best of these classic bands

I think the point Danny is trying to make is:Donovan McNabb is my favorite QBHowever...I'd have to say that Peyton Manning or Tom Brady are the best QB's.Like Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, not my #1, but I'd still say they were the best of all time.There is a difference between saying which is your favorite and being able to recognize which thing is superior.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point Danny is trying to make is:Donovan McNabb is my favorite QBHowever...I'd have to say that Peyton Manning or Tom Brady are the best QB's.Like Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, not my #1, but I'd still say they were the best of all time.There is a difference between saying which is your favorite and being able to recognize which thing is superior.
In football, there are hard stats and ways that teams/players can compete with each other with OBJECTIVE stats and wins/losses. Can't do that with bands. Only thing you can do with bands is measure how many albums they have sold and stuff like that, which is all just a matter of how many people like them. Bands don't compete directly against each other one-on-one, so your analogy is faulty. THERE IS NO WAY TO MEASURE OBJECTIVELY WHICH BAND IS SUPERIOR!!!!!! THAT IS THE POINT, THUS IT IS ALL A MATTER OF OPINION, AND MY OPINION IS THAT AC/DC IS THE BEST EVER, AND SINCE THAT IS ALL I CAN GO BY, I SAY THEY ARE THE BEST BAND EVER!

KowboyKoop, you just don't understand.Record sales and money made are good stats for musicians, but they need to be treated with complex acturarial science equations to make them all in todays money, or sales to a population equivalent to todays. Also, people who make a living out of critiquing music have opinions more valid than yours. I know this may come as some surprise, but not all opinions are as legitiment as others. You also seem to lack understanding of the term "bias." I blame the school system, and since you haven't blasted back saying that you have 20 siblings, i will venture to guess being an only child has only hampered your ability to understand such social complexities...

KowboyKoop, you just don't understand.Record sales and money made are good stats for musicians, but they need to be treated with complex acturarial science equations to make them all in todays money, or sales to a population equivalent to todays. Also, people who make a living out of critiquing music have opinions more valid than yours. I know this may come as some surprise, but not all opinions are as legitiment as others. You also seem to lack understanding of the term "bias." I blame the school system, and since you haven't blasted back saying that you have 20 siblings, i will venture to guess being an only child has only hampered your ability to understand such social complexities...
A. I have two brothers.B. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-...g_music_artistswell, here is a list of all time best selling artists. Since this is the way to measure who is "the best" apparently..I guess that means that Nana Maskouri is better than Led Zeppelin. That apparently is an undisputable fact, you know, because he/she? has sold more records then Zep.Michael Jackson is better than Led Zeppelin tooBACKSTREET BOYS ARE BETTER MUSICAL ARTISTS THAN BOB DYLAN, BECAUSE THEY HAVE SOLD MORE ALBUMS!!!!!!! Is that last fact true. ARE the Backstreet Boys undeniable better than Bob Dylan???? That is what all of you are saying......even if you hate their music, a bunch of preteen girls like them, so that means they are undeniably the best.You guys are morons. The best band ever IS ONLY a matter of opinion. There are WAY WAY WAY more factors than just album sales which ential how good a band is. The main factor for me is....whose music do I like to listen to the best. When I think about what bands I like, I don't care how many albums they have sold, I don't care how many top 40 hits they have had, I don't care what other people say about them, I care only about their music. I like AC/DC's music the best, thus I think they are the best. Simple logic.Also, I don't care about other people who are more qualified to critique music to me. When I listen to AC/DC, I could care less about whether one expert thinks Hendrix plays the guitar technically "better" and more flawless than Angus Young. I think about how much I like to listen to it. Thus, Angus > Hendrix.Seriously though, it is flattering that you guys all care so much about my opinions. Don't worry, I am more than happy to keep schooling you guys on all these subjects, so keep brining your lame crap about how music in not a matter of personal preference, but is instead something which can be put into an equation to determine which one is "the best."

