Vegas Tournament Summary

So a while ago I made a thread about live tournaments in Vegas and how to play them, and I got some great responses that helped a ton. With that in mind, I thought I would post a summary with my thoughts about the tournaments I played in, in case anyone was thinking about playing them in the future. Its a long post, but hopefully it'll be helpful to someone.Paris, 9 a.m., 65+5: First live tournament ever. 40 people, start with 2k in chips, blind levels of 25/50, double every 15 minutes. Top 3 pay. The players in this were absolutely horrible. Min raising with aces and then check calling all the way down to the river despite having the nut boat. Numerous players had no clue what order they should act in. Others could not figure out which hand won after they'd been turned face up. I got lucky with JJ flopping top set and I doubled up early (someone called my all in on the turn with AT no pair no draw). After that I was able to just be aggressive and keep picking up blinds and small pots with cont bets (the people that survived the first half hour were generally extremely weak, limp/folding a lot) until I entered the FT in 3rd place. Had 3 all ins to my bb on the first hand and made a tiny call getting huge pot odds and got lucky, proceeded to win the tournament (first paid 1.2k, 2nd paid 700ish, 3rd paid 400ish)The players were horrible and the structure was horrible. Some of the dealers were very poor (not knowing how to chip race, dealing very slowly) and some were excellent. The bad dealers were probably getting 10-12 hands in per blind level, the good ones 15-18, which was a huge difference. The TD seemed competent and was nice enough.Caesar's Palace tournaments: The information on their website or at allvegaspoker is incorrect. They have two tournaments everyday, one at noon and one at 7 p.m. The noon is 80+60 (95% sure that's what it was), the 7 pm is 120+100. Start with 1.5k in chips, blinds of 25/50. Blinds double every 40 (!) minutes. 1 rebuy within the first two levels. Rebuy gets you 3k(!) in chips. Effectively 4.5k chips with 25/50 blinds for 200 bucks - pretty sweet deal if you ask me.I played in two of these. One I busted out of early when my tptk + flush draw couldn't outrun a set. The second I was probably chip leader with 20 left (start with 60), had about 17k after a bad beat (KK vs KQs, flush on the river) against a short stack. Blinds were 400/800, I make it 2500 utg with AK, get a short stack all in for 4k total, and then a big stack pushes for 12k total. I look at the guy, and putting my faith in Caro's book of tells, I see that he doesn't want me to call. I figure its AK/Q or QQ. I call, he flips JJ, shortie has like T8, I don't improve and then bust out shortly thereafter (pretty sure I would've gone very deep if I'd won that race, but the call I made has been bugging me ever since). While the 40 minute blind levels seem like heaven, this tournament is still very much a crap shoot after 3 or so hours. They get 60 people on weekdays (120-150 on weekends) and the people who play aren't ridiculously bad. This means that the average stack with 20 people left will be around 13k, with blind levels of 400/800 or 800/1600. The play is great for the first couple hours, but even 4.5k starting chips can't handle blinds that are doubling quite that fast. Nevertheless, it is a thousand times better than most vegas tournaments. The players were a mixed bag. There were some guys who looked like pimps and people who tried to act like they were 20 even though they were mid 30s. Some people who didn't know how to play (i seriously think their spouses just sat them in the tournament so they could get alone time for a couple of hours). Some people with ipods and poker gear (full tilt and pokerstars hats, legends of poker jackets, etc). And some people who knew how to play quite well - they weren't pros, but definitely had their act together and were playing some good poker. The dealers at Caesar, as well as the managers and the whole room, are beyond incredible. I ended up playing all my cash games here because the room is so nice - about 20 or so tables in the cash game area, great drinks, table side food service that was all comped, completely non-smoking and in its own area so there was no smoke permeating in the air. The tournament area easily has 40+ tables. The dealers I had were all very competent, polite, and kept the games moving quickly. I just really fell in love with this room. Even if you already have your favorite room, I recommend giving this one a shot.Caesar's Palace SNGs:They have these at 3 buyin levels, and they start one as soon as they have 10 people and a free dealer. The buyins are roughly 60, 120, and 200ish. I played one of these, a 60. Start with 1200 chips, 25/50 blinds, double every 15 minutes. 