Analysis Of A Hand Vs. Maniac Deep In A Deepstacks Tourny

I would like to just give you a profile of the villain before I post the hand: this guy was the biggest maniac I've ever seen (calling all ins with j7 and 68 when not even sniffing decent pot odds). Down to the final 18 in the deepstacks 30+3 nlhe tourny on stars. I was 6/17 with about 220,000. Villian was huge chip leader with about 555,000. blinds were 2-4,000Villain (cutoff): raises to 18,000Hero (bb): KJ (no spades) callsflop: K 6 8 (3 spades)Hero: bets 20KVillian: callsturn: 10 clubsHero: moves all inThis problem is more complex because of the player i was dealing with. I mean, he was Danny Nguyen on stupid pills. That being said, how do you, the council of players, analyze the hand?

Your hand is weak on this board. First you should bet a bit more on the flop. But on the turn you should bet 1-2 to 3/4 of the pot, not move all-in. You bet 182,000 into a 76,000 pot. Why put all of your chips at risk when he could simply be calling you down with a flush? If you've already got a flush then go for it and hope he's either got a decent holding or he thinks you're bluffing. But not with a pair of kings.It's not more complex because he was LAG. Stick to the fundamentals.

id dump the hand, even with your top pair, he could have a vareity of two pair or flush draw, or he could have the nuts already and betting crazy to get you to call his erratic play, id find a better spot

I like the way you played it. Its risky, but I dont give much credit to a flopped flush, and if you happen to get up against the maniac holding AJ two pair or set thats awfully bad luck.20k is a good amount for an information/value bet, it prices out the immediate flush draw, and youre not going to pay him off with implied odds if a spade does hit. His flat call looks like a spade draw to me, from his seat he may only need 2:1 or even less if he has the As. If you bet too much more than 20k on the flop youre going to have trouble pricing out his river draw if the turn misses.The T hits on the turn which adds possible straight draws. Push and clearly kill the odds to a possible 15 outer.

IMO fold pf. I hate taking raises from loose players OOP. As played, pretty standard. I think you could bet the turn, w/o committing everything though.

:club: why are you playing a pot with KJ against the massive chip leader? Anytime I sit down at a table with a complete maniac, especially one with a huge chip lead, I want to make sure I have a premium hand. I will get paid off and I wont have to make any tough decisions. KJ just isnt a hand you want to play against a guy like that. Id play KJ against a rock but not a maniac.You are out of position as well. You played this hand wrong from the start. Should have mucked or checked.

I can see the argument for folding preflop here, especially since you are in position against him on most hands. The flip side is KJ is a huge hand against his raising range with decent odds to call. The size of his raise certainly makes it look like he doesnt want to encourage any action, and you are going to have to face off against him sometime soon or hes going to run over the table. Survive this hand and the maniac isnt going to be so maniacal, at least to your blinds, negating some of his positional advantage on those hands.the money in this tourney is in the final 4 or 5 places and I assume it was big enough that youre already in the payout structure. Thats an indication for gambling.If hes on a draw you should get the fold, and if hes got two pair youve got 14 outs of your own. If he has a set youre pretty much dead, but thats only 9 hands out of his very wide range.This is a hand Id love to see moved to DNs strategy thread, since its a critical situation that not many of us have much experience with.

IMO fold pf. I hate taking raises from loose players OOP.
That's why you should re-raise preflop. I'm not trying to make the maniac see the flop when he has been the aggressor. If I am seeing a flop, I want to be the aggressor and assert control of the hand, although KJo is a crappy hand OOP. BUT If I feel my KJo is best here very wild player who raised in LP (making his range of holdings wide), I'm re-raising everytime, especially if he tends to fold to big preflop raises. Maniacs, on the most part, don't like playing big pots before the flop without a big hand. They'll just fold and try to steal again the next hand.You might be re-stealing, but the way maniacs play, you also could be re-raising for value with the best of it (or a 3-2 dog if he has a hand like As4c). By just calling, you let him see flops with hands like 68s, K8s, and 97o that he could easily catch with.Re-raise, show your serious, and if happens to have Aces, good for f*ckin' him.
That's why you should re-raise preflop. I'm not trying to make the maniac see the flop when he has been the aggressor. If I am seeing a flop, I want to be the aggressor and assert control of the hand, although KJo is a crappy hand OOP. BUT If I feel my KJo is best here very wild player who raised in LP (making his range of holdings wide), I'm re-raising everytime, especially if he tends to fold to big preflop raises. Maniacs, on the most part, don't like playing big pots before the flop without a big hand. They'll just fold and try to steal again the next hand.You might be re-stealing, but the way maniacs play, you also could be re-raising for value with the best of it (or a 3-2 dog if he has a hand like As4c). By just calling, you let him see flops with hands like 68s, K8s, and 97o that he could easily catch with.Re-raise, show your serious, and if happens to have Aces, good for f*ckin' him.
I think youre right here. re-raising for value/steal is something I dont look at often enough.