i think i made the right move

Sorry I dont have the hand history I was on a friends computer. I was on the button with 56 hearts, two limpers in front so I called as did the sb and bb checked. Flop is JH 3C 7C, checked all around. Turn is the 4 of hearts checked to me so I bet the pot($2.50, 50 max NL) only the sb calls. River is the 2 of hearts, sb goes all in for 70 which is slightly more than I had.Thought for not too long and layed it down. Thoughts?

Sorry I dont have the hand history  I was on a friends computer.  I was on the button with 56 hearts, two limpers in front so I called as did the sb and bb checked. Flop is JH 3C 7C, checked all around. Turn is the 4 of hearts checked to me so I bet the pot($2.50, 50 max NL) only the sb calls. River is the 2 of hearts, sb goes all in for 70 which is slightly more than I had.Thought for not too long and layed it down.  Thoughts?
the answer to this question is all about your read on the villian? without a read or any information, not much advice anybody can give you here...other than that you have to call $70 (depending on your stack size???) to win an originally $7.50 pot... you do the math

The pot odds are pretty awful to call with this hand, so I think you made the right decision assuming that you had little to no read on your opponent.If this person is overbetting a hand that you beat that much on the river, you'll stack him eventually.

What a silly play. Fold. I'd say you have the best hand here a lot but getting an awful price. What a silly silly play.
If you have the best hand a lot then why are you folding.Even with the pot being 7.50 before his 70$ all in you only have to call and be right about 45% of the time to break even.
What a silly play. Fold. I'd say you have the best hand here a lot but getting an awful price. What a silly silly play.
If you have the best hand a lot then why are you folding.Even with the pot being 7.50 before his 70$ all in you only have to call and be right about 45% of the time to break even.
Because it's not a big edge. I think we're ahead here maybe 45-55% of the time. I'm really looking for a bigger edge than that against a player who clearly is not a strong player. I can bust this player w/o making a call against a wild overbet.
Because it's not a big edge. I think we're ahead here maybe 45-55% of the time. I'm really looking for a bigger edge than that against a player who clearly is not a strong player. I can bust this player w/o making a call against a wild overbet.
Guess so but if you think you're 50% to win you're making 7.50 on your call every time and if you bust you can merely rebuy and bust him later.I think his overbet doesnt exactly make him a donk. If he put you on a flush draw or a strong made hand like a straight or set your standard 50 nl donk is calling away his stack.I mean i'm folding here but thats cause I think we're good here something more like 25-33% of the time.
Guess so but if you think you're 50% to win you're making 7.50 on your call every time and if you bust you can merely rebuy and bust him later.I think his overbet doesnt exactly make him a donk. If he put you on a flush draw or a strong made hand like a straight or set your standard 50 nl donk is calling away his stack.I mean i'm folding here but thats cause I think we're good here something more like 25-33% of the time.
He Lost value on this hand if he had a big hand and ensured that he would only be called by a hand that was beating him if he didn' have the nuts.For the first part... I think of it in a financial way (Academic finance, not money in my pocket). I have to call 70 to on average make 7.5, or otherwise roughly a 10% return on my money. I can find spots where I can call 35 to win $80 and win 80% of the time or in other words win 64 on aaverage. I get close to a 185% return on my money in this case.

Sorry I forgot to mention that the villian seemed to be playing fairly straight forward. I was playing pretty tight though so he may have just figured he could get me to lay it down and if 7.50 is worth that much to him I am pretty sure I can pick him off later.

brings up another question...this is a move i see a lot and it P*SSES me off. so, i guess it works as a bluff. i don't know anyone with a brain that would call that unless they had the stone-cold nuts, or a lot of reads on this donkey.does everyone usually fold here(i assume so) and does it aggravate you as much as it aggravates me? :evil:

brings up another question...this is a move i see a lot and it P*SSES me off. so, i guess it works as a bluff. i don't know anyone with a brain that would call that unless they had the stone-cold nuts, or a lot of reads on this donkey.does everyone usually fold here(i assume so) and does it aggravate you as much as it aggravates me? :evil:
I fold w/o 2nds nuts or better. and it doesn't aggrevate me... it whets my appetite.
Sorry I forgot to mention that the villian seemed to be playing fairly straight forward. I was playing pretty tight though so he may have just figured he could get me to lay it down and if 7.50 is worth that much to him I am pretty sure I can pick him off later.
highly doubt that he's only bluffing at you here to try and pick up a small potIm going to take a few stabs at what I think villian is holding... his bet seems like one last desperation move to take down this pot. I just can't see why anyone (especially a straight forward player) would go all-in here when they make their flush on the river. I say he's holding a set of 3's or 4's, maybe a 56 for the straight on the turn, and at very least, some kind of a two pair hand.just guessing
calling here might be a little bit +ev if we're winning say 47% of the time, but the fact thats its a bit +ev isnt enough to compensate for the huge swings in variance it causes. IMO.
couldn't agree more...this is one thing that gets me in trouble if i don't pay attention. true it will pay off in the long run, but when? and probably not by the same guy anyway.

Most people playing 50 NL are not going to risk 70 dollars to steal that kind of money, and if he did without the flush GOOD FOR HIM. The sad thing is, his play wasn't that bad, because I sure some perpetual doubters called in the past with the hand you folded. Yes this might be really annoying to see but just fold it's never worth it. If you get caught up thinking, 40-50% this could be good.. blah blah blah, just fold and save yourself the headache. Calling is a losing play, you never wanna make a habit of calling giant giant bets when you are not leading the hand. Don't be a hero... GOOD FOLD

Most people playing 50 NL are not going to risk 70 dollars to steal that kind of money, and if he did without the flush GOOD FOR HIM. The sad thing is, his play wasn't that bad, because I sure some perpetual doubters called in the past with the hand you folded. Yes this might be really annoying to see but just fold it's never worth it. If you get caught up thinking, 40-50% this could be good.. blah blah blah, just fold and save yourself the headache. Calling is a losing play, you never wanna make a habit of calling giant giant bets when you are not leading the hand. Don't be a hero... GOOD FOLD
Thanks for the imput.I was feeling just fine about the fold when I made the decision. I basically felt like there were was hardly much in the pot and in the situation I didn't have nearly enough information to make that call. To tell the truth i really wan't even bothered by it until I started reading the thread than I started second geussing myself but hey I wanted the imput form other players so...