So I know everyone hated the old Celebrity Poker, as did I. But I always at least enjoyed listening to Phil Gordon. So I caught the new season last night with Hellmuth, and he was SO BAD I couldn't stand to watch it. I assume everyone feels this way right?Bravo screwed the pooch bigtime.Mark

Yeah, Phil H. was really bad. He doesn't seem to have personality. He was really akward and that stupid grin he kept plastered on his face made him look like a psychopath.I remember when Phil Gordon first started, he was alittle akward, but nothing like this. I think they made a mistake hiring Hellmuth.On the other hand - now I know what he looks like without the glasses and hat. Yeah, he should definitely keep them on at all times. :club:

Hellmuth was recommended by Gordon, so I think that is how he got the gig.

Yeah, Phil H. was really bad. He doesn't seem to have personality. He was really akward and that stupid grin he kept plastered on his face made him look like a psychopath.
Yeah, awkward wouldn't be the word to describe it.Actually when it comes to poker play and odds, Phil isn't bad. But this show is about fun, not correct strategy.
  • 3 weeks later...

are you sure about gordon reffering hellmuth? i remember before gordon got done w/ celeb poker that he bashed hellmuth and cardplayer came to hellmuth's defense since gordon was callin hellmuth a donk, and stated that gordon only has one wpt title compared to hellmuth's 9 bracelets

Some of the celebs aren't nearly as bad of players as they used to be. Yeah, you've still got a bunch of loose-passives in there, but there are least a couple that seem to know what they're doing every episode.

I like Gordon and I felt he was good in the role. He had chemistry with Dave Foley and he was able to descibe everything in very simple terms to the viewing audience. He was very comfortable in front of the camera. I am disapointed in Phil Hellmuth. So far, I saw 5 minutes of one episode and less than 3 minutes of another. Phil looks completely out of place. I thought that this could have been a good fit since Phil loves attention and the camera but instead he looks like he has stage fright. It's like watching a train wreck. I can't see this show going on past this season unless if they change Pros or Phil H. loosens up and becomes less creepy..

Phil H. loosens up and becomes less creepy..
GL on that one.I liked Gordon, it was a good fit.

Hellmuth is actually less awkward in this than I expected and had seen from him before. If he learned to drop the whole limp-wristed hand motions, he'd be more presentable.

Yeah, Phil H. was really bad. He doesn't seem to have personality. He was really akward and that stupid grin he kept plastered on his face made him look like a psychopath.
He is a psychopath. I think that there are many players that would have been much better choices.
are you sure about gordon reffering hellmuth? i remember before gordon got done w/ celeb poker that he bashed hellmuth and cardplayer came to hellmuth's defense since gordon was callin hellmuth a donk, and stated that gordon only has one wpt title compared to hellmuth's 9 bracelets
Bravo had auditions to replace Gordon. Hellmuth and Annie Duke were among the poker pros that auditioned. I know Gordon likes to make fun of Hellmuth, but I doubt there's any animus behind it. Hellmuth was on Gordon's ESPN radio show after the tapings of this season of Celeb poker and they seemed pretty friendly.

They should have went with a different Phil.....Phil Laak. He would have been there anyway to watch Jennifer Tilley play and he was entertaining on the short lived Hollywood Home Game they had on E! a while back.