Flopping A Set In A Reraised Pot (1/2)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Hero ($234.69)BB ($447.10)UTG ($215.50)MP ($210.77)Button ($252.35)Preflop: Hero is SB with 5heart.gif, 5club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $1. 1 fold, MP raises to $7, Button raises to $22, Hero (poster) calls $21, 1 fold, MP calls $15.Flop: ($65.5) Tspade.gif, Kspade.gif, 5diamond.gif(3 players)Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.Turn: ($65.5) 9spade.gif(3 players)Hero bets $65.5, MP calls $65.50, Button folds.River: ($196) 2spade.gif(2 players)Hero bets $20, MP raises to $123.27 (All-In), Hero calls $103.27.Final Pot: $442.54What do you think of how I played this hand? Feedback on all streets is welcome. Oh, also after I weak led the river, the original raiser who had folded was saying "push, punish him" into the chat box, which I thought might have made MP just a little more likely to bluff if he'd missed his hand.

Wow...I dunno, iggy. I think I fold this pre-flop without some good reads. (And I'm someone that loves calling small pre-flop re-raises w/ small/medium pairs.) How confident are you that MP isn't going to go over the top? Additionally, how sure are you that we're getting implied odds? If we're considering the whole stacks to likely be in play, I think it's a little more justifiable.As for the river...I've got a hard time calling the raise. I guess the $20 is intended as a blocker bet? Pretty crazy for him to bluff-raise in this spot, but I suppose it's possible.

The table's been pretty passive except for me. (I've basically been running it over.) I figured the chances of a reraise from MP were about 5%, and I figured button probably had AA or KK with a slight chance of QQ and a slighter chance of AK. That was about as wide of a range as I was willing to give him there.On the river, I figured that $20 was small enough that a worse hand could call, and I was hoping it might discourage a small flush from pushing into me. On the other hand though, it looks weak enough that it might encourage a bluff, so I didn't really feel comfortable laying down.The other option is obviously to check, and it does look like villian's on a flush draw, but I wouldn't have been confident enough in that assertion to lay down my set getting over 3.5 to 1 if he pushed into me. I guess a check could save me money against a flush that didn't think they were getting paid off for a push though.Note: Not that I had the stats handy at the time, but MP is 57/20 and Button is 18.5/10.5. Still, pretty sure this is the first reraise I've seen that wasn't by me in the hour I've been at the table.

probably one of the worst played NL hands ive seen made by a respected player.Probably fold preflop, but if in mood to gamble call...Dont check flop. Dont call river.

5-handed it's tough to put MP on a hand. I want to put him on J-J or 10-10, maybe even Q-Q, with one spade, though. By calling your turn bet, he's telegraphing a made flush or a flush draw. I don't see him playing this way with A-K without the As (with another A, he's betting the flop). So I close up shop on the river; a bluff, maybe, but he can have it; we're losing to so many hands here except unlikely pairs and a bluff. It seems weak, but I give this one up. I C/F there. Blocking bet backfired; I cut my losses in that case.Preflop call is ok but I am LAG in cash games (and terrible as well). Flop check is fine, as you have to figure this flop's getting action. Bad luck there, though.

Btw, dont think you can bet the river, and ever make money, other than bluffing a weak flush out of the pot.

I don't get it, you got exactly what you wanted on the flop, but were vulnerable, and didn't bet it.You figure he has aces and hope that one of them isn't a spade?

I don't get it, you got exactly what you wanted on the flop, but were vulnerable, and didn't bet it.You figure he has aces and hope that one of them isn't a spade?
Three way heavy preflop action I like checking here. You have to figure someone's going to take a stab at this pot. At which point the set can raise it up.Actually I think that betting out would be more profitable. That way other hands, say A-K, are forced to raise and define themselves; at which point you can then push.

How I would've played:Fold preflop to raise, re-raiseHow I would've played if I called preflopBet the pot on the flopPush all-in on the turnRiver would be a moot pointHow I would've played the hand up to the river:check/fold the river...i agree with the above poster...you cannot check the flop, 2 sooted and you have an A or K...this is perfect flop, your hand is disguised (what idiot calls raise/re-raise with 55 :club: )...you are going to get action from AK or AA...bet the hell out of this one.

