Daniel, High Stakes With Gus And Your Roll Vs Play

By that point I had about $600,000 in front of me. Gus made it $2100 to go and I decided to put in a VERY tricky re-raise to $5000 with 66- Gus called.The flop came 9-6-5 rainbow and I was hoping to win a big one against Gus. He checked the flop to me and I bet $8000. Gus check-raised me $18,000 more and I hesitated, trying to represent an over pair and finally called.The turn card came a 5 which gave me a full house. This time Gus bet $24,000 and it was time to do a little Hollywood. I wanted to convince Gus that I had a hand like QQ and I think it worked. I just called.The river came an 8 putting a four card straight on the board. Now Gus checked so it was time for me to figure out how much he was willing to call. I bet $65,000.Gus said... all in! He raised me another $167,000. Are you serious? If he had 99 or 55, would he REALLY check the river after putting me on an over pair? I called, and Gus turned over 55.
Daniel, I'm wondering if your current success and profit allows you to make questionable calls more often or if you play the same whether it's all riding on the table or not.Thanks,Joe
Daniel, I'm wondering if your current success and profit allows you to make questionable calls more often or if you play the same whether it's all riding on the table or not.Thanks,Joe
Exactly.... And I don't mean this as a criticism, I am sincere: Daniel, did you get to where you are now playing the way we see you on High Stakes Poker or do you play that way NOW because of all the money you have won?I know there are a lot of folks who think you are a loose, overly aggressive (some might say maniacal at times) player, but I have studied tape of the entire first season of HSP: I am convinced there is an extremely deep understanding of both the mathematics of the situation AND opponent psychology going on in many of the decisions you make. I think a lot of people just don't realize you are willing to engage in coinflips or 60/40, 40/60 situations IF you feel your bet provides sufficient fold equity and there is something worth winning (either in the pot then or in the opponent's stack)... If you get called---and that could be a big if---you are still only a 3:2 dog, let's say. You are okay with that.However, I can't help but wonder if you'd play that way---and win---at a 6, 8, or 10 handed table of, say $2/4 NL, right here on FCP if people didn't know who you were. :club:

Do you guys ask Gus why he called an all in bet against Shieky in the NBC HU tournament when Shieky had the quads?If you play with the assumption the other guy has quads, you might fold more than you should. It's not being loose to trap with a full house, it's just unlucky to trap when you are the one trapped.The ONLY player in the world that could get away from that is Phil Helmuth, but he can dodge bullets.

• 2 weeks later...