Hi. I had A J o.I have $100Villain has $100I'm in EP. I raise to $4 preflop2 callersFlop: A T Q rainbow pot=$13I bet $8MP foldsVillain callsTurn: X (can't remember)I bet $15villain raises to $35 (my stats on villain show he isn't known to raise draws)I callRiver: TI checkVillain checksQuestion is. If I have AJ , do I like this flop or not ? I have 4 outs to the nuts but I still have only a pair. Do I want to play this conservatively or aggressive ? I think maybe I should have bet $8 on flop and then check the turn and then if nothing bad hits river, make another $15 bet or something but results might be very similar to this ? How do you think I played it ?

I would play it slow/carefully. It's not a pretty flop and there aren't many hands that are gonna pay you off for having a better hand. Also there aren't a hole lot of scare cards, they already hit.

My question is what can the villian raise with on the turn that you can beat? If your stats show he isnt known to raise with draws, then any holding he would most probably have is crushing you right now. AK, AQ, AT, KJ, AA, QQ, TT, QT all beat you. The only hands he could conceivably have that you win against are KQ, Arag, QJ, or KT. This doesnt look very promising and I would have folded on the turn to the raise.

Lately, I've been playing a lot of poker. Like 40 hours a week. I'm finding myself making a lot of loose calls at times like the call on the turn. I looked at his stats and saw that he was a very conservative post flop player but I still called. What the hell is wrong with me ?

Lately, I've been playing a lot of poker. Like 40 hours a week. I'm finding myself making a lot of loose calls at times like the call on the turn. I looked at his stats and saw that he was a very conservative post flop player but I still called. What the hell is wrong with me ?
Hey, at least you figured out the problem. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. The best thing you can do is recognize it and try not to do it again.

I dunno... top pair with good kicker is a great hand.. I take peoples money that have that all the time :-) if you read the villian to not be a bluffer why would you continue to bet so hard /w top pair.. he could easily have flopped the str8 or 2pr or trips (any of which he could have called your 3 bet preflop raise with)after the $8 bet, with your read on him, I would have checked the turn to see what he did... if he bet big I would fold... if he bet small I would callhim calling the flop bet of just over half the pot pretty much would tell me he waould call the $15 bet on the turn at under half the pot.. did you want the call?

Yeah, I wanted the call because I thought I was ahead. More often than not, villain has a K or a J and is trying to a hit that gutshot. Why ? I don't know because a 4 card straight board is unlikely to get paid off but when do donks make sense ? I thought he was on a straight draw to be honest so I bet more on the turn thinking that I was still ahead. Villain showed K J for a flopped straight.

Can I just say again how bad a hand AJ is unless its a great flop for you? AJ from early POS is just asking for trouble and its best to play a small pot with it...personally if I had raised with AJ and the board came aq10, i'd decide to play a small pot if possible...i'd check the flop and see what he does...if he makes a smallish bet obviously you call...if he makes a larger bet you can decide how much money you want to lose with AJ here.AJ sucks people.

I play .50-1 NL and 1-2 NL on stars, 5-8 tables at a time, and I hardly ever play AJ...i hate it with a passion...if the first 3 or 4 people fold I'll raise AJ depending on who's left, my image, my stack size (intimidation factor)...its just such a bad hand. If its suited I'll raise it from early position sometimes.When I raise AJ i'm hoping beyond hope to just win the blinds.

You play 5 tables of NL ? How the hell do you do that ? Every time someone bets I have to look up their stats and wonder what they are doing ? How do you get around this ? I mainly play 1 table of .50/1 NL and sometimes 2 tables if I'm card dead but no more than 2 . Do you make more money 5 tabling than 1 or 2 tabling ? If so, are you sure ?

You play 5 tables of NL ?    How the hell do you do that ?   Every time someone bets I have to look up their stats and wonder what they are doing ?    How do you get around this ?     I mainly play  1 table of .50/1 NL and sometimes 2 tables if I'm card dead but no more than 2 .  Do you make more money 5 tabling than 1 or 2 tabling ?   If so, are you sure ?
Its not hard to manage at all. This morning I played 8 tables for about an hour and it was pretty easy actually, first time I had tried playing 8. I wouldn't do this playing 1-2, but for .50-1 its not too bad. I put one table on the four corners of my screen and then one in the middle when i'm playing 5 tables...they overlap a tad, but you can tell when you have been given cards at a table and you can quickly flip over to the table and normally you are going to click on the fold button anyhow. I usually play at least 1000 hands a day. It takes time to get up to 5 plus tables but after awhile its not so hard. When you do it day after day after day its not a big deal at all. I personally find I play much better playing at least 5 tables as I don't get bored and start playing marginal hands to keep myself interested. I won about 155 bucks today in maybe 1.5 hours of playing with the following stats.... During current Hold'em session you were dealt 749 hands and saw flop: - 51 out of 87 times while in big blind (58%) - 15 out of 89 times while in small blind (16%) - 62 out of 573 times in other positions (10%) - a total of 128 out of 749 (17%) Pots won at showdown - 22 of 34 (64%) Pots won without showdown - 35
Those of you giving advice.   Do you play NL ?   And if so what limits ?   If you do play .50/1 NL or higher, do you honestly fold AJ in EP ?    I never do unless there is a raise or re-raise.
I play .50/1 or 1/2 NL 4 tables at several sitesI dont fold AJ pf unless it is raised big, but I know when not to overbet top pair, and when to cut it loose... in fact I think my biggest increase in playing skill, and winnings came from figuring out that top pair isnt a great hand, and when to drop it.. took me a lot of beats to learn it... loosing AJ that pairs the A to AQ by kicker really pisses me off in your first post you said "villian isnt known to raise draws" when he raises you big he is saying "I am not on a draw, I got you beat" and you still call?...it was just a bad call.. fortunately that is how you learn and improve