downside of slowplaying.

PokerStars Game #3382018442: Tournament #16685635, Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2005/12/19 - 22:32:36 (ET)Table '16685635 124' Seat #3 is the buttonSeat 1: mboisvert (1450 in chips) Seat 2: battlefoe22 (480 in chips) Seat 3: treedan33 (1670 in chips) Seat 4: M000SE (3770 in chips) Seat 5: crema2005 (2560 in chips) Seat 6: Onceanight (860 in chips) Seat 7: Quicksleeve (1280 in chips) Seat 8: CaliAlias (1430 in chips) Seat 9: crzy4hcky (1430 in chips) M000SE: posts small blind 15crema2005: posts big blind 30*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to mboisvert [Ad Kc]Onceanight: folds Quicksleeve: folds CaliAlias: folds crzy4hcky: calls 30mboisvert: raises 90 to 120battlefoe22: calls 120treedan33: folds M000SE: folds crema2005: folds crzy4hcky: folds *** FLOP *** [Ts Kd 6s]mboisvert: checks battlefoe22: checks *** TURN *** [Ts Kd 6s] [6d]mboisvert: bets 175battlefoe22: calls 175*** RIVER *** [Ts Kd 6s 6d] [Jc]mboisvert: bets 185battlefoe22: calls 185 and is all-in*** SHOW DOWN ***mboisvert: shows [Ad Kc] (two pair, Kings and Sixes)battlefoe22: shows [Js Jh] (a full house, Jacks full of Sixes)battlefoe22 collected 1035 from potmboisvert said, "ouch"*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 1035 | Rake 0 Board [Ts Kd 6s 6d Jc]Seat 1: mboisvert showed [Ad Kc] and lost with two pair, Kings and SixesSeat 2: battlefoe22 showed [Js Jh] and won (1035) with a full house, Jacks full of SixesSeat 3: treedan33 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: M000SE (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 5: crema2005 (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 6: Onceanight folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 7: Quicksleeve folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 8: CaliAlias folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 9: crzy4hcky folded before FlopJust imagine if I had bet like I had the king, he might have mucked his Jacks.I was just kicking myself for slowplaying early on in the tourney.

Yeah, i would have been scared of a flush draw. I normally overbet w/ top pair (or even a set sometimes) simply because I HATE getting screwed by a flush. I know I could get more money by betting just enough to get him to chase, but I get steamed so bad when the flush hits that I will normally donk off the rest of my chips.

There are 4 criteria I use when considering whether to slowplay:1. Am I sure that a free card won't lose the hand?2. Am I reasonably sure that the opponents will fold to a bet now?3. Is there a reasonable chance that he will either improve to the point where he won't fold or make a play at me?4. The potential increase in chips is worthwhile (ie the current pot is too small to worry about, he has a stack that can afford to commit more chips etc.)I will only slowplay if all 4 of them exist, with one exception. If I am shortstacked, but not desperate, then I will accept less certainty in 1-3, as long as 4 is true (ie I will gamble more that it will pay off, as long as there is the potential to be paid off). In this hand criterion:1 fails2 fails3 passes..unfortunately because he has a reasonable chance to pull ahead4 there is 400 in the pot preflop, battlefoe had 260 in chips left...what chip gain can there be from slowplaying?A good slowplaying thread:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...pic.php?t=40641

Don't be results oriented, you got the villain to put 175 chips into the pot when he was drawing to a two-outer. That's about as good as it gets.I don't mind the flop check since your opponent is so short and will often push there with any two cards, but may fold to a bet.

Don't be results oriented, you got the villain to put 175 chips into the pot when he was drawing to a two-outer. That's about as good as it gets.I don't mind the flop check since your opponent is so short and will often push there with any two cards, but may fold to a bet.
Getting the money in as a big favorite isnt the point of the question, its whether slowplaying was the right way to get there. If he had pushed preflop or on the flop the money would have gotten in also.The question was whether slowplaying was the right way to get there, and imo it wasnt. There is just too little to gain from it in this situation.