Yeah i've been reading him for years and he's always claimed he was in the hip group that came to like poker because of rounders - which is absurd in itself
Love simmons for his humor and his very keen analysis of the NBA (and his pretty decent football articles).I take any poker thoughts he has at face value. He thinks he knows poker but he doesnt. It is ok he has better things to do.
i checked every day on espn.com for that article to finally be up, and i don't know how you found it, although i suspect the link ending with "060818" implies it is going to be posted tomorrow. nice find, though.
I discovered a while ago that if you go to his archive you'll find articles that haven't shown up on page 2 yet. Especially with the magazine ones.

That was definitely one his worst columns ever from a poker standpoint and based upon pure entertainment value. The Sox got lucky too but so what.Actually, i've been a loyal reader of his for years so i'll let it slide. I did find this funny though..."Skanky models were everywhere handing out free stuff, prompting my buddy Hopper to crack, "What time are they due back at Cheetahs?" "While reading the above quote, I had to re-read it 3 times because i read it as "SKLANSKY models were everywhere handing out free stuff, prompting my buddy Hopper to crack, "What time are they due back at Cheetahs?" " and had to stop and think.

yeah but he's made claims in the past that he was hip to poker earlier than all the fly by night guys that play now and whined about the new popularity post moneymaker
I know this about the SG and poker: He's a donk. I love the SG as much as anyone, but he's such a poker bandwagon jumper. At first, he made fun of the poker boom. Then he jumped in and acted like he'd been on the bandwagon forever. Then he jumped off again, and then all of sudden he's playing in the ME again this year. Whatever dude...Mark
"Skanky models were everywhere handing out free stuff, prompting my buddy Hopper to crack, "What time are they due back at Cheetahs?" "While reading the above quote, I had to re-read it 3 times because i read it as "SKLANSKY models were everywhere handing out free stuff, prompting my buddy Hopper to crack, "What time are they due back at Cheetahs?" " and had to stop and think.
I just read it that way as well right now when I was reading your post. I guess that means I've officially become the dork that thinks poker first, skanky models second. *sigh*Mark

His article will be on the site tomorrow at some point. We'll have some pros weighing in on his play in an article on Monday.K-10s...The Bill Simmons...."I played a hand perfectly and somehow I lost a 20,000 pot""Holding K-10 suited, I called his $550 bet along with 2 others"

Worst description I've heard of a hand in awhile:And I wanted to pick him off. Holding K-10 suited, I called his $550 bet along with two others. The flop? K-10-6. First guy called. Jeff came barreling in for another $1,200. Third guy folded. And I knew four things: First, I had the best hand (nobody had trips, I could tell from the body language). Second, I needed to steal that $3,400 in the middle. Third, having played one big hand in two hours, everyone would know I meant business with an all-in wager. And fourth, with 20 grand in chips, Jeff George might be dumb enough to call me. Which he was. And you know what this nitwit had?"First guy called" - called what? Who bet?"I needed to steal that $3,400 in the middle" - why would you need to "steal" it, you have the best hand."nobody had trips" - yeah right you could tell from the body language you donk. I'm sure the guy with A K was acting a lot different than he would have if he had trips. You obviously had a great read on him, calling his big raise preflop with K 10 when he only had a puny A K.

I know this about the SG and poker: He's a donk. I love the SG as much as anyone, but he's such a poker bandwagon jumper. At first, he made fun of the poker boom. Then he jumped in and acted like he'd been on the bandwagon forever. Then he jumped off again, and then all of sudden he's playing in the ME again this year. Whatever dude...MarkI just read it that way as well right now when I was reading your post. I guess that means I've officially become the dork that thinks poker first, skanky models second. *sigh*Mark
i definitely think sklansky the first time too
the reckless idiot had top pair top kicker early on i a tournament where you have to build a massive chip stack early just to survive. even hellmuth wouldn't lay that down.
Um, don't be so sure about that.
We'll have some pros weighing in on his play in an article on Monday.
Yeah, I hope Bill will come to learn K10 is an preflop underdog to AK for a reason...because the percentages account for ALL 5 cards out on the table.I'm very suprised that Bill never mentioned that he didn't try to seek some training. I'm sure he could have asked Bernard Lee or Gordon (although if you read his WSOP ME article, I thought he played the A10 hand TERRIBLY), both very affliated with ESPN, for at least SOME pointers before just jumpng in and thinking he knows how to play.