i think we can all admit that the "best" band is pretty subjective.however, if you do want to get a general sense of who might be the best, thefollowing might be the best method-make a list of the 100 most popular bands ever, and maybe 200 bands thathave ranked highly in cumulative "best ever lists". pick a group of people that have listened extensively to at least 80-90 percent of the bands on this list. this will necessarily exclude most "normal" people in favor of the "experts", but i dont think you can realistically qualify to vote if you havent even listened to the candidates. then, have these people pick their top ten, with greater weight for a higher spot.this would result in probably the most accurate "best band" list reasonably possible, to the degree that there really is a "best" band.and just because you like the attention and arguments KK, i should add that Jimi hendrix, the Beatles, and multiple other bands would slaughter AC/DCusing this methodology.

kowboy koop, throughout this thread you have been saying a lot of things that go against popular opinion. thats ok, but you cant always hide behind the defense of it being just your opinion. saying that jimi hendrix isnt one of the best rock guitarist ever is completely insane. but i know what you are going to say "thats my opinion so whats wrong?" well, a lot of people have crazy opinions. doesnt mean they arnt wrong. some people firmly believe that the holocaust didnt happen. so are they not wrong because that is their opinion on the matter? NO, they are wrong, their opinions and beliefs are wrong.so i say once again your opinion on jimi hendrix is wrong

why is my ice cream reference worthless?? Don't just say it is, explain it if it is REALLY so. I like AC/DC's music the best, so I say they are the best. I like strawberry ice cream the best, so I say it is the best. More people may like chocolate ice cream, but that doesn't mean thinking strawberry ice cream is the best is "flawed." It may be a proven fact that people who prefer chocolate ice cream live 1 year longer than people who prefer strawberry. Doesn't mean thinking strawberry is the best is "flawed." More people may like the Beatles than AC/DC, doesn't mean thinking AC/DC is the best is "flawed." To ME, the only person I am concerned with, AC/DC is the best. To say I am wrong b/c you have some other opinion is one thing, but to say that line of thinking is just retarded. I like them the best, so I think they are the best....not too hard to understand.
you like them the best, so you think they are the best. do you really think that is logical? i think one of the benefits of no longer being monkeys is that we gained the ability to think objectively. part of that is not necessarily thinking that what you like the best is necessarily the best. to explore whether something is the best, you should consider what being "the best" entails, and then whether your favourite has these attributes to a greater degree than other options.Danielp.s. over/under on the number of siblings KK has... i'll set it at 0.5, and i dare anyone to take the over :wink:
yes, I think it is perfectly logical to say that since I, KOWBOYKOOP, like to listen that AC/DC is the best, that I, KOWBOYKOOP, think AC/DC is the greatest ever. Please, tell me the SINGLE WAY TO DETERMINE THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME. MOST ALBUM SALES????? MOST TOP 40 HITS??? A POLL IN ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE??? A MEASURE OF THEIR INFLUENCE ON ROCK 'N' ROLL????? AND HOW WOULD YOU MEASURE THEIR INFLUENCE BY A STANDARD MEASUREMENT???? YOU COULDN'T, COULD YOU, I GUESS THERE IS NO WAY TO SIGNLY DETERMINE THE BEST BAND OF ALL TIME. I guess we have to rely on people's opinion, and thus, my opinion is that AC/DC is the best.However, let's look at some of the factors that some might feel makes some band "the best." A. They are pretty high up on the list of total album sales, and their album Back in Black is one of the single highest selling albums OF ALL TIME!!!B. In lists of greatest rock bands ever, AC/DC is regularly near the top , usually in the Top 10. I have seen them #1 in some magazines, and usually AT LEAST in the Top 20.C. Don't say they aren't influential, they are regularly attributed with being one of the pioneers of rock's music transition to metal. The 'Back in Black' album is often referred to as the Bible for Metal music's beginnngs. (Note: I am not saying AC/DC is metal, they are not, but AC/DC is often referred to by metal fans/artists as one of