phil ivey at the big game

Supposidly ( not 100% sure ) he made 11-13 million. People say the money fluctuates between them and there is no real winner, thats a load of crap! If the best 9 players are playing...then 678 and 9 arent as good as 1,2,3,4 or 5....Barry Greenstein answered a question before where someone asked does the money just go back and forth, and thats how he answered it. Sorry, I got off topic of your original question, lol.

I don't think anyone other than Phil knows exactly what Phil is making. Some of the other big game players probably have an idea, since they know what they're making, and they know that Phil is doing better (at least that appears to be the consensus). The IRS might know, but then again, they might not. So any estimates you make on the web are pretty unreliable. That said, my opinion is that the long-term players (Ivey, Greenstein, Reese) have to be beating the game for at least 3/4 BB per hour or something like that. As I understand it, the bankroll math won't work out properly if their win rate is too low (if you hold variance constant, bankroll size and win rate are inversely proportional--for other math geeks). Of course, I can't swear by this analysis - I'm no expert. That applies to anyone making their living playing the big game. The players who have other sources of income large enough to fund their bankroll or cover losses could be making smaller amounts or even losing (obviously someone has to lose).

That said, my opinion is that the long-term players (Ivey, Greenstein, Reese) have to be beating the game for at least 3/4 BB per hour or something like that. As I understand it, the bankroll math won't work out properly if their win rate is too low (if you hold variance constant, bankroll size and win rate are inversely proportional--for other math geeks). Of course, I can't swear by this analysis - I'm no expert..
They call it the "big" game for a reason. At 4K/8K, even if you are making 1BB/hour, that is more profitable than crushing a 600/1200 game for 3BB/hour.The bankroll math is that you need a .larger bankroll if you have a lower win rate. Otherwise, the normal fluctuations mean that your inevitable losing streak (and no player ends up with profit every single day in a row) will bust you.

Yeah, I guess it goes without saying that you need a bigger bankroll with a smaller win rate. The one part I'm not sure about is that according to all the formulas I've seen, it's just a pure inverse proportion (half the win rate = double the bankroll). But that can't be exactly how it works: a break-even player does not need an infinite bankroll.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest XXEddie
Huck Seed would dominate the big game if he played in it but the other guys are scared of him.
:club::D :lol:you forgot the (SW)

well Greenstein on his site when analizing Gus Hansen said that maybe he moved up to the big game too quickly. I think this is blatenly telling us that he losses in the big game

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of a newbie at poker, so I don't know much, but how do the players at the big game make a living? Are they really drawing enough (if any) outside people to it to make it profitable?It just doesn't make sense to me that they could all sit down at the same table day after day and make a living doing it.

The money fluctuates between all of the players in the game, but the occasional supplier comes in and drops a few hundred thousand into the rotation every once in awhile.Say Doyle, Chip, Barry, Phil, and Chau are sharing 20 million, but Sam Farha comes to town and has a bad trip, losing 20 million. Now Doyle, Chip, Barry, Phil, and Chau are sharing 40 million amongst them.The numbers and names are off a lot, but you get the point. The money circulates among the regular players while outsiders come in and boost the economy of table one.Plus, those guys are in tournaments and have endorsements, etc., for outside money.