Confused On The Turn..jj

No real read on Villain. Ive been playing straightforward, had been up to 80 but just got sucked out by a shortstack.I have 55, he has me covered.I raise to 2 OTB with JJ, he calls from the BB.Flop T43r. Pot is 4.I lead for 3 he calls.Turn, 4.I lead for 8, he raises to 17..Hero?I contemplated checking the turn behind, and calling a reasonable river bet since I didnt want to bloat the pot on such a dry board. If he has a ten he might fold to the turn bet, but bet the river. On the other hand, he might have something like 65, and I dont want to give such a hand a free card. I would also hate to see any Q,K or A, so I decided that betting was the best option.Comments?

I contemplated checking the turn behind, and calling a reasonable river bet since I didnt want to bloat the pot on such a dry board. If he has a ten he might fold to the turn bet, but bet the river. On the other hand, he might have something like 65, and I dont want to give such a hand a free card. I would also hate to see any Q,K or A, so I decided that betting was the best option.Comments?
I think checking the turn's bad cause the ten usually doesn't fold on the turn. I think you're much better off betting here.For the hand, these sort of situations I find myself calling down often enough unless I feel like the particular player dictates a fold. I would say standard line here is to call the turn and usually you'll get a chance to check the river. (Possibly value bet)

This could be a slow-played overpair as well, particularly if you've show a penchant for c-betting. I'm either folding or pushing. Sets are scary and likely as well. I don't think a 10 flat c/c and then raises the turn. I'm assuming he checked even though you said that you lead?

This could be a slow-played overpair as well, particularly if you've show a penchant for c-betting. I'm either folding or pushing. Sets are scary and likely as well. I don't think a 10 flat c/c and then raises the turn. I'm assuming he checked even though you said that you lead?
I like your analysis except for the pushing or folding part. By pushing I think we basically tunr our hand into air. Seeing a raise preflop, a bet on the flop and turn, and then seeing a raise allin he certainly won't call with a AT for example. A c/r with a straightdraw seems unlikely too.The above thoughts were for me reasosn to call down, since he also could be bluffing me here, or just have a ten.
I would say standard line here is to call the turn and usually you'll get a chance to check the river. (Possibly value bet)
Scott, if he pushes river easy fold?

He just can't have a 4 here so what hands are we concerned with? A call pre-flop doesn't seem like an AA-QQ or he'd probably reraise. Whole hand smacks of A10 - Q10 to me. Definitely call the turn and value bet river given the chance.

you're all forgeting one thing. He was bb and could have anything. OTB he might call with hands like A4, or 45, 34 suited because he thinks you are stealing. Plus the nothion of "if I hit my hand I'll win a big pot" is pretty prevalent in low limit tourney play especially if he puts you on an overpair.

I contemplated checking the turn behind, and calling a reasonable river bet since I didnt want to bloat the pot on such a dry board. If he has a ten he might fold to the turn bet, but bet the river. On the other hand, he might have something like 65, and I dont want to give such a hand a free card. I would also hate to see any Q,K or A, so I decided that betting was the best option.Comments?
For sure call the turn and see what the river is. The river is the most important part of this hand. On the turn you cannot check behind, so when you do bet and get raised, call the raise and see the river. It is very likely he is check raising with a 10, A10, K10, maybe even less, because he believes you have two over cards and that he is in front. The river is so vital to this hand. Your betting the turn is automatic, and his check raise is a easy call, just see the river, then decide from there.
He just can't have a 4 here so what hands are we concerned with? A call pre-flop doesn't seem like an AA-QQ or he'd probably reraise. Whole hand smacks of A10 - Q10 to me. Definitely call the turn and value bet river given the chance.
Exactly why don't you feel he could have a 4 here? We have no read on him at all. Plenty of folks at this level will call OOP with stuff like Q4 suited. Having hit second pair on the flop, he could easily have decide to "take on off" to see what the turn brought. Low and behold, he now has trips.Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that it is *likely* villain has a 4, I'm just saying it's definitely *possible*.
Wow, I must be missing something here. Everyone here wants to call this? We have 5 5 here folks. Easy fold for me here.
We have $55. We also have pocket Jacks.I totally understand how you read that, seriously.This is a tough hand and impossible to play without reads. He may be a thinking player and has seen you raise to $2 with a number of hands. A play at the pot seems most likely if the villian has any type of hand. He may be putting you on overcards. I agree with calling and seeing what happens on the river.

I HATE the amount you bet on the turn, I really think that's where your mistake is.I think you should have bet about 12, and if you get raised then you can get away from it easyPersonally I would have bet 5 but that's with reason too

I HATE the amount you bet on the turn, I really think that's where your mistake is.I think you should have bet about 12, and if you get raised then you can get away from it easyPersonally I would have bet 5 but that's with reason too
Why do you hate the turn bet? I always bet he turn with amounts like this so nobody can pick up a pattern. I bet like this with top set here, too. I appreciate if you go in further detail to why my betsizing is wrong in your opinion.Thnx for the comments so far btw.
Why do you hate the turn bet? I always bet he turn with amounts like this so nobody can pick up a pattern. I bet like this with top set here, too. I appreciate if you go in further detail to why my betsizing is wrong in your opinion.Thnx for the comments so far btw.
Sometimes it is better to define your hand. This is one of those cases.The 8 doesn't mean anything. He could be raising with the best hand now or the worst hand and you know nothing.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that it is *likely* villain has a 4, I'm just saying it's definitely *possible*.
Well, I donked this hand up quite bad. Called his raise, he pushed the river, I called. He didnt have a 4, he had two of them. :club: