best of these classic bands

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

koop, i dont want to split hairs about different words. wait, arnt those opinions that you have labeled as facts in your sig?
Signatures don't count, it is CLEARLY meant just to stir the pot a little bit by calling them facts. No, they are not facts, they are opinions. They are "facts" only in my head. I'll change it.
KowboyKoop:"No, they aren't the highest in any of them, but they are up there and I like their music the best, so I say they are the best. "Your first statement and second statement are contradictory. Obviously you understand what I've been trying to explain, since you state it in the bolded section, and yet you argue otherwise. This is proof that you are simply argumentative and there is no reason to bother reasoning with you, since a reasoned conclusion is not your goal.I will therefore cease and desist.But I'm sure I was "OWNED" right?Daniel
I HAVE ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT IT IS MY OPINION THAT AC/DC IS THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME. THIS ENTIRE TIME, I HAVE SAID THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO MEASURE STATISTICALLY OR IN ANY OTHER WAY WHAT BAND IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME. THUS, IT IS ONLY AN OPINION. ANYONE WHO SAYS ANY BAND IS THE GREATEST IS ONLY STATING AN OPINION, THERE IS NO WAY TO FACTUALIZE IT!!!!!!!! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE SAID THE ENTIRE TIME, THE WHOLE THREAD, AND ALL THE OTHER POSTS!!! SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THE ONE DEFINITIVE EQUATION WHICH TAKES INTO ACCOUNT EVERY SINGLE FACTOR IMAGINABLE AND COMPUTES WHICH BAND IS, IN FACT, THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANYONE TO EVER SAY OTHERWISE. UNTIL THIS HAPPENS, WHICH IT NEVER WILL B/C IT IS IMPOSSIBLE, A STATEMENT OF WHICH BAND IS "THE BEST/GREATEST" WILL ALWAYS BE A MATTER OF OPINION. I LIKE AC/DC'S MUSIC THE BEST, AND THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR, AND THEY HAVE OUTSOLD 99.9 PERCENT ON BANDS IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC, AND THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR 33 YEARS, AND THEY ARE WIDELY REGARDED AS BEING A VERY INFLUENTIAL AND SIGNIFICANT HARD ROCK BAND, AND THEY ARE AT/NEAR THE TOP OF MANY MANY LISTS OF ALL TIME BEST ROCK BANDS.....SO THERE YOU HAVE IT, USING ALL OF THAT, I HAVE COME UP WITH THE CONCLUSION THAT AC/DC IS THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME. I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT IT WAS A FACT (yes, except for my signature, which I changed and was only meant to stir the pot....). IT IS MY OPINION, YET YOU GUYS ARE THE ONES WHO PICKED THIS ARGUMENT WITH ME, TRYING TO TELL ME WHY MY OPINION IS "WRONG." I ENJOY THE ARGUING, BUT DON'T GET MAD AT ME FOR JUSTIFYING MY OPINIONS, YOU GUYS ARE THE ONES WHO STARTED IT AND ARE TRYING TO CRITICIZE MY OPINION. I HAVE GIVEN SOLID REASONS WHY MY OPINION IS WHAT IT IS, SO, DEAL WITH IT.Also, yeah, I typed in CAPS, deal with it.
this cracks me up every time.
Also, I think Jack White is going to be a modern day Bob Dylan, so they are on my list and will probably move up over time.best guitarist of all time??? Angus Young, of course. Jimi Hendrix, while certainly capable of playing unique sounds which were SOMETIMES awesome, is overrated.Also, Hendrix's cover of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is a disgrace. The original version is a masterpiece, Hendrix messed it up BIG TIME. Douchebag.
Wow. This post says it all.Sorry KK, but your a Klown.Music can be a personal experience, so I might be able to give you a little benefit of the doubt.But everything you've said so far about anything music has been so utterly wrong its almost fantastic.Any Dylan fan would tell you that Jimi is the only one to actually nail the emotions of that song.Hendrix isn't overrated, LISTEN close to that guitar he plays, its absolutely unbelievable what he can do.ACDC greatest, most talented ever? White Stripes on an all time list???
This is the post that started the argument. So...is it MEEEEE that started it? No. Did I argue in response? Yes. But did I START the argument?? No.Thank you.

