Smash's Strategy In Action

I was playing on Full Tilt tonight, and there was a guy named Golgo13 sitting at both my tables. I noticed he was playing almost no hands whatsoever, and then he went all in preflop for a full buy in twice, and the second time he busted a guy when he had KK.I remembered reading on here about Smash's strategy, and it looked like what he was doing, so I asked him on one table if he was using it. He got up and left immediately, so I said something to him about it on the other table, and he left just as quick.Since I knew what he was doing, i guess I shouldn't have told him, but I don't really want to play against that anyway, because it's almost impossible to get money out of him. I just thought some people on here would find this funny.

how this type of play is grouped in as Smash's strat is beyond meIts a simple basic way to play NL cash games, and its been around for a long long time, infact, a better version has been around, smashes version is garbage since you're throwing away good hands like Aces and Kings with pre flop pushes,which are not likely getting called on any tables higher than .05/.10OP: do realise that lots of people play thise way, 30 million gamblers online everyday, 17 000 FCP members, uhh, i'm gonna say that he's probably not familiar with smash strat and was probably scared off because you're aware he is playing very simple smash and grab, hit them hard and fast, or not at all type of pokerEDIT: i'd also like to add that Smash's point of the strat was that he thought and still does think that NL players, especially the ones on FCP, (or 99% of them) suck, and a monkey hurling feces could play his strat and make more BB/100 than them

I doubt it. Smash Strat relies on low limit NLHE player not being able to fold. Because of this, he limps w/ all PP and suited aces and I think connectors. He sees 40%+ of flops.
no, he actually sees hardly any flops, since he plays no position, and wil only play AA,KK limp with all pp and suited aces,thats all
i'd also like to add that Smash's point of the strat was that he thought and still does think that NL players, especially the ones on FCP, (or 99% of them) suck, and a monkey hurling feces could play his strat and make more BB/100 than them
Smash has been around a lot and helpful in strat and I'd have to say he has decreased that number to around 96% and he is playing some NL
no, he actually sees hardly any flops, since he plays no position, and wil only play AA,KK limp with all pp and suited aces,thats all
He went on record last week saying he sees about 40% of flops. Which to me makes sense because he really feels that implied odds will justify a call with most reasonable hands because all he has to do is hit the flop hard and people can't fold.
He went on record last week saying he sees about 40% of flops. Which to me makes sense because he really feels that implied odds will justify a call with most reasonable hands because all he has to do is hit the flop hard and people can't fold.
where is he playing that he see's PP and suited Aces 40% of the time??honestly where?Z? Cuz Phuck i'm playing at the wrong site
where is he playing that he see's PP and suited Aces 40% of the time??honestly where?Z? Cuz Phuck i'm playing at the wrong site
Hes playing more than PPs and sooted Aces
Hes playing more than PPs and sooted Aces
so he's learned that NL is profitable and that you dont have to be forced to play it like a chimp.so, The idea of smash strat sustaining a profitable 40% flop rate is false.
Can you explain this? If I "hit the flop hard" as you say, then how is it possible that "people can't fold"?I flopped a nut straight last night in a tourney, bet the minimum on the flop, and no one called. Are you confused?
I flopped a nut straight last night in a tourney, bet the minimum on the flop, and no one called.
Maybe a check woulda been better
Can you explain this? If I "hit the flop hard" as you say, then how is it possible that "people can't fold"?I flopped a nut straight last night in a tourney, bet the minimum on the flop, and no one called. Are you confused?
No I'm not confused. I am saying that the "Smash strategy" is based on this presumption. I, unlike Smash, give people credit for being able to fold. (Well, sometimes). however, Smash would say to you that a NL player could not get away from top pair or an overpair here let a lone two pair. so while this one time that you bet and got no action, he would contend that you will get tons of action in the long run. to be clear I'm not an advocate. also...bet the minimum on the flop :club:
No I'm not confused. I am saying that the "Smash strategy" is based on this presumption. I, unlike Smash, give people credit for being able to fold. (Well, sometimes). however, Smash would say to you that a NL player could not get away from top pair or an overpair here let a lone two pair. so while this one time that you bet and got no action, he would contend that you will get tons of action in the long run. to be clear I'm not an advocate. also...bet the minimum on the flop :club:
See, here is where the problems lie,1 - you rely on luck to hit a good hand, 2 - You rely on luck for your opponent to also hit a good hand, but slightly worse than yours3 - If only you hit a good hand, and push hard, you are eliminating the essence of playing NL, You have taken away the ability for your opponent to bluff, You've also eliminated the opponents will to gamble in an affordible manner,You see, By betting our entire stack with the flopped nuts vs someone holding TP, we're likely, more so than not, to scare them out thinking no way they can call off their chips with TP, we have to assume that at least 60% of players at the table are not loose aggressive.So like Jeepster said, He bet the min with the nut straight, break it down and we notice a few things1 - small bet, or large bet vs tight people holding nothing = no calls2 - small bet vs tight people holding something = calls, or raises3 - large bet vs tight people holding something = folds
See, here is where the problems lie,1 - you rely on luck to hit a good hand, 2 - You rely on luck for your opponent to also hit a good hand, but slightly worse than yours3 - If only you hit a good hand, and push hard, you are eliminating the essence of playing NL, You have taken away the ability for your opponent to bluff, You've also eliminated the opponents will to gamble in an affordible manner,You see, By betting our entire stack with the flopped nuts vs someone holding TP, we're likely, more so than not, to scare them out thinking no way they can call off their chips with TP, we have to assume that at least 60% of players at the table are not loose aggressive.So like Jeepster said, He bet the min with the nut straight, break it down and we notice a few things1 - small bet, or large bet vs tight people holding nothing = no calls2 - small bet vs tight people holding something = calls, or raises3 - large bet vs tight people holding something = folds
I agree. I went back and forth w/ Smash in Strat about this very idea about a month ago. He never convinced me. It seems like he needs to find monster vs. monster often to make this work. (He says it does and not seeing him play or having any data on him, I can't call him a liar).the min bet is still bad on the flop.

