the perverse pleasure of the angry nerd

Whenever I visit this forum I see numerous posts discrediting the skill of Daniel Negreanu as a poker player. They compartmentalise his long running success into a 'lucky 2004' usually followed up with an attack on his character. Why do people do this? Apart from being repetitious, pointless and boring, they are cowardly as well. The computer screen offers an outlet for highly weird behaviour where an angry nerd can take perverse pleasure in abusing others whilst providing a safeguard from retaliation.Unlike many of the members of this forum, I'm no poker expert but just by typing his name into an internet search engine, it is obvious that Negreanu's performance in 2004 ranks as one of the greatest in the history of the game. Regardless of skill, or a poor run of cards, the following year was always going to pale in comparison.Variance, or poor form, is evident in every sport and game. After his phenomenal performance at the '97 US Masters, Tiger Woods lost his world number one spot and won very little until 2000 when he became the first player ever to hold all four major titles at once. The critics questioned his talent in the intervening years and due to his newfound superstar status, the word 'over-rated' was used more than once. Some readers may find it slightly bizarre to compare Negreanu to Woods and I can accept that, but I'm willing to bet that the same people who defame Negreanu now spoke negatively of Woods during his less successful years.Perhaps the English media are the worst at stomping on a man when he's not winning. But that is their profession. What is the excuse of these internet forum vultures with a thirst for online aspersion? Are they willing to admit that their greatest wordly pleasure is sitting behind a computer screen and posting slur after slur to support their own insecure ego. As I already stated, it's cowardly. It's unethical to insult a man if he isn't there to break your nose.Being a poker novice, you may say that I don't know what I'm talking about. Perhaps you're right and there is no real point to this post. I make no predictions that Negreanu will ever win another major title but there is no doubting his poker skill and his position among the elite of his profession. And when I log on to this site I want to see positive discussion as I'm sure most of you do. The perverse pleasure of the angry nerd is unfathomable to me. I pray they take their bile and insults away from the immunity of their armchair and onto the streets where lessons will be learnt accordingly.

There was no point to this post. It's all been said before and you're just going to start another lame flamewar where people pad their postcounts with drivel and waste time that could be better spent capping it preflop at .02/.04 limit.Daniel is good but he seems to be less focused on his primary profession and sillier at the table. Also, I see too many posts where he disregards his results as luck. Maybe that's just my selective memory, but it hasn't made for as good of a read as his older posts.

Good post OP, welcome to the forums.

Daniel is good but he seems to be less focused on his primary profession and sillier at the table. Also, I see too many posts where he disregards his results as luck. Maybe that's just my selective memory, but it hasn't made for as good of a read as his older posts.
You base that on what? Your time spent discussing his life outside of poker with him? You guys just BS around some beers?Seriously.. :wall:

Wow the people on this board are straight forward! They outright hate eachother:PYou guys all need to calm down, who cares if theres a flame war and people go mad, its not your problem, let them. If you don't want to then don't bother!

My apologies. I did think this kind of thing might have been covered many many times before but it just pisses me off to see so many morons writing negative trash. Had to say something to get it off my chest. Don't wanna start any needless arguments, not my intention.

My apologies. I did think this kind of thing might have been covered many many times before but it just censored me off to see so many morons writing negative trash. Had to say something to get it off my chest. Don't wanna start any needless arguments, not my intention.
No need to apologize. There just seems to be a thread per day on this or related topics.
Based on the blog he posts detailing the events of his day to day life and the televised events from the past year.
Watch the 2004 WSOP event with him, Juanda, Matusow, Paul Phillips and company. He was seemingly being much 'sillier' there than in recent televised events. My point is, essentially, that, you don't know how seriously he's taking poker or how seriously he's taking life in general. You have literally zero idea how seriously he's taking poker other than what you've seen on television and gathered from a couple blog posts. If anything, it sounds like he's playing a lot more regularly now than he was leading up to his marriage (understandably, so). I'm not saying that what you say may not be true--it might be true. I'd have no idea, either. But making these statements is..eh.. -EV.

It's a pretty logical conclusion to state that the endless promo appearances, travel, and other events have made him less focused on his profession. This was my original statement and I fail to see why I would need to know Daniel better than I do for me to have any sort of confidence that it is true.Also.. ~100 blog posts is not 'a couple.'

It's a pretty logical conclusion to state that the endless promo appearances, travel, and other events have made him less focused on his profession. This was my original statement and I fail to see why I would need to know Daniel better than I do for me to have any sort of confidence that it is true.Also.. ~100 blog posts is not 'a couple.'
Probably something to do with you representing your opinion as a fact. "He is..." as opposed to, "It seems to me that.." Do you see how those are different? 100 blog posts since when? Since he's been on the downside of variance?..and how did 100 blog posts, where he selects specifically what he's talking about, clue you in?
My apologies. I did think this kind of thing might have been covered many many times before but it just censored me off to see so many morons writing negative trash. Had to say something to get it off my chest. Don't wanna start any needless arguments, not my intention.
No need to apologize. Welcome to the FCP forum Bert !It is nice to see someone who was drawn to this site becauseof an appreciation of DN (like myself and several others here) I enjoy a gooddebate, but we have had an awful lot of people come to this forum just to insult DN, and I think that's just plain rude.Please look into the strat forums here. You will find a friendlier crew who welcome anyone who legitimately want to learn.
There was no point to this post. It's all been said before and you're just going to start another lame flamewar where people pad their postcounts with drivel and waste time that could be better spent capping it preflop at .02/.04 limit.Daniel is good but he seems to be less focused on his primary profession and sillier at the table. Also, I see too many posts where he disregards his results as luck. Maybe that's just my selective memory, but it hasn't made for as good of a read as his older posts.
Wow. Way to start the weekend. Relax......you are the one trying to start trouble here.