On the river, I figured that $20 was small enough that a worse hand could call, and I was hoping it might discourage a small flush from pushing into me.
In Limit, I can see betting this river for Clarkmeister purposes, but I don't think it's as applicable in the NL realm.

Well, I checked the flop because I was about 90% sure that there would be a bet and I'd be able to check/raise and get it in right there. In retrospect, I guess a lead might have been better since I'd be able to get it all-in by the turn, but I really wasn't too worried about anybody drawing and I figured I'd make more on the hand when someone had a small piece they weren't comfortable getting all-in with.On the river, the pot odds were attractive enough that I didn't feel comfortable laying it down. I guess AK probably wouldn't bother bluffing, so all I really had to worry about was JJ or QQ with no club. Now that I have time to make an ample range, I'd guess this is only a bluff maybe 15% of the time, but at the time getting 3.5 to 1 with no lead or 4.5 to 1 with a lead, I figured I had to call.The only thing I can really say is definitively wrong now is the weak lead on the river. If this many people think calling a push with no club is crazy, then a check might have gotten villian to let me off easy with a big flush. I probably should have just gone for as cheap of a showdown as possible, hoping villian would bet something like $75 instead of moving his whole stack in. Although if villian bets half the pot with a made hand half of the time, but always pushes with a bluff, that means I have to call the river again. I don't think this is anywhere near as open and shut as it's being made out to be. I won't argue with check/folding being a slightly better line, but it's certainly a marginal decision.

Well, I think you've probably got the implied odds to call pre-flop. I probably wouldn't call, but I don't like being quite that speculative pre-flop, and I'd be more worried than you were about MP re-raising.I agree with most of the others that you have to bet this flop. On the river, as played, I think it's an easy fold. However, if you're willing to get all your money in, it would seem a lot better to have simply pushed yourself. If he's got some middle/low spade, he might let it go.

When he called u on the turn you should have known he had something..when spade on the river, I would have checked and not put more money in the pot.. and see what he does on the riverand maybe a call if he bets a reasonable amount and you would have saved some money

Wow this is one of the worst hands I've ever seen played especially by you who I definitely respect as a player. I'm glad you posted it though cause we all have breakdowns like this but not all of us will share them.Preflop: Cold calling $21 in the SB with 55 after a raise and reraise is atrocious but if your rolling in the dough I guess its worth a chance to stack cause without a doubt ur against at least on overpair. Flop: I know what you were thinking going for the C/R but I lead this flop every time out of the SB.Turn: Now we want to bet??????River: Terrible bet. Villian calls with any spade and ur screaming weakness betting $20 into a $200 pot. He raised, you fold. Open pushing the river is wayyyyyyyyyy better than bettn $20.

Fold preflop. implied odds just usually aren't there enough to call this reraise preflop at a shed game.flop: I don't know why everyone's getting on the C/R. we usually expect a bet here and it's an easy C/R. We missed it, but I don't think we miss it that often. Turn: We need to bet at this point don't we? We can't assume that both of these guys turned down the chance to bluff at this big pot w/ a draw. I think the turn bet is mandatory. maybe bring it down a little bit.River: C/F against passive players usually. River's a closer call against a LAG.

WOW . . . just WOW.This hand is a mess.Preflop call is questionable. However, I tend to call a lot preflop with small pocket pairs for expected value reasons . . . so I can understand.Being first to act I can understand checking the flop since you can safely assume 99% of the time one of the original raisers would bet it out. A lead would be OK too, but overall I think the check is "OK". However, when they both check behind you that is a clear sign of either total strength like KK hitting top set (doubtful but still possible) or a hand like AQ, QQ, JJ, 1010, 99 (etc.). I doubt AK would check here (atleast i wouldn't if I had AK).So a spade hits the turn and you lead out. Since neither of them bet the flop, you have a set, this is a good bet to kind of see where your at. You get one call, one fold. The call should really concern you. To me this screams either high pocket pair like QQ or JJ possibly with a spade or a hand like AQ with a spade, or an already made flush with suited connectors or something.The river brings a 4 flush to the board. This is where this hand really bothers me. Yes you have a set, but you are now beat by any spade . . . any spade! To me you have two options . . . either you push yourself trying to represent the big flush . . . or you check/fold. The $20 bet into such a big pot screams "my hand is marginal". Think about it. If you were really strong (let's say you had the nut flush) you would make a much more appropriate value bet on this river . . . definately not $20. Your opponent if he has half a brain will push this river . . . especially if he has the nuts or close to it. The call on the river is, well, REALLY BAD!!