the bands that created a path towards metal D. How about longevity??? They started in 1973, lost a lead singer, but still perservered and still are together today, and there is rumors of another album and tour to come (rumors, who knows.) Well, there you have it, in many of the so-called factors that determine "the best," and AC/DC ranks highly in all of them. It isn't like I am saying Scissor Sisters is the greatest band of all time. It is AC/DC, they are hard rock legends. I like their music the best, they have sold A TON of albums worldwide, they are regularly regarded by many others as ONE of the top rock bands of all time, they are recognized by many as ONE of the more influential hard rock bands, and most important to me, I love listening to their music the most....conclusion....they are the greatest band of all time.....if you don't like it, at least come up with something better than "that way of thinking is illogical....by your way of thinking, everyone would agree on one single band as the 'best' and noone would ever be allowed to disagree for fear of being "illogical." How communist of you. Anyways, I will always say AC/DC is the greatest band of all time, I do hope you realize that there is zero chance of anything changing my mind. Seriously
this is partially responding to both of your posts, but i have nothing groundbreaking to say, so it should be short.1 - you have two brothers. i stand corrected.2 - your first paragraph follows your usual pattern of using true premises and coming to an illogical conclusion.you are correct, there is no way of determining "signly" the best band of all time. There are however many options, such as record sales (one of MANY options). There being no certain way does not mean you should use your opinion. Sorry it just doesn't.Since there is no single way, there is no common agreement on who the best band is (otherwise this would be a pretty short thread). Since there are many things to consider, many people have presented opinions. These opinions are based on aspects of the band that might make them superior to all others in a general sense, not just the opinions on who they like the best.AC/DC is a great rock band. I really doubt you can think of any general measure where they would rank ahead of both the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles, never mind any sort of group of measures that might make them the absolute best.As for the bold, I am sorry you are not susceptible to logic, dispensed at a high-school level. Let me know how that works out for you.Daniel
kowboy koop, throughout this thread you have been saying a lot of things that go against popular opinion. thats ok, but you cant always hide behind the defense of it being just your opinion. saying that jimi hendrix isnt one of the best rock guitarist ever is completely insane. but i know what you are going to say "thats my opinion so whats wrong?" well, a lot of people have crazy opinions. doesnt mean they arnt wrong. some people firmly believe that the holocaust didnt happen. so are they not wrong because that is their opinion on the matter? NO, they are wrong, their opinions and beliefs are wrong.so i say once again your opinion on jimi hendrix is wrong
As a history major in college, I am HIGHLY offended about how ridiculous wrong your analogy is. Jimi Hendrix being the greatest guitarist of all time is NOT a historically documented event/fact. The Holocaust IS. It happened. There is undeniable proof. Go to a concentration camp and see for yourself. That is not a matter of opinion. Making that analogy is the absolute worst argument you could have possibly made and you are only proving how right I am.
why is my ice cream reference worthless?? Don't just say it is, explain it if it is REALLY so. I like AC/DC's music the best, so I say they are the best. I like strawberry ice cream the best, so I say it is the best. More people may like chocolate ice cream, but that doesn't mean thinking strawberry ice cream is the best is "flawed." It may be a proven fact that people who prefer chocolate ice cream live 1 year longer than people who prefer strawberry. Doesn't mean thinking strawberry is the best is "flawed." More people may like the Beatles than AC/DC, doesn't mean thinking AC/DC is the best is "flawed." To ME, the only person I am concerned with, AC/DC is the best. To say I am wrong b/c you have some other opinion is one thing, but to say that line of thinking is just retarded. I like them the best, so I think they are the best....not too hard to understand.
