Who's A Hall Of Famer?

What active players do you think should make the Hall? Only consider players who have been playing a long time. Guys like Pujols are too young to consider. Here's my list:Pitchers:Tom GlavinePedro MartinezRoger Clemens (probably still active)Greg MadduxMariano RiveraRandy JohnsonTrevor HoffmanHittersKen Griffey JrBarry BondsTodd HeltonManny RamirezAlex RodriguezMike PiazzamaybeFrank Thomas

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your list Tim, I personally don't know much about Helton or Hoffman, but my ignorance aside, the list looks good. I just want to be a bit of a homer and add Derek Jeter and maybe, as stretches, Gary Sheffield or Mike Mussina, to the list... As for non-Yankees, maybe Chipper Jones or Jeff Bagwell, though I don't feel terribly strongly about either. Also, let me throw Ichiro out there; though he hasn't been in the majors very long, he is as old as A-Rod and others and did have a pretty darn good career before coming over, and though I assume that doesn't enter into consideration for the hall directly, it does show that he is less likely to be a fluke then some younger players who aren't as established.

Yes, it's a safe list considering we can't speculate on young players. "Hey guys, check out all the players with 500+ homers, and guys under 35 with 400+ homers. I think they'll make the Hall!"Hoffman isn't guarenteed. Lee Smith isn't in yet. Unless Hoffman gets to 500+ saves, then he shouldn't get in before Smith. Rivera is a different story as his post season accolades are legendary. He's the best closer ever.Everyone else on the list should be in, save for Glavine. Yeah, he has very good stats, but it's friggin' TOUGH to make the Hall. Bert Blyleven isn't in and he had 3700+ K's. Don Mattingly, Jim Rice, Andre Dawson, Goose Gossage, Jack Morris, Orel Hershiser are just a few names that aren't in, and possibly won't be.

Tom Glavine has had 5 20 win seasons tho, Bert had one or two.What about Pudge?

I would add Pudge, Chipper, Frank Thomasbut I don't see Ichiro or Helton right now..In the next few years more guys should be considered.

All but Trevor, Helton, Thomas, and Piazza IMO.
No Piazza!??!?!??! The greatest hitting catcher of all time!?!??? Ehhhh..yeah, he's losing it now....but I think he's a lock.
No Piazza!??!?!??! The greatest hitting catcher of all time!?!??? Ehhhh..yeah, he's losing it now....but I think he's a lock.
I think Piazza is an easy hall of famer.I also wish Joe Jackson was in the hall of fame.

Glavine is 275-184, and the way he is pitching this year he will have 290 by October. 300 Wins and you're pretty much a lock.Helton only has 8 full seasons, but he is the active leader in career BA, 2nd in OBP, 3rd in SLG.

Helton only has 8 full seasons, but he is the active leader in career BA, 2nd in OBP, 3rd in SLG.
The voters will take his location into consideration.
Rivera is a different story as his post season accolades are legendary. He's the best closer ever.
Keep in mind tho, that he has blown some very key saves in the post season. I definately think he is a hall of famer, don't get me wrong, but he blew game 7 of the 2001 WS, and he blew two saves in the 2004 ALCS. Those are pretty big Blown Saves.
I think Piazza is an easy hall of famer.I also wish Joe Jackson was in the hall of fame.
I never would have guessed
Glavine is 275-184, and the way he is pitching this year he will have 290 by October. 300 Wins and you're pretty much a lock.Helton only has 8 full seasons, but he is the active leader in career BA, 2nd in OBP, 3rd in SLG.
Coor's Field is rigged.

"At this moment" the only players on that list that aren't locks are Hoffman, Helton, A-Rod, and Man-Ram

What is the fascination with 300 anyway? Glavine will probably be the last pitcher to do it and he is an automatic lock without the 300. The baseball writers are idiots for allowing 300 to be a benchmark considering a 300 win pitcher will probably never happen again. Tommy John has 288 career wins so one more season with a record in the neighborhood of 12-18 gets him into the HOF...now that's an absolute joke. Players like John and Bert Blyleven deserve to be in the Hall of Fame but because they don't have the magical 300 they are left out.

