What to do ...

when Variance kicks you in the teeth. I have been grinding away for the last several months slowly building up my bankroll. I started out small played alot of .50 - $1 limit. Grind Grind Grind ... Used smart bankroll mangement and played with in my 300 bb constraints. Finally got up enough to safely play $1 - $2. Didn't do well and was losing consitantly, no problem my play obviously needs work. Back down to .50-$1. Grind Grind Grind ... I worked my roll up to about $800 and was considering moving up again and I suddenly can't win a hand. I am down almost 200 bb. I am well with in my bankroll requirements, I just can't seem to shake the funk. I think I am going to take a break for a week or so re-read SSHE and regroup.I am just curious how others here at FCP work through these times. Are there strategies anyone can suggest to avoid these large dips. A $200 swing at .50 $1 seems extreme to me, but maybe it is normal.Thoughts Anyone?

After losing about 100 BB in a two night stretch last month, I switched over to playing NL for a while. Not completely different, but the strategies for limit and NL are sufficiently different to give the limit part of my brain a much needed rest and let me work out the NL side.I haven't played much Omaha since realizing my huge downswing in PLO8 was due more to my censored play than variance.

Thanks for the responses. I may try a different game. I have not played Omaha for awhile. Maybe I will find a low limit game for a change of pace. As a side note I think I have been trying to get a little to cute trying to push people off hands. You know, you hold AK on the button and raise, get 4 callers. The the flop is something like 274. Checked to me I bet out get called by 2 players did they really call with those cards or just hoping to hit? Turn 9 check to me and I bet and 1 caller (What in gods name can he have). River 4. Checked to me (did he have a 4?) Check or fold? sometimes I do one sometimes the other. Get called . He turns over K2 I lose.Typical I should not push these hands like this I guess.Thanks allBTW the above hand is just made up, but is typical of what I have been seeing.

same exact problem i have been seeing. the worst is if you switch up your hand and put it out of position. I just suck on the river though. ps--i've re-read jenn harmons section in SSII like 3 times in 2 days (the power was out, had nothing better to do), she really does a good job explaining how, when, and feel to value bet AK high on the river.

you'll catch your fair share of schmucks at every level - online and in person. playing the ultra low-limit online games, you almost have to have the cards. moves don't work when 80% of the people will call you down once they've decided to see a flop. the chasing slows down a bit when you get to 2-4 and 3-6.