I think it's marginally good against certain players.
I guess you would really have to know the player . . but I think 99% of the time this is an easy fold. A small flush 7, 8, 9 high . . . or even less would simply call the $20 just to see the showdown hceap and hope to get lucky. I can't see them pushing here. To me, only a really strong hand pushes here for fear of the flush themselves.
I think it's marginally good against certain players.
Ive made calls like this before, and been right, but I never put out a blocking bet. I think once a blocking bet gets raised, its an easy laydown.
The $20 bet into such a big pot screams "my hand is marginal". Think about it. If you were really strong (let's say you had the nut flush) you would make a much more appropriate value bet on this river . . . definately not $20. Your opponent if he has half a brain will push this river . . . especially if he has the nuts or close to it. The call on the river is, well, REALLY BAD!!
I guess you would really have to know the player . . but I think 99% of the time this is an easy fold. A small flush 7, 8, 9 high . . . or even less would simply call the $20 just to see the showdown hceap and hope to get lucky. I can't see them pushing here. To me, only a really strong hand pushes here for fear of the flush themselves.
Make up your mind. Either I'm showing so much weakness that villian will push if he missed his flush or villian will only push with the nuts, it can't be both.

Man iggy, I've been reading about these hands you've been playing and I gotta be honest, they were all pretty poorly played.This hand doesn't divert from that. It's a real mess.Preflop: Fold. You're facing and a re-raise and you're out of position for the entire hand. Basically, you're calling praying to God that you hit a set because if you don't, there's no way you can win the pot because any bet on the flop you make will be called and most likely raised. You just throw your money away.Flop: Now that you've hit your set (lucky) and you had a raise and re-raise in front of you, why check the flop? Obviously if you're facing that much preflop action, somebody is bound to have a hand worth playing with after the flop. So bet out. Another reason to do is because there's a flush draw on the board as well and there are still two other players in the pot and you want to bet around half the pot to provide them bad odds for chasing. You want to sweeten the pot so if they chase and miss their draws, you take in a bigger pot. If you get raised on the flop, it's obvious that based on prior action that they have a hand that they're willing to commit all of their cash to. Based upon the flop and possible hand ranges, the only hands they'd raise preflop and postflop with given that board are KK, AK or AA. You beat two out of those three hands. So, basically only one possible hand can beat you. It may seem premature to do this, but I move all in here.Turn: Now that they called, you have to modify what hands they could have had. They obviously don't have a set. Otherwise they would have raised. If they were semi-decent players, they'd recognize that drawing to a flush with this much action is idiocy. On top of that, the action preflop doesn't justify somebody playing a hand like AQ or AJ spade suited or any other flush draw lower than that.The most likely holdings here are AA and AK. Therefore, you have to bet out once again. Probably about 2/3 or 3/4 the pot. If you get raised, then you can come to the conclusion that some idiot did decide to play a hand like AQ or AJ all the way through and did hit the flush. Then you have to lay your down (despite how hard that may be).River: A fourth spade. If you got this far based on my play, then you got really screwed. The most feasible hand any player could have here is AK with the ace of spades. The line of betting justifies that all the way through. Lady luck went against you. Check/fold.To sum this up, you played this terribly. And why, why did you call the river bet? You should either check/fold or push all-in (I'd prefer the former in this case).

i almost definitely fold preflop BUT, if i had stayed in, i woulda probably threw a 35 bet into the flop ... get rid of anyone on a flush draw and possibly catch someone wiht an AK, KQ, to make me alot of moneyps youre on pp, whats yur un, lets get some action! :-p