Did You Ever Wonder...

I guess this question applies better to Christians than to atheists...What would happen if you were born, say, into a Muslim family in the middle east? Clearly by living in an Arab world it would be much harder to embrace Christianity, especially when most things you base your life beliefs on come from your upbringing. But my main question is, how much of our "faith" is determined by influences around us that we have little control over?

I guess this question applies better to Christians than to atheists...What would happen if you were born, say, into a Muslim family in the middle east? Clearly by living in an Arab world it would be much harder to embrace Christianity, especially when most things you base your life beliefs on come from your upbringing. But my main question is, how much of our "faith" is determined by influences around us that we have little control over?
100% until you're old enough to think on your own, and even then its about 80% I would say.I used to pray the rosary with my mom every night, and I would literally talk to "Jesus" every night. Now I laugh at that and realize I was brainwashed for a few years in my life. My mom still prays the rosary, cries and everything...I laugh though because everytime I ask her to logically explain her faith she fails miserably.
100% until you're old enough to think on your own, and even then its about 80% I would say.I used to pray the rosary with my mom every night, and I would literally talk to "Jesus" every night. Now I laugh at that and realize I was brainwashed for a few years in my life. My mom still prays the rosary, cries and everything...I laugh though because everytime I ask her to logically explain her faith she fails miserably.
No one can explain faith logically. If it could be logically proven, then it wouldnt be faith, would it.I also agree 100% environment based. If you convert to Christianity from Muslim, another Muslim would be in his right to behead you. You certainly don't have free will in that case.Religion, in general, is generational, and often families disown members who renounce religious ties. Especially in the more "cultish" religions.
It's not that nice to laugh at your mom's faith like that... It's a very personal thing.

This week I was talking with a friend who has migrated to the US from Iran. He was raised Muslem and all he ever really knew was war and conflict. Much of that was brought about because of the religion in his country. While serving in the Iranian army he fought in the Iran/Iraq war and was wounded. While recovering from his wounds, an Armenian soldier gave him a Bible and once he started reading it, he realized that the God of the Bible offered love and peace to all who believe and accept the finished work of Christ on the cross. It was the peace that God offered that made him keep reading.He is now a Christian and he loves to share testimony with any who are interested.

No one can explain faith logically. If it could be logically proven, then it wouldnt be faith, would it.I also agree 100% environment based. If you convert to Christianity from Muslim, another Muslim would be in his right to behead you. You certainly don't have free will in that case.Religion, in general, is generational, and often families disown members who renounce religious ties. Especially in the more "cultish" religions.
Yah I was thinking along those lines. Obviously there is a much higher percentage of Christians in the US, and the same for muslims across the pond. It sucks big time to be born in an Arab nation then, doesn't it? I wanted to see some numbers like Arab converts to Christianity and American converts to Islam but i couldn't get any. Not so much to compare the numbers together, but to show the LIKELIHOOD of an Arab to become a Christian.