What The Hell?

That is awesome news, Lou is the man!Basically he traded Malakov and a 1st and got Gio and Paul Martin in return! With the devils scouting, that first rounder can likely be covered and rumour has it that the devils may be getting off the hook for Mogilney's salary too due to long term injury, giving them room to sign hale and clemmy.Lou is a miracle man!

San Jose got a 1st round pick for a guy who wasn't going to sign with them (koryluk). If they have the Cap space, which they do, it was a fantastic trade for them.
This trade is fantastic for the devils, they got the space to sign their top goal scorer from last year and their best young defenceman, plus a guy who they may be able to sign next year when they will be flush with space, in return they only give up a first, which with the devils scouting history they should be able to cover, no problem

good for both teams. devils get cap space. players aren't really that useful. korky will be a 3rd liner if he comes over next year. fahey was our 7th or 8th defenceman at best.sharks get a conditional 1st rounder. our draft history speaks for itself. also we get a really expensive backup defenceman but we have cap room to spare.

I was kind of hoping the Blues would make this trade, or something like it. The trade would have been perfect for both parties. I didn't realize San Jose had enough cap room to make this deal. More power to them, I guess. I'm disappointed.

Devils Dump MalakhovCan anyone explain to me why this trade makes any sense for the Sharks? Obviously, the Devs are thrilled to be ridding themselves of the $3 million salary of a retired player, but why would the Sharks take it on?
They take it on because they get a draft pick for doing so. Malakhov doesn't actually have to be paid, but he does count against the cap thus affecting revenue sharing. I'm not sure where the Sharks stand on the revenue sharing scale, but I guess they viewed the pick as more valuable to the franchise.
They take it on because they get a draft pick for doing so. Malakhov doesn't actually have to be paid, but he does count against the cap thus affecting revenue sharing. I'm not sure where the Sharks stand on the revenue sharing scale, but I guess they viewed the pick as more valuable to the franchise.
Ok, that makes more sense. I was under the impression that they had to pay him not to play, but if they have the cap space this year and no need to fill it with a player, $3 million is a cheap price for an extra first rounder. Now it makes perfect sense. Nice deal for both teams.
This will have some impact on the Sharks trading deadline ability, even if most of VM's cap hit is absorbed by then, it will still have some kind of impact.
This will have some impact on the Sharks trading deadline ability, even if most of VM's cap hit is absorbed by then, it will still have some kind of impact.
I think the only thing San Jose is looking to trade is Nabokov and his salary.
I think the only thing San Jose is looking to trade is Nabokov and his salary.
Yep. For now. You never know what can happen around deadline time....a couple of injuries that are not permitted cap relief, underperformance by a suspect defensive corps...all the while battling for playoff position...perhaps they need to do something around deadline time...I enjoy the flexibility...mmmm...flexibility.
Not much. If the payroll stays and the Sharks have $3 million in cap space until trade deadline they can take on a $6 million player which is about as much as anyone in the league makes. All that's provided the Sharks don't save even more by moving Nabokov or Toskala.