How Often Do You Three-bet Bluff The Turn?

Three-bet bluffing the turn  

10 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you do it personally ?

• Once every time around the table
    • Once every 100 hands
    • Once every 2 hours two-tabling
    • Once every 5 hours two-tabling
    • Once a month
    • Once a year
    • Never
    • I play 800 tables at once and never even consider such read-dependent moves
  2. 2. How often do you think is optimal?

• Once every 100 hands
    • Once every 2 hours two-tabling
    • Once every 5 hours two-tabling
    • Once a month
    • It's never a good play, it's just silly FPS

I'm not a big fan of posting hands in SHLHE strat since they're so read-dependent, so I figured I'd post a general question and see what people thought about it. I'll chime in once there are a few responses.

I much prefer 3-betting the flop and betting the turn if I can. I don't often encounter times where a 3-bet turn bluff could work, although I can certainly dream up a scenario. I'm not sure I've ever done it without being on tilt. lol

Personally, I think in a five-hour session, I can usually find one time to correctly three-bet the turn on a bluff. Someone will be fed up with me, and based on timing or history or something, I can tell they're trying to put a move on me on the turn, but I've got queen high or something and can't just call them down.The problem is that it's an easy move to go back to when you get frustrated, and if you're tilting at all, it's usually a huge spew. I say when I stick to once a five-hour session, I do well with it, but when I do it two or three times in that time period, (which I tend to do if I get tilted at all), it turns into a spew.

And just because it took me forever to find an example in my PT database (and even longer to find a HH converter that wasn't down), here's an example of a hand where I successfully 3-bet bluffed the turn. Usually though, I think it's a play that works better when it's HU from start to finish and you suspect a slightly tilted player was calling the flop with the express intention of bluffing the turn, or calling with naked overcards.PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) internettexasholdem.comPreflop: Hero is SB with J :), K :D. 3 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.Flop: (7 SB) 8 :club:, 6 :), 7 :D(3 players)Hero bets, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.Turn: (4.50 BB) T :D(2 players)Hero bets, MP2 raises, Hero 3-bets, MP2 folds.Final Pot: 9.50 BB(Note: I realize this specific example isn't short-handed, but there was no action until it was down to 6-handed anyway, and a SH game is where I'd be most likely to use this move.)

I never do it. I still make plenty of money playing LHE.I have played HU matches where I do things like this, but never fullring or even SH.GB
Me neither. People will almost never lay down to a 3-bet on the turn in my games, plus..I usually snap m off at the river by just calling their bluff with my A high.
I have played HU matches where I do things like this, but never fullring or even SH.
Yeah, I do this in heads up situations.Blind battles, etc.--cm

Well, I've been playing a lot of 3 and 4-handed games lately, and even some HU. That's where most of these situations have come up, even though the one example I came across was from a 9-handed game. I certainly don't think you "have to" 3-bet bluff the turn ever. Just that occasionally, situations arise where it's +EV with a good read.

Well, three-bet "bluffing" is a lot riskier than three-bet semi-bluffing. And, you pretty much need a read that villain is decently capable of raise/folding...and not many villains are.