I posted a couple days ago in the general forum about qutting online poker for a while and how I deleted all poker sites off my computer. Anyway when the time is right my next deposit on stars will be strictly for limit. Iam posting about this because basically I have been playing NL when Iam playing cash games. Basically I am looking for some advice from you guys about plaiying limit holdem. I have been reading your hand posts in this forum and I have the copy of SSHE and been reading J. Harman's Limit section in SS2. So Iam doing my homework but looking for new advice, comments, concerns, etc. The reason I am choosing limit is because I can't handle downswings. Obviously there will be downswings in limit but hopefully not as severe(let me know about that last comment about downswings in limit).

1. Ignore every thing you read in SS2 for Limit.2. Read SSHE several times.3. Try Theory of Poker, and Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players as well.4. Read the hands posted here, post your thoughts. Read the replies to your thoughts and learn.5. Play a million or so hands. Use pokertracker to track stats and results.6. Post your own hands, using the converter, in the appropriate forms. Read the replies from the amazing posters here.Do be aware however that the swings in limit can be just as severe a the NL swings, if not worse. I don't play NL, so I don't know. But expect to get outdrawn a million times in LHE. Try to keep a level head about it. Don't tilt. LHE is about maximizing your small edges.It's not an easy game to learn, so don't expect to learn it all overnight. NL experience will help, but keep in mind they are incredibly different games.Good luck.- Zach

1. Ignore every thing you read in SS2 for Limit.2. Read SSHE several times.3. Try Theory of Poker, and Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players as well.4. Read the hands posted here, post your thoughts. Read the replies to your thoughts and learn.5. Play a million or so hands. Use pokertracker to track stats and results.6. Post your own hands, using the converter, in the appropriate forms. Read the replies from the amazing posters here.Do be aware however that the swings in limit can be just as severe a the NL swings, if not worse. I don't play NL, so I don't know. But expect to get outdrawn a million times in LHE. Try to keep a level head about it. Don't tilt. LHE is about maximizing your small edges.It's not an easy game to learn, so don't expect to learn it all overnight. NL experience will help, but keep in mind they are incredibly different games.Good luck.- Zach
Thanks Zach about replying back I was hoping you would when I saw you reading this because you are very active in limit. Two questions first one is why should I ignore Harmans intake and what do you mean about maximizing your small edges.
Thanks Zach about replying back I was hoping you would when I saw you reading this because you are very active in limit. Two questions first one is why should I ignore Harmans intake and what do you mean about maximizing your small edges.
Harman's SS2 LHE section really should be applied to higher limits, against good players. You won't find players that you need to play like that against for a while. Unless you are starting up at like 50/100. :PBasically, for maximizing small edges, I just mean that missing a bet here and there may seem small, but over the long run, they really do add up. So it's small leaks that really add up and affect your winrate.
what do you mean about maximizing your small edges.
I think Zach handled this, but I'm just going to stress it. In NL, you can stack people. In FL, you can't just stack the donkey, you have to exploit little things in terms of bets. It's still poker, meaning you are still profiting off of other's mistakes, but in limit it's done one bet at a time, rather than a huge bet or stack at a time like in NL.

Limit can be more painful for downswings then NL. You're winrate will never be near as high in limit than NL, but if you play well enough, and dont tilt, or lose unneccessary bets along the way, you will an unstoppable force.

If you can't handle downswings, don't ever play LHE shorthanded. You'll end up slitting your wrists.