Gonna Do It Right This Time

I am about to deposit $1000 onto a sight. I am going to track my hands and attempt to play for at least 5 hours a day.I am going to attempt to follow bankroll management procedures but I think that I am going to start at 50nl. This is only 20 buy ins and I know I need around 30 but I don't want to play for change. A couple of questions. Which site do you like? I have only played on party once, never on stars, mainly full tilt. Is this the thing to do? Should I save up a little more? And I am thinking about rakeback but don't know much about the sites excepte full tilt and since I have an account there I don't think that it will work.I am not trying to live off of this just try to build a bankroll. Thanks and any more advice would be appreciated.

I am about to deposit $1000 onto a sight. I am going to track my hands and attempt to play for at least 5 hours a day.I am going to attempt to follow bankroll management procedures but I think that I am going to start at 50nl. This is only 20 buy ins and I know I need around 30 but I don't want to play for change. A couple of questions. Which site do you like? I have only played on party once, never on stars, mainly full tilt. Is this the thing to do? Should I save up a little more? I am not trying to live off of this just try to build a bankroll. Thanks and any more advice would be appreciated.
If you are 100% confident and know that you can beat the game, then 20 buy-ins isn't a terrible way to start out,(Most guys want to start out with 5 buy ins) but I would say you should be playing 25NL with 40 buy ins. If you go on a real cold streak, you would completely die in the 50NL, but in 25NL you could still have a fighting chance with 2x the buy ins. And if you have a good month of 25NL you could easily move up to 50NL in a month anyway, if that was what you really wanted to do. So I would say to start out at 25NL then, if you have a good month or two and you show yourself good numbers, move up.
If you are 100% confident and know that you can beat the game, then 20 buy-ins isn't a terrible way to start out,(Most guys want to start out with 5 buy ins) but I would say you should be playing 25NL with 40 buy ins. If you go on a real cold streak, you would completely die in the 50NL, but in 25NL you could still have a fighting chance with 2x the buy ins. And if you have a good month of 25NL you could easily move up to 50NL in a month anyway, if that was what you really wanted to do. So I would say to start out at 25NL then, if you have a good month or two and you show yourself good numbers, move up.
Thats true. I could at least do it for a month or so and see how the streaks run. What sites do you like
Thats true. I could at least do it for a month or so and see how the streaks run. What sites do you like
It really would't hurt. Especially since you seem more like the type that plays the game more seriously and wants to stick within your bankroll. Most morons who deposit $1,000 are going to head straight to the 400NL, or higher. In the long run they will never win, but hey, that's how they want to play. I have friend who deposites $600 every week and sits at 600NL, lol. I tell him, why not save up a few weeks worth and grind it out at 100NL? he says"Those games are too small, I need to win big pots." And every night, he loses, lol.As far as sites go, Party Poker has a TON of NL games going at all hours, and I am sure they are pretty fish infested, so you would have fun there, althought they do not have any rakeback. Poker stars is another big site that has many games going, but they too do not have rakeback. If you were only going to be playing once or twice a week, the rakeback wouldn't help you too much but since you said you want to be playing 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, then rakeback would be your best bet to help you out through the struggles and get you that extra cash for free.Full-Tilt has a decent rakeback set up and they sometimes offer deposit bonuses. I here that Absolute Poker has great rakeback and reload bonuses from Abba, but I'm not sure how the NL games run down there. Check out Full Tilt and Absolute and see what games they have going at what times you are likely to be playing and decide from there, but rememeber get rakeback, since you will be playing a lot.
It really would't hurt. Especially since you seem more like the type that plays the game more seriously and wants to stick within your bankroll. Most morons who deposit $1,000 are going to head straight to the 400NL, or higher. In the long run they will never win, but hey, that's how they want to play. I have friend who deposites $600 every week and sits at 600NL, lol. I tell him, why not save up a few weeks worth and grind it out at 100NL? he says"Those games are too small, I need to win big pots." And every night, he loses, lol.As far as sites go, Party Poker has a TON of NL games going at all hours, and I am sure they are pretty fish infested, so you would have fun there, althought they do not have any rakeback. Poker stars is another big site that has many games going, but they too do not have rakeback. If you were only going to be playing once or twice a week, the rakeback wouldn't help you too much but since you said you want to be playing 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, then rakeback would be your best bet to help you out through the struggles and get you that extra cash for free.Full-Tilt has a decent rakeback set up and they sometimes offer deposit bonuses. I here that Absolute Poker has great rakeback and reload bonuses from Abba, but I'm not sure how the NL games run down there. Check out Full Tilt and Absolute and see what games they have going at what times you are likely to be playing and decide from there, but rememeber get rakeback, since you will be playing a lot.
