home tournament starting chip count

I am running a home tournament and am wondering what the starting chip count should be. I am thinking of starting everyone with 1000 in chips. Blinds would start at 25-25 and go up every 30 minutes. Should the starting chip count be higher. I am looking to get done in about 5 hours.ThanksOrville

Check out the Tourney forum under strategy. There is a thread stickied at the top with a tourney structure.

Check out the Tourney forum under strategy. There is a thread stickied at the top with a tourney structure.
how many players??
15-20 playersCheck out the Tourney forum under strategy. There is a thread stickied at the top with a tourney structure.Thanks for the tip I forget to check that out.Orville

Rule 1: Never start players with less than 50BB.Rule 2: Take the total chips in play, divide by two to get to the average stack at the end. Divide this by ten to get your "drop dead" blinds. When the blinds reach this level, your tournament will end in true Poker Superstars II fashion.Rule 3: Make your blinds as linear as you can stand, getting from Rule 1 and Rule 2. Be sure to consider your chip denominations and when you color up chips.Rule 4: Always put your "drop dead" level at the end of your designed length. If you want it to last five hours, put "drop dead" at thend of the fifth hour. Then include the next three levels, just in case.As you get to know your players, feel free to tweak it if they are excessively tight or loose. You want to keep the blinds linear so people don't feel rushed, and give everyone a lot of play. Of course, the average stack starts increasing exponientially toward the end, so your blinds have to get a little nonlinear. Let your colorups motivate that. But always think through your blinds. A bad blind structure will ruin ANY tournament.

Rule 1: Never start players with less than 50BB.Rule 2: Take the total chips in play, divide by two to get to the average stack at the end. Divide this by ten to get your "drop dead" blinds. When the blinds reach this level, your tournament will end in true Poker Superstars II fashion.Rule 3: Make your blinds as linear as you can stand, getting from Rule 1 and Rule 2. Be sure to consider your chip denominations and when you color up chips.Rule 4: Always put your "drop dead" level at the end of your designed length. If you want it to last five hours, put "drop dead" at thend of the fifth hour. Then include the next three levels, just in case.As you get to know your players, feel free to tweak it if they are excessively tight or loose. You want to keep the blinds linear so people don't feel rushed, and give everyone a lot of play. Of course, the average stack starts increasing exponientially toward the end, so your blinds have to get a little nonlinear. Let your colorups motivate that. But always think through your blinds. A bad blind structure will ruin ANY tournament.
Great post!

I asked a similar question a while back and got a number of good replies. I have run the tournament using the blind levels listed (from the tourney section, minus the antes) about 5 times, with 6/7 people. Using 20 minute blind levels and 5 minute breaks every hour, the tournaments have usually lasted around 3 hours. I stop the blinds at 5% of the total chip stack, as suggested, but have never gotten that far in. The thread is linked below for reference.http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...8845&highlight=