helmuth's '4 types of players' can someone explain

Yeah, the Mouse, Elephant, Jackal, and Eagle.Mouse is pretty tightElephant is really looseJackal is a loose agressiveand he's an "Eagle", who just plays very very smart poker.Though I get the feeling I'm forgetting a type.. Anyway, they're just codenames for his book to describe how people play. You see a mouse raise, you know they've got it. Elephant's have everything, Jackals usualy have nothing. Eagles are rare.

actually he does say the 5th is called EAGLE... only a few people are this great but if they are, its best if you never play them cuz youll get spanked...

Ah, Lionand there are eagles, there's actually 5 types.I'm assuming Ian is referring to Poker By The Book, where Phil describes it. If you watch it carefully, he splits the screen into 4ths, and after he names all 4 types, he says "And then there's Eagles, which is what I am."But yeah, Lions are the really good ones. Eagles are the ones with pure talent.

i heard phil talking about his books telling about teh 4 types of players.anyone know/can explain this?
There are actually five types, and they're similar to the stereotypical player types you see in other books. Hellmuth names them after animals:The Mouse - very conservative, plays few hands and hardly ever raises unless they have a monster. What might be called tight-passive in a more traditional classification system.The Lion - a tight player who occasionally bluffs. Tight-aggressive.The Jackal - loose and wild. Also called a maniac, very loose-aggressive.The Elephant - plays a lot of hands but doesn't raise much, calls to the river to keep people honest. A calling station, or loose-passive.The Eagle - a top level tournament pro who plays the game on a different level from the riff-raff.

Its a double money investment for Phil.People buy his book, 20 bucks.People read his ridicious animal types and learn how to play like a Jackal (thats what his book teaches) where they can blow money away trying ot be like that, more money for Phil.Double investment

People read his ridicious animal types and learn how to play like a Jackal (thats what his book teaches) where they can blow money away trying ot be like that, more money for Phil.
Well, it depends how you look at it. The Eagle type is really just a Jackal who's very good at reading people and hands. Boiled down, his advice is similar to that of most other pros: play tight-aggressive, because that's the best way to start showing at least a small profit. Then make whatever mysterious transformation you need to play looser and more aggressive yet win more money. Like many pros with a natural talent for reading people, Hellmuth can't tell you how to make that step because it is (or at least was) natural for him. Trying to make that transformation when you don't have a natural talent for it can be pretty expensive.