Passed Out In A Shoot Out

So, I signed up for a $16 WSOP Double Shootout on Stars to kill some time last night. I quickly won my table and I waited and waited for the final table to start, but eventually I passed out on the couch.When I awoke, the tournament was over, and to my delight I finished 2nd which didn't win me the seat, but was good for $76. So... How the hell does that happen?

congrats on the cash????
lol, I know this may sound like some weird brag post, but I am really baffled about how this could have happened. I mean, when it got down to three handed, wouldn't they just blind me off? It was a shootout, so everyone was gunning for top spot, which was the seat, but... are people that stupid?

I'm sure after they realized that you were dead, they just started playing aggresively, realizing that if they took out their opponent, they would just blind you off and win.So if a shootout is 100 players with the winners of each 10 person table playing the final...My question is, if the buy in was 16$, how do they cover the $10,000 seat?Am I missing something?