The big overbet works if your opponents are poor players and they assume that you would bluff with air. There are plenty of Donkey's out there who assume that a ridculous overbet must mean a bluff, but personally I think you do better most of the time betting a resonable amount.

I agree. I went back and forth w/ Smash in Strat about this very idea about a month ago. He never convinced me. It seems like he needs to find monster vs. monster often to make this work. (He says it does and not seeing him play or having any data on him, I can't call him a liar).the min bet is still bad on the flop.
When i started Multi tabling NL i used a similar strat, only difference is, I didnt push, I raised big with AA KK, and bet big with flopped sets and such, but never did i push,It worked out better this wayI also played AK, because in NL cash games, people over value AJ and AQ waay to much,and waiting for AA KK or sets is rare enough, let alone waiting for them at the same time someone else has a decent hand
So like Jeepster said, He bet the min with the nut straight, break it down and we notice a few things1 - small bet, or large bet vs tight people holding nothing = no calls2 - small bet vs tight people holding something = calls, or raises3 - large bet vs tight people holding something = folds
4 - check
The big overbet works if your opponents are poor players and they assume that you would bluff with air. There are plenty of Donkey's out there who assume that a ridculous overbet must mean a bluff, but personally I think you do better most of the time betting a resonable amount.
What I have taken from the strategy is that, if I turn a big hand or a big draw against a strong hand. say a perceived TPDK hand. I like putting the overbet in on the flop. It keeps my equity high, and I get em all in as a slight dog or a huge favorite. I also gets folds some times too.

i'd love to watch someone play with this strat at or above $400nli imagine it would be profitable at the $10 $25 $50 limits, somewhat...maybe $100nl in good games..but after nothing.have fun nut peddling!- Jordan