Helton may get in, but he's not a lock. Especially since if he's only got 8 years in he's not even eligible yet. I agree about Hoffman. Time will tell how the voters view relievers, it may take him some time. Interesting question, is Schilling a HoFer? Guy's got 3 WS appearances, 2 rings, and some great postseason performances. He played on some bad Phillies teams. I'm not sure about him. Wondering what the board thinks.oh, and I know we can't speculate, but Pujols will be a HoFer unless something seriously bad happens! :club:

Helton may get in, but he's not a lock. Especially since if he's only got 8 years in he's not even eligible yet. I agree about Hoffman. Time will tell how the voters view relievers, it may take him some time. Interesting question, is Schilling a HoFer? Guy's got 3 WS appearances, 2 rings, and some great postseason performances. He played on some bad Phillies teams. I'm not sure about him. Wondering what the board thinks.oh, and I know we can't speculate, but Pujols will be a HoFer unless something seriously bad happens! :club:
Schilling's clozse, but not there yet. And yeah, playing on those bad Phillies teams definitely screwed him.

Bolded the guys who I think will make it.

Pitchers:Tom GlavinePedro MartinezRoger ClemensGreg MadduxMariano RiveraRandy JohnsonTrevor HoffmanHittersKen Griffey JrBarry BondsTodd HeltonManny RamirezAlex RodriguezMike Piazza
You don't think Manny or Mariano get voted in? How do you not vote Manny in? How do you not recognize the media's gigantic hard-on for Mariano Rivera? Both get in on the first ballot with ease.
You don't think Manny or Mariano get voted in? How do you not vote Manny in? How do you not recognize the media's gigantic hard-on for Mariano Rivera? Both get in on the first ballot with ease.
If Ramirez can produce at this level for at least the next few year, then he's in.Note that most of the guys I've bolded already have pretty accomplished careers as of now and are nearing retirement age (aside from A-Rod and Pedro) so there's a lot to justify their entrance in.Rivera...eh. I've always been iffy about putting closers in the hall over offensive players and starting pitchers. He may make it in, but not as a first ballot.
No love for Griffey? I mean sure his career wasn't ever as good as it could be, but I mean come on: 500 + home runs right there is pretty impressive, not to mention his glove. The problem is judging him based on what he would have been without the injuries, but if you judge him relative to other players, he certainly has had a career good enough to make it.
No love for Griffey? I mean sure his career wasn't ever as good as it could be, but I mean come on: 500 + home runs right there is pretty impressive, not to mention his glove. The problem is judging him based on what he would have been without the injuries, but if you judge him relative to other players, he certainly has had a career good enough to make it.
Don't worry about that guy. Griffey Jr. is a 100% automatic first ballot lock.
Don't worry about that guy. Griffey Jr. is a 100% automatic first ballot lock.
I agree, but I'd also like to add that he'll probably get injured on the way to the ceremony.
If Ramirez can produce at this level for at least the next few year, then he's in.Note that most of the guys I've bolded already have pretty accomplished careers as of now and are nearing retirement age (aside from A-Rod and Pedro) so there's a lot to justify their entrance in.Rivera...eh. I've always been iffy about putting closers in the hall over offensive players and starting pitchers. He may make it in, but not as a first ballot.
There's plenty to justify Ramirez getting in right now. Coming into this year, he's hit .314/.409/.599 with 435 home runs and 1414 RBI. Over 13 seasons. 1414 RBI over 13 seasons. That passes the dominance test. Here's how he ranks for his career all-time.OBP - 40thSLG - 9thOPS - 10thHR - 33rdRBI - 59thOPS+ - 20thAB/HR - 5thPretty good. I think he's a lock no matter how he produces the rest of his career. The fact that he's shown little signs of decline and is only 33(!) just about guarantees him a spot unless he starts gambling on the game.I share your reservations about including relief pitchers, but if any relief pitcher deserves to be in, it's probably Mariano, right? Since you said these were the players you think would get in, and not who you personally would vote for, you've got to look from the perspective of those doing the voting. They're going to see a postseason ERA of 0.81 in 111.7 innings and they won't be able to envision a Hall of Fame without him.
If he wasn't so often injured, he's a first ballot.Maybe he'll get in, but there are others who will get in before he does.