2/4 Full Tilt 8 max, 7 handed3rd hand at table, no readsRISE is button with A :D 6 :D pf: 4 folds, RISE raises, SB 3-bets, BB folds, RISE callsFlop: (7 SB) K :) 6 :) 2 :club: SB checks, RISE bets, SB raises, RISE callsTurn:(5.5 BB) 7 :D SB bets, RISE callsRiver:(7.5 BB) A :) SB bets, RISE raises...i think these blind stealing hands are my biggest leak

A turn fold is probably in order here. I hate to give up on these though so I might end up in the same spot you were. Villain had AK didn't he?

very read based.I chk behind on that flop, a lot, unless I know that a c/r means I'm folding a blank turn. Against a tricky/aggressive opponent, I'd get to showdown here by checking the flop and calling down, given that nice river.As played, fold the turn without a read that he is ultra aggressive protecting vs blind steals. Even if your 5 outs are clean, you need better pot odds. And I doubt you are ahead enough to offset that, vs most players.

I'm butting in here. I'm not suggesting this would be the correct play, but I'm naturally a wimp.......... Why wouldn't we check behind villian on the flop ? I'm afraid with his 3 bet preflop that he has a pp higher than the 6's or he may have paired the king. Why are we betting the flop ? Is it to continue to look strong or do we really think our pair of 6's is good ? Thanks in advance !

This may be just anecdotal evidence, but it seems to me that more often than not the 3-bet or cap pre followed by a check on the flop often means some kind of monster. How to apply this knowledge, I am not sure, as I don't know if I bet that flop or not, but after being check-raised, and calling with my 10-1 odds, I am folding the turn UI. So I think I like checking behind on that flop, but after doing so is folding the turn UI too weak? Because on the turn we don't have the odds to improve, and the pot being so small, are we really picking off a bluff with AQ or something enough to call down?

i think these blind stealing hands are my biggest leak
I don't consider this a blind stealing hand.Your button raise was for value since you likely legitimately had the best hand at that point.
Why are we checking flop we take down the pot right there most of the time.
When SB 3bets preflop, he will never fold to 1 bet on the flop.Betting out will not take down the flop right there.------I believe that I have a habit of treating these plays differently than most.When I open raise and am 3bet by a blind, I very frequently cap prefllop- regardless of how marginal my hand is.Downside: - I spend another small bet even though I am probably behind and possibly dominated.Upside: - Villain will often check to me on the flop and/or turn (either out of caution or as an attempt for a check-raise). So I will have the opportunity to save a bet and and get my money back easily enough.- If Villain still comes out firing after my flop cap, I can view this aggression as genuine and more comfortably fold before showdown.Thus this often results in saving bets as well.- Fold equity. If sb misses with his high cards or small pocket pair, he may assume his hand is no good by the river.Thus even if I missed as well with my weak A6, the pot still may be mine.- Once my loose capping standards are noticed, I will then obviously be able to maximize my full value from my legitamate hands in the future.Conclusion: I feel that the preflop cap makes it easier to make post flop decisions, and thus is worth the extra small bet.With OP's hand, had I capped preflop, Villain's check raise would have certainly shut me down on the turn.--CM
  • 2 weeks later...
------I believe that I have a habit of treating these plays differently than most.When I open raise and am 3bet by a blind, I very frequently cap prefllop- regardless of how marginal my hand is.Downside: - I spend another small bet even though I am probably behind and possibly dominated.Upside: - Villain will often check to me on the flop and/or turn (either out of caution or as an attempt for a check-raise). So I will have the opportunity to save a bet and and get my money back easily enough.- If Villain still comes out firing after my flop cap, I can view this aggression as genuine and more comfortably fold before showdown.Thus this often results in saving bets as well.- Fold equity. If sb misses with his high cards or small pocket pair, he may assume his hand is no good by the river.Thus even if I missed as well with my weak A6, the pot still may be mine.- Once my loose capping standards are noticed, I will then obviously be able to maximize my full value from my legitamate hands in the future.Conclusion: I feel that the preflop cap makes it easier to make post flop decisions, and thus is worth the extra small bet.With OP's hand, had I capped preflop, Villain's check raise would have certainly shut me down on the turn.--CM
Me too. People make the wrong adjustments against me, and "lie in the weeds" etc. Instead of 3-betting my 97s button raise for value with AJs, they play it slowly/slyly, unhappy about the prospects of an auto-cap and eager to "jump out at me" when they flop goot.If I'm raising from a steal position, I'll cap like 10x more often than most people, mostly for the same reasons Coran states. People just start playing all worse, because people suck.WangPS- As a rule, this generally pays the highest dividends at like the 1-2 ----> 5-10 limit range, maybe up to 10/20. If you start doing this against really bad players, they'll just grudgingly bet/raise you to showdown, making the information worthless. If you do it against really good players, they'll know EXACTLY what you're doing, and make the appropriate adjustments, and grudgingly take a lot of hands to showdown (but for the right reasons). The thing is, you're still in position with a well-concealed hand, so there's not all THAT much a good player can do to take advantage of you.