All In On A Suited Board

6 man live home SnG - top 2 paid.4k to start with, blinds 200/400, 4 handed.SB: 8000BB: 8000CO: 4000 (me)B: 4000 (rock)I limp with Q :) 2 :club:, B also limps, SB calls, BB checks.Flop: (pot=1600)Q :D 9 :D 4 :D SB: checksBB: checksCO: ?What do you do here?Some read-type info: SB and BB are quite trappy.I'm quite well-known for making semi-bluffs and betting my draws.

PUSHno question.You have 3600..pot is 1600... that is huge gain for you.At 3600 and 400/200 blinds, you can't get away from TOp Pair 4 handed, so maximize your chances of winning the money in the pot.Don't get sneaky.Also: Why the heck are you even in this hand ? Fold that preflop. You are way to low stacked to be exploring with Q2 off suit. Steal with a raise (if the blinds will give it up) or better yet..fold.and thanks for not giving results..makes it so much more interestnig to give advice

Don't play that garbage in the first place - and if you do decide to play it, raise coming in as opposed to limping.
The reason I played the Q2o was because I viewed it as a stealing hand, but that game I'd been trying out limping rather than raising with position, looking to steal on the flop. (Harrington recommends this)I'd been able to get away with it in the CO because the B was being so rock-like and folding most of the time. Definately a +EV play at that point in time.Thanks for the advice re. pushing. Sorry I gave away what I did in the title - I couldn't edit it after I realised.Any dissent?
PUSHno question.
This
Don't play that garbage in the first place - and if you do decide to play it, raise coming in as opposed to limping.
And this. No way you limp with this.
The reason I played the Q2o was because I viewed it as a stealing hand, but that game I'd been trying out limping rather than raising with position, looking to steal on the flop. (Harrington recommends this)
with your M?really?

The reason I played the Q2o was because I viewed it as a stealing hand, but that game I'd been trying out limping rather than raising with position, looking to steal on the flop. (Harrington recommends this)4 handed short stacked?I haven't read it, but if he does, he's wrong.good luck.

What?! Are you guys nuts? Are you saying you fold Qx here? Your insane, Qx is a monster where I come from! :club: Lets just fold pf from now on, good luck

Wait a sec...I'm not saying I'm playing Q2 every time I get it or that it's a stealing hand particularly - any 2 could be a stealing hand, especially if they have some potential with a high card, or suited/connected. You don't want to be stealing with Ax all the time, it gets tedious. But yes, 4 handed with my stack this is probably a bit dodgy, but this was experimental - I was trying out the flat call with rubbish option rather than risk a significant amount of my stack PF. I'll try and find what Harrington says later, but I'm sure he wouldn't recommend this particular play.But he'd like the all in on the flop?

Wait a sec...I'm not saying I'm playing Q2 every time I get it or that it's a stealing hand particularly - any 2 could be a stealing hand, especially if they have some potential with a high card, or suited/connected. You don't want to be stealing with Ax all the time, it gets tedious. But yes, 4 handed with my stack this is probably a bit dodgy, but this was experimental - I was trying out the flat call with rubbish option rather than risk a significant amount of my stack PF. I'll try and find what Harrington says later, but I'm sure he wouldn't recommend this particular play.But he'd like the all in on the flop?
To steal, you need to raise preflop. The problem is that you limped with a garbage hand and now you have a tough decision. That being said, yeah, I'd push here, if I got here somehow. But if i was beat I would not be surprised.You say that 2 of the villians are trappy and that you have a tricky image as well. It seems to me that playing straightforward ABC poker would be a winning strategy in that game. Hence, fold preflop. If everyone is trying to make fancy plays, straightforward ones work best.
To steal, you need to raise preflop.
I might agree with you, but as I say this is more of a mix-up play against two bigger stacks.
You say that 2 of the villians are trappy and that you have a tricky image as well. It seems to me that playing straightforward ABC poker would be a winning strategy in that game. Hence, fold preflop. If everyone is trying to make fancy plays, straightforward ones work best.
=rock, who actually won that game, although he doesn't often. This is one of those home games where you play against the same players every other day, so it gets its own culture..I pushed the Q2 on the flop btw, and ran into the rock's made flush. Got a bit of stick for playing too 'agressively'. Any stats on roughly how often that happens when there is a suited board? (if you hold a suited hand you have 1% chance of flopping a flush, but that's not the same)

it would be too aggressive if we/them were deep stacked.roughly, odds of two of being dealt two of the same suit = 1/4odds of being dealt two of a specific suit = 1/16odds of a spcific person having two of the same suit the flops = 1/16... so if 4 handed:3 opponents: odds of at least one opponent having the flush:1 - (15/16) ^ 3 = 17.6%But actually it's less, because since there are 3 of a suit out there, then that lowers the number of that suit out in the other 47 unknown cards...same with the 1/4 and 1/16 stuff above.So, this is a upper bound answer.

=rock, who actually won that game, although he doesn't often. This is one of those home games where you play against the same players every other day, so it gets its own culture..I pushed the Q2 on the flop btw, and ran into the rock's made flush. Got a bit of stick for playing too 'agressively'. Any stats on roughly how often that happens when there is a suited board? (if you hold a suited hand you have 1% chance of flopping a flush, but that's not the same)
I dislike questions of this form bc it doesnt matter. Many people will hear the odds of a certain situation and say, "It only happens 1% of the time, and it happened to me, I'm so unlucky".Odds about a certain situation occurring don't really add anything to your game. Maybe learning probability on your own would be a good way to spend your time if you're interested.I'm not trying to be mean, and, even though Actuary likes the attention, the question doesnt matter in any real poker game.Just sayin'
I dislike questions of this form bc it doesnt matter. Many people will hear the odds of a certain situation and say, "It only happens 1% of the time, and it happened to me, I'm so unlucky".Odds about a certain situation occurring don't really add anything to your game. Maybe learning probability on your own would be a good way to spend your time if you're interested.I'm not trying to be mean, and, even though Actuary likes the attention, the question doesnt matter in any real poker game.Just sayin'
It depends if the point of the question is learning what your odds are of facing a certain holding when that situation comes up again or whether it's trying to determine how unlucky you were. The former can matter in real poker.OP - I think the push is fine. I think the pf limp is not a bid dodgy; it's downright terrible. I've played with the same group every week for years, so I take your points about that and mixing it up. However, limping with crud for 10% of your stack when you're not guaranteed position and both blinds are reasonably trappy seems to me to be an experiment that's destined to go wrong.