you like them the best, so you think they are the best. do you really think that is logical? i think one of the benefits of no longer being monkeys is that we gained the ability to think objectively. part of that is not necessarily thinking that what you like the best is necessarily the best. to explore whether something is the best, you should consider what being "the best" entails, and then whether your favourite has these attributes to a greater degree than other options.Danielp.s. over/under on the number of siblings KK has... i'll set it at 0.5, and i dare anyone to take the over :wink:
yes, I think it is perfectly logical to say that since I, KOWBOYKOOP, like to listen that AC/DC is the best, that I, KOWBOYKOOP, think AC/DC is the greatest ever. Please, tell me the SINGLE WAY TO DETERMINE THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME. MOST ALBUM SALES????? MOST TOP 40 HITS??? A POLL IN ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE??? A MEASURE OF THEIR INFLUENCE ON ROCK 'N' ROLL????? AND HOW WOULD YOU MEASURE THEIR INFLUENCE BY A STANDARD MEASUREMENT???? YOU COULDN'T, COULD YOU, I GUESS THERE IS NO WAY TO SIGNLY DETERMINE THE BEST BAND OF ALL TIME. I guess we have to rely on people's opinion, and thus, my opinion is that AC/DC is the best.However, let's look at some of the factors that some might feel makes some band "the best." A. They are pretty high up on the list of total album sales, and their album Back in Black is one of the single highest selling albums OF ALL TIME!!!B. In lists of greatest rock bands ever, AC/DC is regularly near the top , usually in the Top 10. I have seen them #1 in some magazines, and usually AT LEAST in the Top 20.C. Don't say they aren't influential, they are regularly attributed with being one of the pioneers of rock's music transition to metal. The 'Back in Black' album is often referred to as the Bible for Metal music's beginnngs. (Note: I am not saying AC/DC is metal, they are not, but AC/DC is often referred to by metal fans/artists as one of the bands that created a path towards metal D. How about longevity??? They started in 1973, lost a lead singer, but still perservered and still are together today, and there is rumors of another album and tour to come (rumors, who knows.) Well, there you have it, in many of the so-called factors that determine "the best," and AC/DC ranks highly in all of them. It isn't like I am saying Scissor Sisters is the greatest band of all time. It is AC/DC, they are hard rock legends. I like their music the best, they have sold A TON of albums worldwide, they are regularly regarded by many others as ONE of the top rock bands of all time, they are recognized by many as ONE of the more influential hard rock bands, and most important to me, I love listening to their music the most....conclusion....they are the greatest band of all time.....if you don't like it, at least come up with something better than "that way of thinking is illogical....by your way of thinking, everyone would agree on one single band as the 'best' and noone would ever be allowed to disagree for fear of being "illogical." How communist of you. Anyways, I will always say AC/DC is the greatest band of all time, I do hope you realize that there is zero chance of anything changing my mind. Seriously
this is partially responding to both of your posts, but i have nothing groundbreaking to say, so it should be short.1 - you have two brothers. i stand corrected.That's right.2 - your first paragraph follows your usual pattern of using true premises and coming to an illogical conclusion.you are correct, there is no way of determining "signly" the best band of all time. There are however many options, such as record sales (one of MANY options). There being no certain way does not mean you should use your opinion. Sorry it just doesn't.My opinion is really the only thing that matters to me and my opinions. However, I DID take many of these factors/charactheristics and showed that AC/DC ranked pretty highly in ALL of them....huh, funny you ignored that I did that and instead just made the same point over again as if I didn't "get" it. Since there is no single way, there is no common agreement on who the best band is (otherwise this would be a pretty short thread). Since there are many things to consider, many people have presented opinions. These opinions are based on aspects of the band that might make them superior to all others in a general sense, not just the opinions on