Kinda Depressed. Took Shots Above Bankroll Requirement And Didn't Do Well.

I used to donk off portions of my roll playing at the higher limits when I was young and silly.After a while I just plugged that leak and have grown a roll that really grows just by playing within my roll.It's funny too.....so many people spend a lot of time at the low limits wishing they could play higher limits, and then take shots, lose a lot...and then get angry...well..if you grind it out at a certain limit/game that you can beat at a good rate...you'd be outta the low limits in a few months and into some decent size games and on your way...it's just about finding the game, having the skill, and having the mental and emotional discipline to do it.It's harder said that done..but do-able.I built a large portion of my roll playing NLHE cash games HU. Highly volatile, but very easy to beat, especially at the low $25, $50, and $100 buy in levels.I imagine $200nl wouldn't be too bad either, but I didn't play $200NL HU often..basically built a solid roll playing $50 and $100nl HU...I'd recommend it to those of you who are good at playing short handed nl already...and can handle swings.- Jordan

Taking 200 to a 5/10... that's just giving your money away. To the OP, continue taking those shots and hopefully you'll end up on the positive side of variance one of those times.
Not if you play shortstack strategy. It can actually be quite profitable, as big stacks will call shortie shoves with very marginal holdings.
It happens. To all of us.Whether its a .50/1.00 player who takes shots at 3/6 or a 10/20NL player who takes shots at 50/100NL, we all take shots over our head at some point. Unfortunately, most of the time we are shot back down.The important thing is to avoid tilting off the rest of your BR and to not move up in limits until you feel comfortable both financially and emotionally.
Like Hoosier said, it happens to all of us. I lost close to 13k last October in about a 24 hour span playing 10/25 NL on UB. Regardless what I think of how I played or the competition, it was a lesson in humility that I needed to learn. Heh I couldn't help myself though - I wanted an m3 and I needed just a bit more. ;-) A bit of a backfire though.... The OP should be thankful that he didn't go completely broke, and never forget the lesson he obviously should have learned. :-)

To OPwas there a reason you chose SH?>i've done this several times also, But since i'm playing a bit more scared than normal i stay clear of the short handed tables.mostly because i dont have the balls to be as aggressive when playing higherthats just me though soo who the hell knows

Dratj.....If your roll was at $2600, you really weren't out of you bankroll playing 2/4 or 3/6 limit. Looking back at it, do you feel you were really outplayed, on a run of negative varience, or playing with scared money ? Think about the specific reasons your stab at it didn't go well. Are you still playing at FullTilt? I love that site, but it is a lot tougher/tighter than many other sites.$1300 is a big chunk of change for me too, but you can't beat yourself up over it. You earned it before and you can make it again.Good Luck