ThanksI'll check them out
I am about to deposit $1000 onto a sight. I am going to track my hands and attempt to play for at least 5 hours a day.I am going to attempt to follow bankroll management procedures but I think that I am going to start at 50nl. This is only 20 buy ins and I know I need around 30 but I don't want to play for change.
yeah, that's about where I stopped reading,you sound really serious about doing it right.btw, I don't know the recommended BR for NL cash, I"m just basing this on your attitude.
yeah, that's about where I stopped reading,you sound really serious about doing it right.btw, I don't know the recommended BR for NL cash, I"m just basing this on your attitude.
Yes, I get what you're saying. Option A - The OP is going to "attempt" to follow roll management, but I think he means that he doesn't really know what he needs to be playing, so he is asking if 20 buy ins is enough. Either that, or Option B- he is going to play 50NL, lose a few buy ins and jump to 200NL to try and "get it back." I hope he doesn't try option B.
Yes, I get what you're saying. Option A - The OP is going to "attempt" to follow roll management, but I think he means that he doesn't really know what he needs to be playing, so he is asking if 20 buy ins is enough. Either that, or Option B- he is going to play 50NL, lose a few buy ins and jump to 200NL to try and "get it back." I hope he doesn't try option B.
I am not going to lose a few buy ins and jump up. I am going to stick with what I start with and move up when I need to. WHen I said attempt I meant that I know 20 buy ins is not ideal but I was wondering if I should save some more or go ahead with the 20. I did like your point about starting out at the 25 NL which is what I will probably do. The real reason I don't want to start and the micro limits is that is just not me. I want to play for something significant, but when I start at a level of 50 NL or 25 NL I am going to continue with that. And if I lose then I am either no good or the varience is kicking my ***. Actuary, if you think that by my comment of not wanting to play for change means then I am not serious then you are wrong. I am sure thats how it comes off but that was not my intention. I am not sure of the levels you play but if you want to play .05/.10 then be my guest. And its not that I think that I will win more money against better players. Its that I want to play for something, and even though 50 and 25 NL isn't alot of money in the grand scheme of things it is a level where I feel that I can start to build a bankroll. I am willing to deal with the swings with a 20 buyin BR and if I am wrong then I am wrong.
Actuary, if you think that by my comment of not wanting to play for change means then I am not serious then you are wrong. Its that I want to play for something, and even though 50 and 25 NL isn't alot of money in the grand scheme of things it is a level where I feel that I can start to build a bankroll.
Stop. Money is always significant. Whether you play 10NL or 1000NL, it is significant, because it is in relation to YOUR roll. If you only have 1000, there is nothing wrong with 25NL, and believe me, if you make a good month out of all of this, you will be happy. If I go and win $1,000 in a week, any 10NL player would kill to make that, but guys playing 100/200 would laugh at me. Money is significant to the player. Just because in your mind you only made, say, $100 a week, that is 4 buy ins. If you were playing 1000NL, you would be doing mighty fine with 4K a week. So you see, saying that you want something "to play for" is all wrong. It makes it seem like you are going to eventually play above your head, don't.When you are building your bankroll, all the money you win is something to play for. Just becuase $$$wise it doesn't seem like a lot, doesn't mean it isn't and that is most players problems. Think of it as building and moving up to 50NL.
Stop. Money is always significant. Whether you play 10NL or 1000NL, it is significant, because it is in relation to YOUR roll. If you only have 1000, there is nothing wrong with 25NL, and believe me, if you make a good month out of all of this, you will be happy. If I go and win $1,000 in a week, any 10NL player would kill to make that, but guys playing 100/200 would laugh at me. Money is significant to the player. Just because in your mind you only made, say, $100 a week, that is 4 buy ins. If you were playing 1000NL, you would be doing mighty fine with 4K a week. So you see, saying that you want something "to play for" is all wrong. It makes it seem like you are going to eventually play above your head, don't.When you are building your bankroll, all the money you win is something to play for. Just becuase $$$wise it doesn't seem like a lot, doesn't mean it isn't and that is most players problems. Think of it as building and moving up to 50NL.
You are right. I know any money added to my BR is excatly what I am looking for no matter the amount. I will start with 25NL becasue you are right and see where that takes me.
