razz... anyone play it? any strategy tips?

I just started playing at Full Tilt. (Don't tell Daniel, but I am not good enough for Poker Mountain yet. I keep getting creamed over there and I feel beat up and then I start to play stupid.) Anyway, they have Razz. I am playing it now. Its fun. But I was wondering if anyone had any good advice, such as starting hands etc. I am seeing people call the bet with a card over 8? That doesn't seem right.Should I just follow the lo strategy as I would on Stud hi/lo?

I just started playing at Full Tilt. (Don't tell Daniel, but I am not good enough for Poker Mountain yet. I keep getting creamed over there and I feel beat up and then I start to play stupid.)  Anyway, they have Razz. I am playing it now. Its fun. But I was wondering if anyone had any good advice, such as starting hands etc. I am seeing people call the bet with a card over 8? That doesn't seem right.Should I just follow the lo strategy as I would on Stud hi/lo?
to an extent. You can call with a ten if you have two wheel cards. Like in stud high use their upcards to your advantage
Guest XXEddie

The main thing with Razz is patience(sp) Do feel like starting with 3-4 to a wheel is great cause a few bad cards are you have a 10 low or three pair, juts my advice, but I havent played it much

I'm gonna go a bit more in depth now. Generally you want to start with at least an eight low. You can go for a nine or ten if face cards are up, except for the A(*obviously). Only go for a nine if you can make a smooth nine or ten, but generally in A-5 low the highest low you should play for is a semi smooth eight. I'm assuming your playing eight or seven handed. If you have a jack, queen, king, dump it even if you have two wheel cards to start. If you see someone pairing up then start to really attack. if you have a 76432, be careful. This is a great hand in 2-7, but remember in A-5 straights don't count against you. That seven I showed will win enough, but you really need to worry about a a lower 7. My advice is avoid your son after a long session of this game, you probably won't be a fun person to be around, especially after your smooth six draw turns into two pair

I was playing very conservative last night and ended up ahead. I was discarding anything above an 8. The only problem I was having last night was my connection to the internet (and I work for th4e company that provides it!) Good advice. I had thrown out cards with a 9 in the beginning, only to find out later I would have won. I am liking this game.I just wish people played .50/1.00. The only action was at .25/.50 and 5.00/10.00.Thanks for all of your replies and keep them coming! :D

I just wish people played .50/1.00. The only action was at .25/.50 and 5.00/10.00.
If you're not afraid to play short-handed, you can usually get people to join you at higher. Just sit in and drop a note at the lower table saying that there is action one step up.

I play it similar to stud8 also, I want to be drawing into an 8 at worst. But really I pay more attention to my opponents cards than mine. Most of the players on FT will chase with bad cards and try to draw out on you, so just wait for good cards. Too many on that site will call down with any 10 low or better especially at .25/.50 . Also in late position I will sometimes see another card if I have A2x or A3x, if there hasn't been a raise.

• 1 month later...

Some questions...Sometimes when i have the best hand on 3rd (based on upcards) I get into raisng wars then brick on 4th and 5th. Since the winning hand changes so rapidly in razz is it worth jamming on early streets. I find this happens alot and then I have a lot invested and feel I have to continue if I catch bad. Basically is it worth jamming on early streets as a small favourite if by the next card I can be way behind.Also heads up whats worth playing? On third is a T enough?And for stealing on 3rd, what do I do if i get called by say a J and I have 7 and then I get a bad one and they catch good should I just give up?Also if i have a nice starting hand like a 6 on third should I just call if the cards I need are dead?I love Razz :?

• 2 weeks later...

To answer some of your questions, depending on the board to see how many of your cards will help you are out, and the style of your opponents determines whether or not to call a raise. If a guy is continuously bluffing playing (KQ) 2 for example and you have picked up on that, you can jam the pot. If for example you hold (64) A and you see a board with some 6's and A's you can go ahead and raise because odds are pretty good only one or two have a legit hand. Odds are also good you won't pair up those cards immediatly and have a good chance at making a hand. If the board shows a lot of 3's 5's and 2's for example, just call. Some of the cards to make a killer hand are dead and are not worth the higher price. Betting is more critical on later streets especially if you have already made a hand and you see your oppenents still have to draw. In a heads up situation, everything depends on the board. If you have a (3 5) J against someone with (xx) T you might try a raise. He may hold a marginal hand, and if you get called you still have a shot to have him brick or get a strong hand. If you brick and he gets something, you can easily get away from it. For the last one, if you brick out, but you still have 3 good cards I would check-call to get one more card. If it helps your situation, do the same on the next street. If not, just give it up on 5th. Odds are he's not to thrilled about his Jack. Just basic strategy, Razz is most dependent on the board. Best of luck to you on this crazy crazy game. 8) 2 Time Razz Champion on Full Tilt Poker

• 1 month later...

Sklansky On Poker has a great section on razz. You should really picky that up.