who they like the best.Once again, my musical taste is the most important to me, but I showed that AC/DC ranks highly in all the FACTORS which you guys deem necessary. No, they aren't the highest in any of them, but they are up there and I like their music the best, so I say they are the best.AC/DC is a great rock band. I really doubt you can think of any general measure where they would rank ahead of both the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles, never mind any sort of group of measures that might make them the absolute best.As for the bold, I am sorry you are not susceptible to logic, dispensed at a high-school level. Let me know how that works out for you.Also, by your reasoning, you are saying that the Backstreet Boys are "better" than Bob Dylan. Is this really true??? Well, they have sold more albums, and don't say they aren't influential to music, they started a pretty big "boy band" trend and they have a pretty hardcore pre-teen girl following. I bet if you asked many of them they would say Backstreet Boys are their favorite more so than Bob Dylan. Also, they have ALOT of "hits." So, I guess that means that YOU CAN'T DENY THAT THE BACKSTREET BOYS ARE BETTER THAN BOB DYLAN. Wow, you think the Backstreet Boys are better than Bob Dylan...ahahhahahahhahahaa, oh man, your taste in music is HORRIBLE.Daniel
As a history major in college, I am HIGHLY offended about how ridiculous wrong your analogy is. Jimi Hendrix being the greatest guitarist of all time is NOT a historically documented event/fact. The Holocaust IS. It happened. There is undeniable proof. Go to a concentration camp and see for yourself. That is not a matter of opinion. Making that analogy is the absolute worst argument you could have possibly made and you are only proving how right I am.
and as a music major in college i am HIGHLY offended about your ridiculous opinion on jimi hendrix.settle down its just an analogy. i do not believe that the holocaust did not exist. you keep saying how its just your opinion, i showed you how opinions can be wrong. alright? let me say it again, my point is that opinions can be wrong, just like yours is.
and as a music major in college i am HIGHLY offended about your ridiculous opinion on jimi hendrix.settle down its just an analogy. i do not believe that the holocaust did not exist. you keep saying how its just your opinion, i showed you how opinions can be wrong. alright? let me say it again, my point is that opinions can be wrong, just like yours is.
Your analogy is blatantly wrong b/c the belief by some that the Holocaust didn't happen IS NOT an opinion. THE HOLOCAUST IS A DOCUMENTED, HISTORICAL, PROVABLE BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT FACT. Jimi Hendrix being the best guitarist is none of these. There is no way to document for a solid fact that ANYONE is the best guitarist of all time. I know YOU don't believe that about the holocaust, but to compare these two situations is ridiculously wrong. TRUE opinions cannot be wrong. They are opinions. If an "opinion" is wrong, then it isn't really an opinion, it is an incorrect statement because you are saying something that is documented factually as otherwise. Example:"The beatles are not the greatest band ever.They are overrated." -Opinion. There is no way to prove which band is the greatest ever. It is not something which can be factually documented."Pearl Harbor didn't happen. It is just an excuse the U.S. made up to attack Japan." NOT AN OPINION. IT IS A MISSTATEMENT. Pearl Harbor occured and it is documenten and provable beyond a shadow of a doubt. Thus, believing that it didn't happen is NOT an opinion.
koop, i dont want to split hairs about different words. wait, arnt those opinions that you have labeled as facts in your sig?
Signatures don't count, it is CLEARLY meant just to stir the pot a little bit by calling them facts. No, they are not facts, they are opinions. They are "facts" only in my head. I'll change it.
KowboyKoop, you have no objectivity, and you forgot to use complex acturarial science equations on the bsb record sales versus other bands.
Oh, I did. That's too bad. AC/DC IS THE GREATEST BAND EVER!
koop, i dont want to split hairs about different words. wait, arnt those opinions that you have labeled as facts in your sig?
Signatures don't count, it is CLEARLY meant just to stir the pot a little bit by calling them facts. No, they are not facts, they are opinions. They are "facts" only in my head. I'll change it.