You are right. I know any money added to my BR is excatly what I am looking for no matter the amount. I will start with 25NL becasue you are right and see where that takes me.
Trust me, you will not regret it one bit. You are making the right choices. Just wait until you feel comfortable moving up. GL.
Trust me, you will not regret it one bit. You are making the right choices. Just wait until you feel comfortable moving up. GL.
My previous pattern was depoist a small amount, win some, lose, some win some, lose it all. And by small amount I mean 150 or somethign. But I decided I would save and do it right this time. So thanks for the adviceAny more would be appreciated?
My previous pattern was depoist a small amount, win some, lose, some win some, lose it all. And by small amount I mean 150 or somethign. But I decided I would save and do it right this time. So thanks for the adviceAny more would be appreciated?
why do you assume that this is the reason you always lose what you deposit?
Bodog= goldmine.Do it.

My advice? From your last statement I would advise you to be very careful. While at microlimits you will find a wider and more colorful species of fish that will put a bad beat on you, learning to beat those games can be very beneficial to advancing to the higher levels. Money won't make you a better player. While $25 NL may sound good, the competition will have changed. Perhaps you might want to consider LHE and $1/$2 to get aquainted with it or if you are determined to go with NL then maybe even drop lower than $25. Seeing as how I do not know you or your entire poker history I do not know how qualified my statement is, but it sounds like you are in doing a "get even" approach. The fields get tougher on the way up, not softer. Nothing wrong with it if you think you are ready for it of course. "A fool and his money are soon parted"

Actuary, if you think that by my comment of not wanting to play for change means then I am not serious then you are wrong. I am sure thats how it comes off but that was not my intention. I am not sure of the levels you play but if you want to play .05/.10 then be my guest. And its not that I think that I will win more money against better players. Its that I want to play for something, and even though 50 and 25 NL isn't alot of money in the grand scheme of things it is a level where I feel that I can start to build a bankroll. I am willing to deal with the swings with a 20 buyin BR and if I am wrong then I am wrong.
When one is attempting to build a roll and "do it the right way" and then say "I don't want to play for change" It rings hollow. "Change" will be the 100NL game eventually to you when you have 2000k role. But, honestly, I misread your intent and thought you were splitting hairs between 25NL (change) and 50NL (not change). But in fact you were not. So, carry on. My mistake. And as I see here, Corp has suggested you start with $1000 at $25 and I think that is great.As for me, I played Limit and always had at least 300BB. 500BB for SHLHE. Stopped playing when I was playing $2/4 with $3000. Yeah, a little cautious. Now I play STT"s. I skim the role each month; but play the $33's with the $1000 I leave in there. I also have the extra income outside of poker to replenish if ever necessary; but that got old (when I sucked). Now, since August 2005, my bankroll is self-supporting.is that enough about me!I don't have the gamble or endurance or desire to play the limits and number of hands I could to maximize my earnings, yet.
My advice? From your last statement I would advise you to be very careful. While at microlimits you will find a wider and more colorful species of fish that will put a bad beat on you, learning to beat those games can be very beneficial to advancing to the higher levels. Money won't make you a better player. While $25 NL may sound good, the competition will have changed. Perhaps you might want to consider LHE and $1/$2 to get aquainted with it or if you are determined to go with NL then maybe even drop lower than $25. Seeing as how I do not know you or your entire poker history I do not know how qualified my statement is, but it sounds like you are in doing a "get even" approach. The fields get tougher on the way up, not softer. Nothing wrong with it if you think you are ready for it of course. "A fool and his money are soon parted"
Anyone who has any sort of poker knowledge shouldn't have much problem with 25 or 50 NL. They are incredibly soft.
Bodog= goldmineThat is all
He ain't kiddin'. The nitwits there are lighting money on fire. They just REFUSE to belive that middle pair on a 4 flush board is beat. I misclick at least once per session because I'm laughing so hard at something that occurred at one of my other tables.
Anyone who has any sort of poker knowledge shouldn't have much problem with 25 or 50 NL. They are incredibly soft.
I don't disagree with you, I have played at that level at various times. That said, from the way he was talking I was not convinced that he has the confidence going into it to jump into the 25NL. While the game is soft if you aren't careful you can still blow a BR really fast just by making simple mistakes. $1000 should be relatively safe but if you can't beat the $5/$10 what makes you think you (and of course I don't mean you as in you directly) are ready to play $25? Perhaps I do err on the side of caution to much. That doesn't mean I am not ready to be aggressive on the tables, either :club: