early tournament, unimproved ak

Early in a tournament, everybody with fairly equal stacks.I was in the big blind with AKo and had been playing tight (i.e. hadn't taken a hand to showdown or scooped a pot). Two limpers, I raised about 4x and got one caller. Flop is QJx. I make a continuation bet of about half the pot and my opponent thinks for a while and calls. Turn is a blank, no flush draws. I fire again, upping it to about 3/4 of the pot. Again my opponent thinks for a while and calls.River is another blank, putting a runner-runner straight out there, but I'm not worried about it. I bet once again, this time about the size of the pot. This time my opponent thinks even longer and finally makes the call and turns over KJ.Was I too aggressive with this? My opponent was making (seemingly) crying calls each time and I thought I could move him off it. Maybe OK on the flop, but a check on the turn and river? Also, did my opponent play this OK?

This is why I don't like to raise with AK from the big blind. If you miss the flop, you're stranded.After he calls your flop bet, you should put on the brakes. Don't bet on the turn.After he calls your turn bet, you should ABSOLUTELY NOT BET ON THE RIVER! Harrington calls these dark tunnel bluffs I believe. He's got something and he's going to see it to the end.

Yeah, I definitely felt like I overplayed it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't thinking it was a mistake just because of the result.But on the other hand, would you call down with KJ when someone is betting into you each street? I think I would raise against the continuation bet on the flop to try to get a better idea of where I stand.

But on the other hand, would you call down with KJ when someone is betting into you each street?
Probably not, and I wouldn't call your preflop raise either.

Depending on the buy in amount your opponent's play is pretty standard. I would limp with your hand from the blind making it easier to get away from if you don't hit the flop.After the call on the flop I slow down because it's likely he hit something on the flop and puts you on something like AK or a medium PP. No reason for him to fold on turn or river with no real threat to his pair if that's the read he has. BTW IMO I think if you check the turn you probably get a free card on the river because he a little afraid he is beat and wouldn't play back at you in this situation.

Was I too aggressive with this? My opponent was making (seemingly) crying calls each time and I thought I could move him off it. Maybe OK on the flop, but a check on the turn and river? Also, did my opponent play this OK?
They were crying calls.I bet the flop and turn, but not the river.What you have done here is paid for information...use it wisely.You found yourself an opponent who calls pf raises with KJ, calls a pair of jacks to the pf raiser with an overcard on board, and does so until the river.He never once uses his position to find out where he's at (I'd have raised the flop to find out if my Jack was any good).I think his play is terrible - too loose, too passive...he gave you plenty of opportunity to hit an Ace or Ten, and he never made an effort to find out if his Jack was good.CAVEAT: I am assuming he is not skilled enough to put you on AK - even if he did, his slow play here is questionable.You found yourself a calling station to your left - this is the information you bought - forget you lost the hand and use the new knowledge to your advantage.