the genius of dan harrington

to the OP, in volume two the detailed breakdown of the ever changing value of hands in shorthanded play, and ultimatley in heads up play...for example, head up 7-2 off suti is no longer the worst hand, instead it is 2-3 off suit....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been through both books and essentially need to read them again, there's a lot of good information.The "M" help me tremendously.Green Zone, Yellow zone, Orange zone, red zone, dead zone and how M's compare to each, and the strategy's that follow.The Q, relation of your M compared to others M and where you stand in the tournament.Hand Analysis.Flops to bet, flops to check.When to bet to protect against draws.How much to bet to effectively steal pot without risking to much of your stack.How to play every hand in every position pretty much.How to play short handed and HU.How to play against every style of player, tight agressive, loose agressive, super agressive, conservative.One thing I did want to mention. You won't start being able to utilize this information until you play serveral more tournaments after you read HOH1/2. You tend to over think because Dan Harrington is such a genious he makes you want to think like one, but in reality not everyone is a genious.Read the books, take the time to understand, get some experience using his strategies, THEN, rake in the cash.GL,The BwavesSide note, at the end of HOH2 he states he's coming out with HOH3 which will be in quiz format and you will have to answer on how you would play each hand. THAT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!!

his book seems to be geared towars playing tight players but i skip around alot
don't be fooled by his image that he and the media have created. In no way does he advocate playing as tight as he is portrayed as...It's a good book for any kind of player with any kind of style in mind. read the whole thing, word for word.
We all should know poker is for donkeys and should be the reason for the white house. Put in a poker table ,and save DC from the bomb. Mtt is for movie stars that is why Harman is in them, Harrington is from Sanat Moncia a regular censored state so would why???
so would why....couldn't have said it better myself. good post.
Speaking of tourney books, I have a bunch of FPP's on stars and was thinking of getting Tourney Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky.  They don't offer HOH.  I actually posted this in the book section last week and no one responded.  Has anyone read it??
You need to be able to regularly beat ring games before reading it. It doesn't contain any game-specific knowledge or concepts, it's based entirely on the differences between tournament play and ring game play. A few noteworthy concepts, but not really worth purchasing IMO. Sklansky's lack of effort is pretty apparent, but then again, there's just not that much material, and I'm sure he needed to meet a page quota.

Ken Uston made a million dollars playing blackjack before Daniel Negreanu was wiping his ass. He's one of the very first professional gamblers along with Doyle and some others. He just made it off of blackjack. If you don't think blackjack is skill, then you don't know what you are talking about.

If you don't think blackjack is skill, then you don't know what you are talking about.
Card counting takes skill. But considering that the csinos have the right to boot you if they figure out that you're counting, it's not a viable long term strategy. They will figure it out eventually.Memorizing the correct play without card counting doesn't take much skill.
He actually was semi retired from poker before the boom.
He's still fairly retired by the standards of most pros. His tourney schedule has been much lighter than most guys or I guarantee you he would have many, many more wins and cashes. The poster who asserted there are 30 better NLHE tournament players than Harrington is on crack.
Please understand that his results in these tourneys in no way reflect his success in poker...he has been recongnized by his PEERS, not US as a Premier Tournament player...if this was the case, look back on Doyle Brunsons run in the past 15 years or so in the tourney curcuit...does this reflect his ability? He makes most of his $$ in the cash games...I have no idea if Harrington plays in the big games but I'm sure he has at one time...if a player is repected by those who are currently at the top of their game, lets give the man a little credit...anyway,stats on the net are rigged...booohaaa!!!!!!!