Thanks for your welcome finztotheleftI've been reading posts in the forum for quite a while, there are some really great articles and it's obviously a big online community. I know this thread might not be so original and I didn't want to start any arguments but i there were a few things I wanted to say anyway. I'll certainly be sticking around and maybe even play a bit on FCP when my game improves.One question: How do you paste a quote into your post when replying to another posters sentence or paragraph. It seems to be beyond my beer addled brain right now and I'm new to forums in general. Thanks.

Thanks for your welcome finztotheleftI've been reading posts in the forum for quite a while' date=' there are some really great articles and it's obviously a big online community. I know this thread might not be so original and I didn't want to start any arguments but i there were a few things I wanted to say anyway. I'll certainly be sticking around and maybe even play a bit on FCP when my game improves.One question: How do you paste a quote into your post when replying to another posters sentence or paragraph. It seems to be beyond my beer addled brain right now and I'm new to forums in general. Thanks.[/quote']
Use the Quote button in the upper right corner of the reply you're attempting to quote. Or, cut and paste the text you want to quote, paste it into the reply box, highlight it and click the "quote" buttons. You should see a
and a |/quote] box around it, and it'll be fine.
No need to apologize. Welcome to the FCP forum Bert !It is nice to see someone who was drawn to this site becauseof an appreciation of DN (like myself and several others here) I enjoy a gooddebate, but we have had an awful lot of people come to this forum just to insult DN, and I think that's just plain rude.Please look into the strat forums here. You will find a friendlier crew who welcome anyone who legitimately want to learn.
Don't forget OT!! It's my recent home on FCP(OT= Off Topic Forum BTW Bert)
Probably something to do with you representing your opinion as a fact. "He is..." as opposed to, "It seems to me that.." Do you see how those are different?
Daniel is good but he seems to be less focused on his primary profession and sillier at the table. "
Please re-read my posts before making claims such as the above.
Or, cut and paste the text you want to quote, paste it into the reply box, highlight it and click the "quote" buttons.
Thanks DrawingDead. I'm a computer retard so I'm not sure if this is gonna work. Here goes.............Edit: Okay, almost, but it doesnt say 'DrawingDead wrote' etc at the top. How can I do this? I think it needs to be spelt out for me. Sometimes I forget out to spell my own name...........
Or, cut and paste the text you want to quote, paste it into the reply box, highlight it and click the "quote" buttons.
Thanks DrawingDead. I'm a computer retard so I'm not sure if this is gonna work. Here goes.............Edit: Okay, almost, but it doesnt say 'DrawingDead wrote' etc at the top. How can I do this? I think it needs to be spelt out for me. Sometimes I forget out to spell my own name...........
IF you hit the quote button it will insert it for you.If it doesn't, you'll have to to use this format, brackets excludedquote="DrawingDeadInQPC"Also, you added an extra closed quote tag in your post.
Probably something to do with you representing your opinion as a fact. "He is..." as opposed to, "It seems to me that.." Do you see how those are different?
Daniel is good but he seems to be less focused on his primary profession and sillier at the table. "
Please re-read my posts before making claims such as the above.
I was more referencing this...
It's a pretty logical conclusion to state that the endless promo appearances, travel, and other events have made him less focused on his profession.
But I'm not going to argue it, I don't know how you can make these assumptions and generalizations based on a blog, but, whatever.
IF you hit the quote button it will insert it for you.If it doesn't, you'll have to to use this format, brackets excludedquote="DrawingDeadInQPC"Also, you added an extra closed quote tag in your post.
Explain.

I don't feel like digging through blog entries to prove something on an internet message board. I've wasted far too much time in ridiculous semantic arguments with MB addicts who do nothing but try to poke holes in other people's statements.. Not to say you're guilty of that, but it's a common occurence here.Let's just say that, IMO, both the quality and quantity of poker-related blog entries has fallen since the blog started. I could be entirely wrong were I to take the time to look through all the entries, but I don't really care. For now, back to PLO and watching people reraise it from $5 to $9 preflop with quality hands likeKc 6s 6d 5s.I love the pokerroom network!

I don't feel like digging through blog entries to prove something on an internet message board. I've wasted far too much time in ridiculous semantic arguments with MB addicts who do nothing but try to poke holes in other people's statements.. Not to say you're guilty of that, but it's a common occurence here.Let's just say that, IMO, both the quality and quantity of poker-related blog entries has fallen since the blog started. I could be entirely wrong were I to take the time to look through all the entries, but I don't really care. For now, back to PLO and watching people reraise it from $5 to $9 preflop with quality hands likeKc 6s 6d 5s.I love the pokerroom network!
Fair enough.. take 'er easy.