when should you call a bet in the small blind?

HiI dont usually understand when you should make up the big blind. Its not only half a bet to call so that gives real good odds to call with a lot of marginal hands. However with a hand like Q-2 even if my percentage odds of winning the hand are good enough that i should call half a bet, playing it costs me more than i make putting chips into a pot where i flop a queen but have the worst hand still.can anyone suggest what type of hand is usually good enough to make up the small blind?

In early position I like to be playing the top 10 hands:Ace Ace (AA) King King (KK) Queen Queen (QQ) Ace King suited (AKs) Ace Queen suited (AQs) Jack Jack (JJ) King Queen suited (KQs) Ace Jack suited (AJs) King Jack suited (KJs) Ace King offsuit (AKo)Stay away from the others, they actually get you into trouble when you're first to act.

It really depends on alot of things. How many limpers are there already? If no limpers or only one or two, is the BB aggressive? There are many more questions.But, i will try and answer the questions under a few different situations.If there are many limpers, 3 or 4 or more....then im going to limp, with any suited connector, any pair below 9's, high suited cards (Kxs, Qxs, Axs, Jxs, etc), and high connectors (KQ, QJ, J10, etc) But im not going to bother with hands such as Q2, K2, 93...etc, as even if you hit top pair, you still done know where you stand, and can get yourself in alot of trouble. With these hands, you want a hand that you can see a cheap flop with, and either hit a monster or get out of there, you dont want to be involved in maybe hands. If there are no limpers, and its down to you and the BB, then alot of the times im raising. Especially if its a weak/tight player in the BB, you want to pick up the free money sitting there in the BB, without having too much at risk. Also, dont be afraid of reraising, he he raises you, because alot of the time, he is just trying to push back, but also, give over your SB once in a while, dont do it every single time.If there are 1 or 2 limpers, than its probably going to be the same as 2 or 3, except my calling standards are down a bit. Hope that helps.

I sometimes find that by folding your Small Blind you contribute to the view that you are a strong player who plays only strong hands. This is beneficial only if you usually raise pre-flop and rarely limp.This way, if you shoot up a raise in position, you can usually steal a few pots.

I think it depnds on a lot of things:1. How many players are in before you?2. Are they suited/connected and if you flop four to a flush or open ended straight, what cards can beat you and how much you are willing to spend to see the rest?3. What is your table image?4. How much will lsoing the 1/2 bet hurt you if you call?5. If its a tourney: how early is it?6. Do you defend your blinds all of the time? If you do this people may pick up on it and limp in some to get you to invest more money?After all that, I suggest you just mix it up unless you want the tight player image. If you are wanting the tight strong player image then fold more often than calling with it. Hope that helps a little...but its just my opinion.

also something else that is very important to consider is how much of your stack are you putting in. if you are in the small blind with 500 chips and the blinds are 50/100 you don't want to be putting 10% of your stack in with a small suited connector. In my opinion save your chips for a push.

I sometimes find that by folding your Small Blind you contribute to the view that you are a strong player who plays only strong hands.  This is beneficial only if you usually raise pre-flop and rarely limp.This way, if you shoot up a raise in position, you can usually steal a few pots.
I assume the original post was regarding when its folded around to the sb. Should you complete, or just fold? I agree with this post. I almost always fold (unless I actually have a hand of course) to further a tight image. Then I can steal the blinds much easier. (noboby believes a sb raise, so raising to steal the bb isn't as easy from that position)Mark