Iomi's legendary strings along with "I can only be clear when I sing" Ozzy's vocals paved the way for metal as we know it way back in the late 60's, (I think the first self-titled album was 1968).Los

Iomi's legendary strings along with "I can only be clear when I sing" Ozzy's vocals paved the way for metal as we know it way back in the late 60's, (I think the first self-titled album was 1968).Los
From your name I would 've thought Janes Addiction.Another great band.

I think what many people these days usually miss is that, while today's sounds may be louder, or faster, or more detailed, new artists also have far more technology and ideas at their disposal.What makes bands like the Beatles, Zep, Stones, Jimi, all great, is that they pioneered a sound, an attitude, a way to reach people that had never been done before. A friend of mine can't stand any music that is more that 10 years old, he only likes heavy metal and speed type music, but the fact is that the bands he likes were more than likely completely inspired by bands like The Ramones and The Kinks. So when people say that based on detail to music (which is mostly done in studio by a producer with a loop), or record sales, or worldwide popularity, make a band the "best", I don't find that fair. As pointed out, based on those ideas, 'bands' like N'Sync would be near the top. To people who are knowledgable about music, this would be laughable.Guys like Clapton or Jimi or Page, while some may say they had minor imperfections in their style, are the ones that made guys like Angus Young and Eddy VanHalen grab a guitar and go "man, I gotta try that."Since the topic of guitarists is out there, a few I mentioned above would easily be in the top 10 list.Also, if anyone has ever taken a listen to the soulful rock sound of Billy Ray, I'd say that he's pretty sick with a guitar.And by the way.... I started it, ops my bad lol

