4-4 against q-q

The worst bad beat I ever delivered went like this:I had just run my short stack up to average in a 55 person freezeout. We're down to three tables, I and I'm dealt 4-4 UTG+1. The table is pretty passive, so I call. Two more limp, and the button min-raises. I have about five times his raise left, so I decide if I push I can A) narrow the field, B) possibly scare him off a better hand, due to my check raise. Well he calls with pocket queens and my fours shrink up. I start getting my stuff ready to leave.Flop: 7-6-KYuck.Turn: 7-6-K-(5)Hmmm, open ended straight draw; any 3, 4, or 8...River: 7-6-K-(5) and.... the glorious (3), filling in my straight. That gave me a pretty big stack, and I ended up running over the rest of the competition and winning the tournament.I did some calculations later...Roughly 5-1 before the flop, and 9-1 after. brutal for that guy...

Guest XXEddie

I really dont think you shoulda called a 4 or 5 an "out" A 4 puts four to a str8 on board and if a five comes youll have the "ass" end of the str8, the 3 was te only "real" out there

I really dont think you shoulda called a 4 or 5 an "out" A 4 puts four to a str8 on board and if a five comes youll have the "ass" end of the str8, the 3 was te only "real" out there
He didn't call the 5 an out, he said he had the 3, 8, or 4. And it was allin preflop. He knew what it took to win. So while a 4 woulda put 4 to a straight on the board he knew that QQ wouldn't have a straight there.

Ummm, Ummm....He was all in. They flipped them up. He know what does and doesn't give him the best hand. The ignorant end of the straight even with 4 on the board is fine when you know your one opponent doesn't have the high card. This didn't get played out.

wow.... Eddie do you player poker? you know when people are all-in their hands are flipped up? obviously he wasn't afraid of Q-Q making a straight if he hit his 4 on that board.

That was a pretty bad all in from you to begin with anyway, if there are a number of callers and someone then raises the minimal, it would raise some alarms in my head, why would someone raise the minimum with 3 limpers in the pot unless he had a pretty strong hand and wanted some action, i wouldnt go all in over the top of this guy with such a weak hand, especially when there are players still to act after you.Anyway guess you won in the end! how did you finish in the tourney?

I agree, it wasn't a great spot to push. I thought that I could make the rest of the limpers lay down their hands, isolating the preflop min-raiser. He was min. raising every hand. It wasn't a "I want action raise." It was his standard. If he had overcards, I'd be happy with my slight edge to win the pot. Just so happened he had the big pair. I ended up winning the tournament, so it worked out...