KowboyKoop:"No, they aren't the highest in any of them, but they are up there and I like their music the best, so I say they are the best. "Your first statement and second statement are contradictory. Obviously you understand what I've been trying to explain, since you state it in the bolded section, and yet you argue otherwise. This is proof that you are simply argumentative and there is no reason to bother reasoning with you, since a reasoned conclusion is not your goal.I will therefore cease and desist.But I'm sure I was "OWNED" right?Daniel

talk about beating a dead horse. KK likes AC/DC more than hendrix and the beatles. big deal. i like bad brains better than all those bands. does that mean that i know nothing about music? of course not. KK has stated that he respects boththe beatles' and hendrix's contributions to music. at the same time it's still ok to think that AC/DC is better both those groups because it is his opinion. he likes AC/DC the best, get over it.

talk about beating a dead horse. KK likes AC/DC more than hendrix and the beatles. big deal. i like bad brains better than all those bands. does that mean that i know nothing about music? of course not. KK has stated that he respects boththe beatles' and hendrix's contributions to music. at the same time it's still ok to think that AC/DC is better both those groups because it is his opinion.  he likes AC/DC the best, get over it.
ZING!!!!!!
KowboyKoop:"No, they aren't the highest in any of them, but they are up there and I like their music the best, so I say they are the best. "Your first statement and second statement are contradictory. Obviously you understand what I've been trying to explain, since you state it in the bolded section, and yet you argue otherwise. This is proof that you are simply argumentative and there is no reason to bother reasoning with you, since a reasoned conclusion is not your goal.I will therefore cease and desist.But I'm sure I was "OWNED" right?Daniel
I HAVE ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT IT IS MY OPINION THAT AC/DC IS THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME. THIS ENTIRE TIME, I HAVE SAID THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO MEASURE STATISTICALLY OR IN ANY OTHER WAY WHAT BAND IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME. THUS, IT IS ONLY AN OPINION. ANYONE WHO SAYS ANY BAND IS THE GREATEST IS ONLY STATING AN OPINION, THERE IS NO WAY TO FACTUALIZE IT!!!!!!!! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE SAID THE ENTIRE TIME, THE WHOLE THREAD, AND ALL THE OTHER POSTS!!! SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THE ONE DEFINITIVE EQUATION WHICH TAKES INTO ACCOUNT EVERY SINGLE FACTOR IMAGINABLE AND COMPUTES WHICH BAND IS, IN FACT, THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANYONE TO EVER SAY OTHERWISE. UNTIL THIS HAPPENS, WHICH IT NEVER WILL B/C IT IS IMPOSSIBLE, A STATEMENT OF WHICH BAND IS "THE BEST/GREATEST" WILL ALWAYS BE A MATTER OF OPINION. I LIKE AC/DC'S MUSIC THE BEST, AND THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR, AND THEY HAVE OUTSOLD 99.9 PERCENT ON BANDS IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC, AND THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR 33 YEARS, AND THEY ARE WIDELY REGARDED AS BEING A VERY INFLUENTIAL AND SIGNIFICANT HARD ROCK BAND, AND THEY ARE AT/NEAR THE TOP OF MANY MANY LISTS OF ALL TIME BEST ROCK BANDS.....SO THERE YOU HAVE IT, USING ALL OF THAT, I HAVE COME UP WITH THE CONCLUSION THAT AC/DC IS THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME. I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT IT WAS A FACT (yes, except for my signature, which I changed and was only meant to stir the pot....). IT IS MY OPINION, YET YOU GUYS ARE THE ONES WHO PICKED THIS ARGUMENT WITH ME, TRYING TO TELL ME WHY MY OPINION IS "WRONG." I ENJOY THE ARGUING, BUT DON'T GET MAD AT ME FOR JUSTIFYING MY OPINIONS, YOU GUYS ARE THE ONES WHO STARTED IT AND ARE TRYING TO CRITICIZE MY OPINION. I HAVE GIVEN SOLID REASONS WHY MY OPINION IS WHAT IT IS, SO, DEAL WITH IT.Also, yeah, I typed in CAPS, deal with it.