I don't think he is a monster now..but I think he will be. These are pretty solid numbers for a kid getting his first ever playing time off the bench...and he wasn't a top-draft pick for nothing..I mean....the kid has a ton of talent. Just wait until next year...he's gonna have a breakout year next year and people will be sorry they ever called him a "bust."
I would agree with this statement

being a solid backup player your third year in the league is hardly exciting when you were the 2 pick in the draft and picked ahead of Dwayne Wade He might develop but really the odds of him ever being better than carmello or dwayne are basically 0

being a solid backup player your third year in the league is hardly exciting when you were the 2 pick in the draft and picked ahead of Dwayne Wade He might develop but really the odds of him ever being better than carmello or dwayne are basically 0
It is his third year in the league...but the past twenty games are the ONLY chance he has EVER had to play. Big difference. I am not saying he's gonna be better than Wade or 'Melo....I'm just saying he is gonna be a pretty good player, and thus not a bust. Kwame Brown..that is a bust. He has had plenty of chances to play....and he just sucks. Milicic is playing well in his first ever opportunity and he keeps getting better. It isn't his fault Larry Brown REFUSED to let him play.

he did get screwed by larry brownalthough i did hear that he had other problems in detroiti've probably just read too much bill simmons who has kicked him unmercifully - which was funny but not really deserved

i think 18 or 19Kobe was a stick when he entered the league which just makes you marvel even more about le bron's bodyi still can never get over the fact that he played football as a junior in high school despite the fact that he would have been the no 1 pick in the nba that yearalan iverson was also both the best football and basketball player in his state his senior year

How old was Darko when he entered the league? Kobe only averaged 7 ppg his rookie year...
Darko has just turned 18 when the NBA season started. He's only 20 right now...people who rag on him are just ignorant...I mean, what is he supposed to do when he NEVER gets a chance to play in a game other than a garbage minute here and there. From everything I've ever heard, he worked hard in Piston's practice against Rasheed and Ben Wallace and all of them and did his best..but there is zero chance he is taking time from those two.....he is getting his first ever chance to show what he can do, and he is doing just fine and clearly getting much better. Don't know what else he can possibly do until he gets to start (hopefully next year).

The LeBron thread has been derailed into the Darko thread, but oh well, this is a much more interesting topic, and if Darko ends up being any good (which I think he will be), his early career with Detriot will perplex basketball people for a long time.I completely agree that Brown flat out refused to play Darko, but the argument that the Pistons were so deep that he couldnt play isnt completely accurate (I'm not saying Koop said this, but it is an argument often used). First, Rasheed Wallace wasnt even with the Pistons a full season during Darko's rookie year (the Pistons championship year). They traded for Wallace because they needed to get stronger up front. Even before Wallace got there Darko still couldnt get minutes. I had first attributed that to Darko's age, but facts after that have lead me to believe otherwise.Two, after that championship season they still felt they needed help up front. Did they turn to their young number 2 pick from last year? Nope. They went out and got McDyess. I mean come on! They drafted the guy number 2! Give him a chance! I have felling Dumars knew that Brown wasnt going to play Darko no matter what, and decided not to rock the boat and try to win a second championship.By the time Flip became head coach, the damage had been already been done. By all accounts Darko did work hard during those first 2 years, and IMO now felt that no matter what he did, he wouldnt play. He resented the Pistons (not just Brown) for what happened. They're lucky he didnt postal on that place.I'm also convinced that Brown has completely gone nuts these last few years (at least more so than before that time). In the 2004 Olympics, he refused to play young players for the sole reason that they were young. He also refused to compromise his style considering the team he had. Once it was too late, then he played the young guys. In this CURRENT season with the awful Knicks, his handling of Channing Frye (who Thomas calls untouchable right now) at time has been questionable. Frye has gotten minutes, but his minutes were inexplicably cut in the Month of March (until he got hurt) and other times during the season. The Knicks suck! Give the young guys more minutes and prepare for next season! Frye averaged 24 min/gm. On that Knicks squad he should be over 30 min/gm easy.Exactly whats gotten into Brown regarding young players I have no idea.

The LeBron thread has been derailed into the Darko thread, but oh well, this is a much more interesting topic, and if Darko ends up being any good (which I think he will be), his early career with Detriot will perplex basketball people for a long time.I completely agree that Brown flat out refused to play Darko, but the argument that the Pistons were so deep that he couldnt play isnt completely accurate (I'm not saying Koop said this, but it is an argument often used). First, Rasheed Wallace wasnt even with the Pistons a full season during Darko's rookie year (the Pistons championship year). They traded for Wallace because they needed to get stronger up front. Even before Wallace got there Darko still couldnt get minutes. I had first attributed that to Darko's age, but facts after that have lead me to believe otherwise.Two, after that championship season they still felt they needed help up front. Did they turn to their young number 2 pick from last year? Nope. They went out and got McDyess. I mean come on! They drafted the guy number 2! Give him a chance! I have felling Dumars knew that Brown wasnt going to play Darko no matter what, and decided not to rock the boat and try to win a second championship.By the time Flip became head coach, the damage had been already been done. By all accounts Darko did work hard during those first 2 years, and IMO now felt that no matter what he did, he wouldnt play. He resented the Pistons (not just Brown) for what happened. They're lucky he didnt postal on that place.I'm also convinced that Brown has completely gone nuts these last few years (at least more so than before that time). In the 2004 Olympics, he refused to play young players for the sole reason that they were young. He also refused to compromise his style considering the team he had. Once it was too late, then he played the young guys. In this CURRENT season with the awful Knicks, his handling of Channing Frye (who Thomas calls untouchable right now) at time has been questionable. Frye has gotten minutes, but his minutes were inexplicably cut in the Month of March (until he got hurt) and other times during the season. The Knicks suck! Give the young guys more minutes and prepare for next season! Frye averaged 24 min/gm. On that Knicks squad he should be over 30 min/gm easy.Exactly whats gotten into Brown regarding young players I have no idea.
I think I agree with most of this. I am by no means saying that Darko was a "perfect" person while in Detroit or anything....he probably had some confidence issues due to the way he was treated and being in a new country and b/c of his age....but I just think it is stupid to call him a bust just because his coaches refused to let him play anything other than one garbage minute here and there..I mean....what is he supposed to do, throw up 10 points and 5 blocks and 8 boards with 25 seconds left to play???Darko is finally getting a chance to play...and he is doing pretty well. Is he ready to be a star?? No. Needs more work/time. But he is contributing in his first ever chance to do so...and Orlando has been a noticably better team since he got there (not saying this is only due to his presence...but he has served his role and seems to be the first sub off the bench). I bet he'll be starting next year and end up posting something like 15 pts a game, 8 boards, 2 assists, 3 blocks a game.....which would be pretty solid.Oh....and to be on the topic....Lebron is a monster. If he ever gets a dominant big man as his sidekick.........that could be a sick combo.