of agree with everybody else. Since you are commiting most of your chips getting only about two to one pot odds with a flush draw that isn't even for the nuts and feel that you are almost definitly beat, it is most likely an annoying but still pretty easy laydown to make. Plus with that board (Jh 9h 2h Ks) the most likely hands for your opponent to be playing fast are JJ, 99, 22, a small flush or AhKx. All these hands are beating you as is J9 even. If he is holding a nut hand like Ah 10h you are drawing dead as well. (although this hand is unlikely because the player you are up against clearly doesn't want action) I really can't think of a hand legitimate hand that you are beating besides an AhJx. Even if your opponent just has Ahjx or the naked ace of hearts he could still draw out on the river. Muck your queens and find a better spot. 8)A note to everyone who seems to want to beilieve that Ah Jx is the most likely holding up DN's opponent: Even it was Ah Jx in this singular case DN already quoted that he did not feel like his opponent was that weak. So his read told him the opposite of what alot of very smart guys are making very cogent arguments for. The second manipulation of the actual facts I've heard is that his oppenent was somehow" slowing playing" thus making a set unlikely. But how does checkraising from 400 to 1900 constitute a slowplay? Since when is quadrupling the bet slow? Perhaps Daniel's opponent check raised a set on the flop with the idea of possibly passing if Daniel reraised all- in at that point. Once the off suit king fell his opponent probably wanted to accomplish two ends. 1. Take down a good down sized pot then and there without giving Daniel a chance for a cheap draw in case he were holding AhKx or Ah Jx. Or 2. Knowing DN's propensity for playing low suited connectors, possibley make Daniel fold a low flush. What's the object of a good bet: Make a draw pay too high a price or make a better hand fold etc. Since Daniel read his opponent for strength, why not read him for making a good bet here? After all DN hasn't really invested that much and surely must feel that he can outplay his opponents in smaller or at least more clear cut situations. Oh by the way In this spot if I read my opponent for a bluff I would probably call and hope to show down the river for free no matter what card hit(with the possible exception of an off suit ace) but it's totally different to me when you have to ignore your read to make a chopligical argument for calling with bad odds because your opponent might have the one hand you are actually beating.Anybody who wants to respond please feel free to poke a hole in my logic. Maybe there is some element I'm missing here.

• 2 weeks later...

well i know daniel probly got tired before he got to here lol, alot of stuff to read, but if i were put in that place ide most likley fold. To early to play this big a hand, ur not pot commited, the chances of hitting ur flush here is 20%, so ide fold and wait for a better spot

Announcements