My Table

BMWGuy: How did you manage to get the rail so smooth. I ended up with some small creases / folds on the edge? Any advice?How do you both (BMW and dEV) find playing with the padding under the playing surface? Mine is just felt over the plywood.
to get rid of creases...measure well and pull it TIGHT...and I mean TIGHT!!!I've never made one without the padding...but I don't think I'd want it any other way.
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BMWGuy: How did you manage to get the rail so smooth. I ended up with some small creases / folds on the edge? Any advice?How do you both (BMW and dEV) find playing with the padding under the playing surface? Mine is just felt over the plywood.
I have read you can also heat the surface with a blow dryer and pull it tighter before stapling it down. I fould a site with a lot of walk throughs and information about building your own tables.http://www.homepokertourney.com/tables_build.htm
I have read you can also heat the surface with a blow dryer and pull it tighter before stapling it down. I fould a site with a lot of walk throughs and information about building your own tables.http://www.homepokertourney.com/tables_build.htm
I ya forgot about that...we did use a hair dryer when we did the last table...and it was done outside in the hot summer last summer so it was pretty warm and strecthable.

A friend of mine has a table with nice deep cup holders and we have no problem with beer bottles spilling. However, I prefer no cup holders. The cup holders always seem to be in the way. I like the drink carts. They use them on the Sun Cruz and I think they are way more convenient. Good job on the table.

thanks theresayergan - first of all make sure you're using the right stuff! The material you should be using is marine vinyl. I thought I had bought Marine vinyl from JoAnne's. but they had the wrong vinyl marked!! So I made the rail and it was nearly impossible to make it smooth. Then I went back and found the right stuff, redid the rail, and had no problems with it at all. Other than that just pull tight like dev said. I didn't have to use a blowdryer on mine though, it wasn't all that hard.

thanks theresayergan - first of all make sure you're using the right stuff! The material you should be using is marine vinyl. I thought I had bought Marine vinyl from JoAnne's. but they had the wrong vinyl marked!! So I made the rail and it was nearly impossible to make it smooth. Then I went back and found the right stuff, redid the rail, and had no problems with it at all. Other than that just pull tight like dev said. I didn't have to use a blowdryer on mine though, it wasn't all that hard.
Im pretty sure thats what I had. I could only find "thick" vinyl though so it was really difficult to work with. I have a feeling the problem may also be in how we attached the vinyl to the underside of table - probably needed more staples etc.