Dratj.....If your roll was at $2600, you really weren't out of you bankroll playing 2/4 or 3/6 limit. Looking back at it, do you feel you were really outplayed, on a run of negative varience, or playing with scared money ? Think about the specific reasons your stab at it didn't go well. Are you still playing at FullTilt? I love that site, but it is a lot tougher/tighter than many other sites.$1300 is a big chunk of change for me too, but you can't beat yourself up over it. You earned it before and you can make it again.Good Luck
He was playing NL, not LHE
Okay, fist of all, you have no reason to be depressed. You took a stab and lost a decent portion of your smaller bank roll. No big deal, and it's only 1300 bucks. Secondly, if you did it because you were bored, consider maybe not playing online or diversifying the games you play. When i get bored i play plo at my usual limits. Something else i do when i'm bored is buy into a game way out of my roll for the min. For instance, I usually play 1/2 and 2/4. If i feel like messin around i'll buy into the 5/10 game for 200 bucks or so, and shove preflop with AQ or better. If I go broke I stop, if i double up a few times and have a proper stack, I'll play as I normally do. Although you need to get a little lucky to double up, it creates an automatic stop loss that you're roll can handle, even at a game out of your roll. Just a few ideas to consider.erac
i agree 100%if your gonna take shots, sit short.
My BR was only around $1800 when I started August, around $4300 when I finished August. definitely took shots WAYYYY above my BR, happened to work this time, definitely wont work in the long run. Right now I am using the 150BB rule instead of 300BB until I get smacked so hard I am forced to go way back downhere are my august stats ....pokertracker1.jpg25/50 and $1000 NL on $3000 BR? Thats just suicide.PS does anyone know if 163BB/100 is sustainable at $1000NL?
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!do you guys see the amount of money taken away as RAKE?LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The only ones getting rich are the lucky few at the top and the poker sites
I used to donk off portions of my roll playing at the higher limits when I was young and silly.After a while I just plugged that leak and have grown a roll that really grows just by playing within my roll.It's funny too.....so many people spend a lot of time at the low limits wishing they could play higher limits, and then take shots, lose a lot...and then get angry...well..if you grind it out at a certain limit/game that you can beat at a good rate...you'd be outta the low limits in a few months and into some decent size games and on your way...it's just about finding the game, having the skill, and having the mental and emotional discipline to do it.It's harder said that done..but do-able.I built a large portion of my roll playing NLHE cash games HU. Highly volatile, but very easy to beat, especially at the low $25, $50, and $100 buy in levels.I imagine $200nl wouldn't be too bad either, but I didn't play $200NL HU often..basically built a solid roll playing $50 and $100nl HU...I'd recommend it to those of you who are good at playing short handed nl already...and can handle swings.- Jordan
yah, I'm going back to grind 50 and maybe 100 nl. think maybe I'm going to take a couple of days off too.
I've done this about a brazillion times.It stings less the more stupid decisions you make. So either stop now completely, or keep it up. It's much easier when your BR is tiny though, cause then you just sit with it all, and when you lose, it sucks, cause you lost your whole BR... but at least it was only $100.So yeah... that's my sage advice. (I got paprika advice too).
Most people around here prefer oregano :club:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!do you guys see the amount of money taken away as RAKE?LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The only ones getting rich are the lucky few at the top and the poker sites
i just noticed that toorakeback is your friend
Does this ever end well for anyone? Anytime a post starts off with ,"I played above my bankroll ....." it always ends badly. We should all know better by now.
Because when people say "i played above my bankroll" what they usually mean (or at least whatthe truth of it usually is) that they played at tables that they arent capable of beating.If you take a shot at a limit game with only 50 big bets but you're good enough to handily beat the game, you will more often than not succeed (and be able to continue to play indefinitely absent of withdrawls)
Because when people say "i played above my bankroll" what they usually mean (or at least whatthe truth of it usually is) that they played at tables that they arent capable of beating.If you take a shot at a limit game with only 50 big bets but you're good enough to handily beat the game, you will more often than not succeed (and be able to continue to play indefinitely absent of withdrawls)
This might be the case in limit, but not for nl. I've routinely had 5-10 buy in downswings at limits that I kill. If you move up to a limit and only have 6 buy ins, you could easily be capable of killing the game and still go broke.
Okay, fist of all, you have no reason to be depressed. You took a stab and lost a decent portion of your smaller bank roll. No big deal, and it's only 1300 bucks. Secondly, if you did it because you were bored, consider maybe not playing online or diversifying the games you play. When i get bored i play plo at my usual limits. Something else i do when i'm bored is buy into a game way out of my roll for the min. For instance, I usually play 1/2 and 2/4. If i feel like messin around i'll buy into the 5/10 game for 200 bucks or so, and shove preflop with AQ or better. If I go broke I stop, if i double up a few times and have a proper stack, I'll play as I normally do. Although you need to get a little lucky to double up, it creates an automatic stop loss that you're roll can handle, even at a game out of your roll. Just a few ideas to consider.erac
i actually like this idea... even though i hate when someone buys in at my normal table for the min, cause i normally double them up a few times...
Poker is also rigged.- Jordan
That's why I switched to WPEX but it's not going to help if I go broke before getting the rakeback.
This might be the case in limit, but not for nl. I've routinely had 5-10 buy in downswings at limits that I kill. If you move up to a limit and only have 6 buy ins, you could easily be capable of killing the game and still go broke.
It doesnt matter that 5-10 buy in downswings are possible.For a winning player, they happen less often than 5-10 buy in upswings.