big pot...overcall??

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cxPreflop: Hero is CO with 8:club:, 8:diamond:. UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.Flop: (14 SB) 2:spade:, 4:diamond:, 3:spade: (7 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.Turn: (13 BB) 2:heart: (4 players)UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero calls, UTG calls $1 (All-In).River: (17 BB) K:club: (4 players, 1 all-in)UTG+1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero??1. How many people just call preflop?2. Should I have folded the turn given the action on the flop?3. Is this a mandatory overcall given the pot size or can I let this hand go?For the record I did make the call.

1. me.2. depends on UTG. Some players don't play draws aggressively, others get looney with overcards. And even others only limp pf with A5. Without a read, I wouldn't make a habit of folding turns in huge pots with an overpair.3. Meh. You have Mp2 beat. I think you have UTG beat often enough to call here.

Flop: (14 SB) 2, 4, 3 (7 players) SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 3-bets
What can UTG+1 have?-He did not raise preflop.I do not put him on a higher pocket pair than your 88.-Two pair is extremely unlikely.- He could have flopped a set.- He could be playing his flush draw strong.- He may be protecting a very vulnerable top pair (A4).There is a good chance he is ahead of you and you are drawing slim.But there is still plenty of chance you are not behind.If this is heads up, you obviously do not fold this hand.So let's look at the other opponents to see if they have given us reason to think we need to worry about them.MP doesn't think his hand is very special.He has turned down every opportunity to raise.He has a piece and he wants to show it down, but it certainly does not look like he can beat an overpair.UTG looks like a fish who doesn't even keep a big enough stack to play a full hand.He could have anything.But he likely has little.Due to the fact that we are likely ahead of both the other opponents, I think challenging UTG+1 by calling down this river in this large pot makes sense.--cm
Due to the fact that we are likely ahead of both the other opponents, I think challenging UTG+1 by calling down this river in this large pot makes sense.
Yeessssssssssssssss.And Actuary says I'm out of touch with the small stakes aspect of the game. :-)

Shouldn't we be waiting for the turn to raise? There are so many bad cards that can come for us on the turn that I think waiting for a safe turn card when our equity skyrockets would be better. It might be possible to make OESD's call unprofitably on the turn if they have to call two cold or two in general.Being the aggressor on the turn can set us up for a free showdown if a very ugly card comes on the river.I'm citing SSHE and another hand where the correct play was to wait for the turn when we had pocket nines in this situation.

Shouldn't we be waiting for the turn to raise? There are so many bad cards that can come for us on the turn that I think waiting for a safe turn card when our equity skyrockets would be better.
Yeah.As long as we don't freeze up if something like a J comes off.

disregard me in this hand.i'll stop posting during downswings..not that I have downswings..more like sideways swings..that just look down compared to normal up swings!this hand takes more thought then I could give while working.waing for safe turn sure sounds like a good idea by the way.....