1st paid 250, 2nd 150, 3rd 100. The players in this were generally below average players, but great people and I had a great time playing with them, and the dealer was also hilarious and a fun time was had by all, even those who busted early ended up staying and ordering food and watching all the way to the end. I was out in 3rd for a small profit, made smaller by the fact that the dealer deserved every cent of tip we could spare. Luxor tournament:A couple friends were staying at tropicana and thought it would be cool if we all played in this tournament (something like 62 dollars after the rebuy). Start with 300 in chips, 10/15 blinds, go up every 15 minutes. Absolutely the worst tournament (and room) that I was in. The dealers were horrible, misdealing frequently, misreading the winning hand, generally keeping the action slow. The directors were also horrible, not posting payouts or blind structure anywhere, not informing all the dealers promptly when the blinds went up (some tables would play at a certain blind level for longer than others). They would keep the tables perfectly balanced, which would normally be fine, but we were required to wait while the person being moved to our table finished his hand at the other table, got up, brought his chips over, and sat down, before we could move to the next hand. When we're looking at 15 minute levels, we can't afford to spare a minute, much less 3, for that sort of stuff. Didn't cash in this, doubled up once on a coinflip, then had to push from lp when shortstacked with AT, called by KK, gg me. Just not a lot you can do in this tournament unless you catch a huge run of cards early (the players weren't impressive, but probably a bit better than the paris players, though the paris players were generally much more fun to have at the table - definitely worse than a lot of the caesar's players. Final piece of adviceMy other piece of advice is to read Caro's book on tells. You can read most of these people like a book if you've studied it. There is, however, a dangerous aspect to that - a lot of these players don't realise that they should feel weak and actually think that they do have the best hand when it would be clear to a 'good' player that they are behind. Also, just because someone thinks that they're weak, don't assume that means they will fold if you bet at them. That would be silly. They will call - I saw two seperate people call all ins with mid pocket pairs facing 3 overcards, and similar calls were made throughout all these tournaments. The players at Caears were the best I encountered in tournament play, and I think that even most of them would have a hard time competing in online tournaments with buyins of 20-30.

Thanks for the report rin. Sounds pretty soft overall. Looking forward to playing in some tournies next time I go out in May, and will definitely play at Caesar's - I had read similar excellent reviews of their poker room elsewhere. I guess they are one of the few rooms that have a dedicated tourney area, so they don't have to have absurd structures to end the tournies quickly in order to turn tables back over to cash games. I also liked the Wynn last time I was out - they have a daily $500 tourney that I played in, though I busted out early when my top two pair lost to a guy who hit his gutshot straight draw.I hear Venetian is building a huge poker room to open soon as well.

Caesar's Palace tournaments: The noon is 80+60 (95% sure that's what it was), the 7 pm is 120+100.
is it just me or are those insanely large tournament fees?thanks for the report.
is it just me or are those insanely large tournament fees?thanks for the report.
Buyin/Rebuy fee.Nice work therrinn, nice report.
for example, the 120+100 tournament is a buyin of 100, 20 dollar tournament fee, 100 dollar rebuy. Not 120 buyin and 100 fee.

