How the hell can you afford to have Niedermayer and Pronger on the same team? That's just amazing cap management...I'm stunned. Anaheim vs Buffalo - Stanley Cup Final 2007
1. They have a few players who are still playing on their rookie contracts.2. They have a classy guy like Teemu Selanne who chooses to take less pay to play somewhere he likes.
Smid went to Edmonton for Pronger.
Well then fuck!Edmonton got very excellent value for Pronger.

And in addition to Smid and Lupul, Edmonton gets Anaheim's first-round choice in 2007, a conditional first-round pick and Anaheim's second-round pick in 2008. :club: Wow, I think Anaheim got smoked. They gave up a lot of future for some now.

And in addition to Smid and Lupul, Edmonton gets Anaheim's first-round choice in 2007, a conditional first-round pick and Anaheim's second-round pick in 2008. :club: Wow, I think Anaheim got smoked. They gave up a lot of future for some now.
Yeah, but they came REAL close with the "future", why wouldn't they think a lil "now" won't bring home a trophy or two next season?
Yeah, but they came REAL close with the "future", why wouldn't they think a lil "now" won't bring home a trophy or two next season?
Go through Anaheim's top 6 forwards and see how they stack up against other teams. They need guys like Perry, Getzlaf and Penner to continue to develop while guys like Selanne and McDonald continue to produce. Anaheim will definitely ice a better team next season than they did this season, but the team they ice in 4-5 years just got a little worse. I like this trade from an Oiler's perspective. It's not like they just decided to trade Pronger; they had it forced upon them and they got maximum value.
Go through Anaheim's top 6 forwards and see how they stack up against other teams. They need guys like Perry, Getzlaf and Penner to continue to develop while guys like Selanne and McDonald continue to produce. Anaheim will definitely ice a better team next season than they did this season, but the team they ice in 4-5 years just got a little worse. I like this trade from an Oiler's perspective. It's not like they just decided to trade Pronger; they had it forced upon them and they got maximum value.
Lupul, Smid( from what y'all say about him), 1st ,2nd and a conditional pick? Hell yeah they got max value, but, unlike Anaheim, I don't think they ice a playoff bound team next year. Before you lose all patience with me, I do understand the importance of building for the future but I think Anaheim is ready to make a run at the cup in the next year or two. And I believe that is worth losing some future now.

I don't know all their contract situations, but is it safe to say that Edmonton now challenges Buffalo for the deepest, core of young talent at forward? It's unbelievable.Smyth (not young, but talented)Samsonov (unrestricted?)HorcoffHemskyStollLupulPisaniTorresSchremp

I don't know all their contract situations, but is it safe to say that Edmonton now challenges Buffalo for the deepest, core of young talent at forward? It's unbelievable.Smyth (not young, but talented)Samsonov (unrestricted?)HorcoffHemskyStollLupulPisaniTorresSchremp
I'd add Pouliot and Cogliano to that list. Edmonton is very deep at centre and it wouldn't surprise me if they try to move one of their centremen for a guy like Sheldon Souray to make up some of the loss of Pronger on the PP.A Pouliot for Souray based trade wouldn't surprise me at all.