I think what many people these days usually miss is that, while today's sounds may be louder, or faster, or more detailed, new artists also have far more technology and ideas at their disposal.I agree with this 100%What makes bands like the Beatles, Zep, Stones, Jimi, all great, is that they pioneered a sound, an attitude, a way to reach people that had never been done before.  A friend of mine can't stand any music that is more that 10 years old, he only likes heavy metal and speed type music, but the fact is that the bands he likes were more than likely completely inspired by bands like The Ramones and The Kinks.  I agree 100%So when people say that based on detail to music (which is mostly done in studio by a producer with a loop), or record sales, or worldwide popularity, make a band the "best", I don't find that fair.  As pointed out, based on those ideas, 'bands' like N'Sync would be near the top.  To people who are knowledgable about music, this would be laughable.One correction...As pointed out BY KOWBOYKOOP...yeah, that's right, give me my credit. It's gotta go both ways people. Flame me only if you are willing to give me my credit.Guys like Clapton or Jimi or Page, while some may say they had minor imperfections in their style, are the ones that made guys like Angus Young and Eddy VanHalen grab a guitar and go "man, I gotta try that."I gotta slightly disagree here. Zeppelin started in '68. Clapton started in '63. Hendrix debuted in the mid 60s. Angus Young started with AC/DC in 1973, but played guitar for a good 8  years before that, so I wouldn't necessarily say that Zeppelin or Hendrix were too big of influences on him. Young himself statest that his two main influences were Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters.  This doesn't mean Hendrix or Zep weren't influential, of course they were, but probably moreso is slightly later years. Since the topic of guitarists is out there, a few I mentioned above would easily be in the top 10 list.Also, if anyone has ever taken a listen to the soulful rock sound of Billy Ray, I'd say that he's pretty sick with a guitar.And by the way.... I started it, ops my bad lol
Also, I don't mind you starting the argument, but apparently other people don't like all the bickering.
I gotta slightly disagree here. Zeppelin started in '68. Clapton started in '63. Hendrix debuted in the mid 60s. Angus Young started with AC/DC in 1973, but played guitar for a good 8 years before that, so I wouldn't necessarily say that Zeppelin or Hendrix were too big of influences on him. Young himself statest that his two main influences were Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters. This doesn't mean Hendrix or Zep weren't influential, of course they were, but probably moreso is slightly later years.  
Yea, for the sake of making a point I tried to stretch that one. I knew it would be close.Good catch, you got me, lol :wink:
I gotta slightly disagree here. Zeppelin started in '68. Clapton started in '63. Hendrix debuted in the mid 60s. Angus Young started with AC/DC in 1973, but played guitar for a good 8 years before that, so I wouldn't necessarily say that Zeppelin or Hendrix were too big of influences on him. Young himself statest that his two main influences were Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters. This doesn't mean Hendrix or Zep weren't influential, of course they were, but probably moreso is slightly later years.  
Yea, for the sake of making a point I tried to stretch that one. I knew it would be close.Good catch, you got me, lol :wink:
You made your point, the whole post was a good point. It was only a slight correction. I do know my stuff though.....
I think what many people these days usually miss is that, while today's sounds may be louder, or faster, or more detailed, new artists also have far more technology and ideas at their disposal.What makes bands like the Beatles, Zep, Stones, Jimi, all great, is that they pioneered a sound, an attitude, a way to reach people that had never been done before. A friend of mine can't stand any music that is more that 10 years old, he only likes heavy metal and speed type music, but the fact is that the bands he likes were more than likely completely inspired by bands like The Ramones and The Kinks. So when people say that based on detail to music (which is mostly done in studio by a producer with a loop), or record sales, or worldwide popularity, make a band the "best", I don't find that fair. As pointed out, based on those ideas, 'bands' like N'Sync would be near the top. To people who are knowledgable about music, this would be laughable.Guys like Clapton or Jimi or Page, while some may say they had minor imperfections in their style, are the ones that made guys like Angus Young and Eddy VanHalen grab a guitar and go "man, I gotta try that."Since the topic of guitarists is out there, a few I mentioned above would easily be in the top 10 list.Also, if anyone has ever taken a listen to the soulful rock sound of Billy Ray, I'd say that he's pretty sick with a guitar.And by the way.... I started it, ops my bad lol
nice post, well thought out.i feel like billy ray is realyl underated by most people. the guy was so great.
also, if it wasn't for chuck berry, none of the guitar greats (clapton, hendrix, etc.) would have picked up a guitar. the guy rules.
I ALREADY SAID THAT YOU MOTHER F*CK*R!!!!!!!!! I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm just kidding. Yes, you are right, he is awesome, too bad more people don't realize how influential he was.
Also, I think Jack White is going to be a modern day Bob Dylan, so they are on my list and will probably move up over time.best guitarist of all time???  Angus Young, of course.  Jimi Hendrix, while certainly capable of playing unique sounds which were SOMETIMES awesome, is overrated.Also, Hendrix's cover of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is a disgrace. The original version is a masterpiece, Hendrix messed it up BIG TIME. Douchebag.
Wow. This post says it all.Sorry KK, but your a Klown.Music can be a personal experience, so I might be able to give you a little benefit of the doubt.But everything you've said so far about anything music has been so utterly wrong its almost fantastic.Any Dylan fan would tell you that Jimi is the only one to actually nail the emotions of that song.Hendrix isn't overrated, LISTEN close to that guitar he plays, its absolutely unbelievable what he can do.ACDC greatest, most talented ever? White Stripes on an all time list???
This is the post that started the argument. So...is it MEEEEE that started it? No. Did I argue in response? Yes. But did I START the argument?? No.Thank you.
i agree with you, it's always someone else's fault KK!seriously though, some great artists mentioned along here. i'm admiring my muddy waters, bob dylan, eric clapton and led zeppelin posters right now.
Also, I think Jack White is going to be a modern day Bob Dylan, so they are on my list and will probably move up over time.best guitarist of all time???  Angus Young, of course.  Jimi Hendrix, while certainly capable of playing unique sounds which were SOMETIMES awesome, is overrated.Also, Hendrix's cover of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is a disgrace. The original version is a masterpiece, Hendrix messed it up BIG TIME. Douchebag.
i agree with you, it's always someone else's fault KK!seriously though, some great artists mentioned along here. i'm admiring my muddy waters, bob dylan, eric clapton and led zeppelin posters right now.
I don't think this argument is anyone's "fault." This is an internet forum, and we are arguing about the topic which the thread is about. So what??? Other people are complaining that all this arguing is stupid, all I said was that I didn't start it, then someone questioned me on that, so I showed them that I didn't start it. Doesn't mean the person who did start it should be blamed for anything.