My report:Sorry we didnt run into each other Therrinn.Got in Sunday and ran over to the Bellagio to try and satellite into the 2pm $500+40. Satellite is $100 + 30 two winners getting a seat plus $30 cash. In my first try I made it to 4th, never getting much traction and forced to push with something mediocre, called an out.Second attempt we had a 5 way last longer bet for $100 each. I looked to be the early favorite when I double up early knocking one player out, and had AK over AQ ahead to the turn which would have knocked out another player. A 4th diamond hit the river and his Qd took it down, and I was back to an average stack. I got decent cards and finished 2d winning a seat. The other winner was also in the last longer bet, and we had to chop since they wont deal once the tournament is finished. He had a chip lead of about 11k to 4k, and we chopped for 320/180. So for the $360 satellite + last longer investment I wound up with $210 in cash plus a seat in the $500.Unfortunately I went out in the second orbit of the $500 with my pocket Ks vs pocket As all the money in on a two tone flop..I thought I was protecting against a draw. :club: I played in the Caesars $120, 100 the next two nights. First night I never had much action, lasted through three of the 40 minute levels and then wound up having to push with a small pair and out.Second night was a bit better. I got pretty decent cards and was able to maintain an above average stack until my AK lost to a desperation all in with AJ that rivered a straight. As Therrinn noted, the blinds get crazy jumping from 100/600/1200 to 200/1000/2000 in the 7th level. That loss resulted in me going into the final table with 20k in chips...low stack or close to it, an M of around 6.5. We had just combined tables, so I knew half the opponents.2d or 3rd hand into the final table Im in the CO. MP (Ron Rose), limps in for $2000. He had limped a few times at the prior table (6 handed) and it was never showed a strong hand. Folded to me. The button is a drunk/jokester who should have been knocked out early but got lucky and built a huge stack, which was now down to a little above mine. I have pocket 4s. I think Ive got Ron Rose beat and folding to a raise. The drunk is a wild card. The blinds were unknown but stacks that easily covered me (60k or so) , probably around the same size as Ron. I decide to push the 4s. The blinds dont have a read on the limp (unless they know him from prior tourneys) and I thought they would be squeezed with marginal holdings, so there was a good chance my 20k would take it down.Any thoughts at this point? Results follow:SB wakes up with QQ, isolates against me and Im out. I suppose I could have been more patient with a few hands to come before my blinds and a 6.5 M, but I still dont think it was a horrible play.

Coper,So I guess that means that the Bellagio is no longer doing the 1k buy-ins every day?As for your push with the pocket 4s, I don't think its a horrible play, but I don't really like it. You have too many stacks left behind you that have enough chips to call you with holdings like AQ and any mid-pp+. I guess what it ultimately comes down to is whether you think that 25k vs 20k will make a real difference in your ability to move up the ladder. You played in the caesars 120 on sunday night? I was looking for you in the tournament room, but guess you must have looked different than in the picture.

So I guess that means that the Bellagio is no longer doing the 1k buy-ins every day?
About a month ago, they changed their tourney schedule back to the old way: $540 on Sunday-Thursday, $1,060 on Friday/Saturday. They also moved the start time up to 2:00 for all of 'em.
Coper,So I guess that means that the Bellagio is no longer doing the 1k buy-ins every day?As for your push with the pocket 4s, I don't think its a horrible play, but I don't really like it. You have too many stacks left behind you that have enough chips to call you with holdings like AQ and any mid-pp+. I guess what it ultimately comes down to is whether you think that 25k vs 20k will make a real difference in your ability to move up the ladder. You played in the caesars 120 on sunday night? I was looking for you in the tournament room, but guess you must have looked different than in the picture.
