bill banning online poker

Without neteller/firepay/IGM/credit cards being used to deposit into poker sites the fish will be gone.A bunch of sharks playing each other online isn't what I'm looking for.
I agree the competition will certainly be more formidable. I also think neteller and firepay are most likely going to be uneffected by this measure, as opposed to IGM-Pay. Correct me if I am wrong, but IGM-Pay seems to be clearly linked with PartyGaming transactions, whereas neteller and firepay are more diverse in this regard.
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they get control of this, the control will come from the same place it usually does...the I.R.S.If they find you with any undeclared money like poker winnings, you have screwed the proverbial pooch if internet poker is illegal.You're screwed anyway if they find undeclared money.But, if it's illegal you won't be able to declare profits to protect yourself, and you are at double risk, not declaring it and doing it in the first place.

Relax, the threat that it might go through isn't as real as you think. Bills similar to this have failed several times, and I don't expect to see one pass, especially now that online gambling's industry has grown so large. Not only that, if America were to ban online gambling, it would conflict with the World Trade Organization(WTO)'s ruling that the US must not block offshore gambling sites.This is from BBC News."The WTO made the ruling after backing a complaint made against the US by the Caribbean island of Antigua, which is home to a number of internet betting websites. Under the WTO ruling, the US was given until April of this year to bring its legislation into line or else face sanctions, such as fines or tariffs.America could, however, choose to ignore the WTO ruling and accept the sanctions.The proposed new law has only just been put forward, and if it were to pass through the House of Representatives, it could still be rejected by the Senate. With America's current set of economic circumstances, I don't see the government passing this bill through.

Sorry I haven't posted about this like I promised... been really busy. There is good news about the online bill, and there is bad news. According to my professor, the good news is that there is no way online poker will be banned. There is too much money on the line for the big poker sites and a compromise will be reached which will fatten the governments pockets. The bad news is that the poker sites will have to follow really strict guidelines with respects to money transfers from US players.... for tax purposes. The sites will be accountable to file something like W-2 for the U.S. players. I guess it's better than nothing. He told me that this has been about money from the beginning and there is now way the sites will give up the US market. If they don't reach some resolution with respects to money, then the end is near.

this is why i gamble on european sites...this is why my neteller account isn't hooked up to my checking account...also shinychicken i was thinking about that business venture and yes its doable. with a little bit of working capitol you could launch the company within a few days. so if this bill ever look like its actually going to pass i will be looking for some partners, ha.

Do you understand how serious a violation of bill would be. It's jail time plus millions of dollars in fines. I don't believe the sites will do that for your little rake. There was a case a few years ago about two guys who set up an online sports betting op in Antigua (both US citizens). They were charged in violation of the Fed Wire Act. One of them came back to the US to fight it in court - he was arrested. The other guy stayed in Antigua. The business continued and continues to take clients from the US.So, the morale of the story is, when there are millions of dollars to be made, people, even US citizens, are quite willing to forego their right to step onto US soil and live a cozy life on a tropical island.The intellectual property professor at UCLA is the foremost authority in this subject and he believes it will pass. Can you explain to me what online poker has to do with intellectual property? Nobody is stealing any property. There are financial transactions taking place between people inside and outside the US and companies based outside the US. That's all. Companies based outside the US are not subject to US taxation. US citizens are subject to taxation, so it's up to the IRS to hunt down players who make profits online.I will give you a hypo to help you understand. You make product "x" and your located in a foriegn country. Product "x" is illegal in America. You sell the product in the US anyway. Your analogy is false. The online sites are not selling their "product" in the US. They are making their product available to US citizens, who then access their servers (based outside the US) to "purchase" the product.I'll give you a better example. Cuban cigars are illegal in the US, but legal in Canada. There is no law that prevents a Canadian store from selling Cuban cigars to US citizens, and in fact this happens routinely. It is illegal for that US citizen to "smuggle" these cigars into the US, but the US gov has absolutely nothing to say about the selling, since it takes place on foreign soil.That's what's at issue here - all these transactions take place on a server located outside the US. The US gov does not have jurisdiction and can't go after these companies without violating various trade agreements.
You sound like you went to law school. What law school taught you this? I don't want to flame b/c I can tell you did put thought into post, but you need to take Corporations and Intellectual Property again because you don't get it. Your cigar analogy is WRONG. It is illegal to have Cubans. I'll give you another hypo that is less extreme. In Mexico, it is perfectly legal to have steriods without a prescription; you can pick them up at any pharmacy in Tijuana. However, if they ship it to you, based on your logic, it is perfectly legal. WRONG.. it is still a federal crime to possess steriods just like it is play poker online if (chances are it will not) the bill passes. Additionally, by shipping the steriods, the company is in trouble because they violated a federal law by doing so. This is their buisness and ignorance of the law will not be an excuse. If they engage in activity that is illegal in US, they face federal prosecution along with seizure of all their funds. If an online site allows US citizens to play, they will have knowingly violated federal law and all the governement has to do is extradite the CEOs. Re-read your Corporation and Intellectual Property casebooks. Online poker is intellectual property. There is no other way to define this genre of law. I'm sure in time it will have its own niche, but for now this is the only place it falls.
You sound like you went to law school. What law school taught you this? I don't want to flame b/c I can tell you did put thought into post, but you need to take Corporations and Intellectual Property again because you don't get it. Your cigar analogy is WRONG. It is illegal to have Cubans. I'll give you another hypo that is less extreme. In Mexico, it is perfectly legal to have steriods without a prescription; you can pick them up at any pharmacy in Tijuana. However, if they ship it to you, based on your logic, it is perfectly legal. WRONG.. it is still a federal crime to possess steriods just like it is play poker online if (chances are it will not) the bill passes. Additionally, by shipping the steriods, the company is in trouble because they violated a federal law by doing so. This is their buisness and ignorance of the law will not be an excuse. If they engage in activity that is illegal in US, they face federal prosecution along with seizure of all their funds. If an online site allows US citizens to play, they will have knowingly violated federal law and all the governement has to do is extradite the CEOs. Re-read your Corporation and Intellectual Property casebooks. Online poker is intellectual property. There is no other way to define this genre of law. I'm sure in time it will have its own niche, but for now this is the only place it falls.
No.