Were you playing? I didnt see any young MM's at any of the tables. I was in the back corner, listening to the other tables call the floor every five minutes, lol. Only difference from the Doyles Room picture would be glasses...but light and thin so I dont think i look any different.Tonight at Caesars:Got there ten minutes late and everybody had rebought already. Before I had a chance I limped with 76s, two other limpers, a 3x bb raise from the BB which I called. Flop 58J rainbow. Raiser makes a small bet, I call. Turn is a 9 and I double through him when he pushed into me. I was getting great starting cards, raising almost every other hand for the first half hour..I looked like a maniac, and showed an AK and pocket Ts that were folded to just to retain some credibility. I built my stack up to about 4500 from the original 1500.Unfortunately one donk wasnt paying enough attention to the good hands I showed. I had AcTd, standard raise from the CO, BB calls. Flop is KT6 two clubs. I bet pot, BB calls. Turn is T (not a club). I bet the pot, he calls. River is 8c. Since I had the Ac, and priced him out of draws I call his push....he flushed. Didnt even have a pair to go with it.After that the cards didnt come quite as frequently but anytime I had a hand I got paid off by some horrible calls, knocking out 4 or 5 players before we got moved. I wind up sitting to the left of Johan Storakers, two time WPT final tableist, and several European championships to his credit. There were a few other players I recognized from other nights, and one from Foxwoods. Totally different table. Lots of raising (besides by me), reraising, blind stealing with large raises from the CO and BB. Johan doesnt have a lot of chips so isnt much of a force, playing very tight, and the couple of apparent steals of his that got called he always had an A.A guy at the opposite end of the table seems to have the attitude that he and Johan were destined for the FT at our expense, when I picked up pocket As in MP to his BB. I raise 4x bb after Johan limped, and the BB re-raises, Johan folds and I call. I forget the board cards but after I aggressively bet the flop and turn he reraises me on the turn. Im very confident my Aces are good and push back...he calls with middle pair!After that I was able to coast to the FT as chip leader, but with the blinds starting to take off. I finally start to get some bad cards and cant call Johan and the seat to his right, who was very aggressive. Aggressive Player is Button. I pick up pocket Ts. in EP..I think we were 7 handed at the time, top 4 get paid. Blinds 200/1000/2000. My 70k stack has dwindled down to high 50s. I make it 7k to go. Folded to the Button who calls, blinds fold. Flop is A72 off. I lead with 5k, trying to represent the A in case he has an overpair to my Ts. He reraises me 15k and I fold, as I had planned to if he wanted to tell me he has the A.When it gets to 6 handed we make a deal, with first placed contributing 300, second place 100, and those are paid 150 to 6th place and 250 to 5th place.An orbit or so later we are down to 4 handed when two shortish stacks get beat on the river by the Aggressive Player. He called a 10k or so push by a short stack with something like 86o and manages a 6 on the river. He and Johan are now chip leaders, Im third stack with about 40k, and 4th stack is to my left. Blinds are up to 400/2000/4000 and I pick up KJo on the button, raising to 12000. Short stack pushes for about 8000 more, and I figure he has an A but I that have two live cards, so I have to call, being only about a 60:40 dog (turns out I was only 57:43 dog to his A7). The A holds up and now Im short stack.Im able to stay alive stealing blinds with solid raises, but not pushes, until AP knocks out the guy to my left. A few hands later I fold the button, Johan raises 30k and is called by AP. They wind up getting it all in, and AP knocks out Johan!Johan gets paid about 1400, and the only difference between 1st and 2d is 2700 vs 2200 because of the deal. I only have about 20k chips left, pick up AK on the button/sb, and push. He folds 82o.Next hand he min raises my BB, and I push with 9h5h, not having enough chips to do anything on the next hand if I fold here. He calls with an A, and Im out in 2d.Headed back there tomorrow for the nooner, flying out at 10 tomorrow night.
Nice job, Coper. Thanks for the report. Sounds like you held pretty good cards and played them well.
I was thinking about it this morning...not only were my cards great but except for two cases the situations were perfect also. I dont remember going into a single race for all my chips, and only remember being in one race starting from behind...AK vs 44. I also had AA vs 2 all ins and another caller, no cards duplicated between them and it held up.The two less than perfect situations were when I had AA in second position 5 handed (to aggressive players big blind). I made my then standard raise of 5k and it folded around. There had been a couple of limps by other players recently (primarily Johan vs AP), and I might have been able to limp/reraise. With 3 players behind me I might have been a bit paranoid about getting 3 calls and having them cracked.The other one was the 2d to last hand when my AK got folded to despite an overwhelming chip lead.