“asian poker players”

Hello all,I sit here astounded at a column I just read called “Asian Poker Players” written by Daniel Negreanu. In this column he states that the Media gives not-enough coverage to Asian poker players because they’re Asian. Furthermore he goes on to speculate that perhaps Vietnamese people are genetically smarter then people born of other cultures!Are people named Phil naturally better poker players?Is there an editor in a back room somewhere at ESPN named Phil who gives special airtime to all his numerous namesakes?The reason many of the players you listed are largely ignored is the same as the reason that many great White American players get little coverage… they are less interesting then the bafoons (un-sure of spelling.)that are so beloved.If racism is the reason, then why are the most interesting and flamboyant Asians embraced?Sure I’d like to see more of J.C. Tran or Tuan Le on TV, but the producers are giving the masses what they want, and what they want are loud abrasive people! its in no way racially motivated.Dutch

I don't think the networks are after loud abrasive people but rather colorful characters. Certainly Doyle, Chan, TJ, Daniel and Juanda are not "loud and abrasive." As the Asian players win more they will be harder to ignore. The networks selladvertising. They need ratings. Colorful characters make better tv.

I have to agree with EJ333. The audience is drawn by characters they 1) like 2) want to emmulate 3) feel entertained by4) can learn from5) are quite simply odd (i.e., fossilman)While I don't know the on-goings of the whole poker tournament scenes, I'd like to believe there isn't discrimination in media coverage. *putting on rose colored glasses*Isn't poker Equal Opportunity? There isn't an affirmative action program, as far as I know. You become the best because you simply are. Heck, look at William Hung! He's a horrible singer who has 2 albums out! Ok, ok, we like him - seems like a nice guy, but we have no desire to emmulate him unless we "are" him, and he's disturbingly entertaining. Learn from him? He is an electrical engineer major at Berkeley -- so if we wanted to learn circuits, I'm sure he'd make time in between his frightful rendition of "she bangs" (and you have to wonder if he really knows what that song means). But the dude is getting serious media attention - not necessarily a good thing. But I digress. I think I'm more embarassed that he's a student at my alma mater. And I think Mr. Hung fit #5 - simply odd. Mesmerizing.Since Negreanu is deep into the whole poker tournament media blitz, I have to give him credit for his courage to speak his mind and bring the issue into discussion. And I have to believe he knows more about what's going on, so much so he felt compelled to dedicate his time to write an article about it. Being of asian decent (are filipinos really asian? especially when their dad is spanish - I still haven't figured that one out) - I dislike racial groupings. Why can't we live in a world where the color of our skin is a non-issue.-BernadetteAsian PersuAsian

Hello all,I sit here astounded at a column I just read called “Asian Poker Players” written by Daniel Negreanu.  In this column he states that the Media gives not-enough coverage to Asian poker players because they’re Asian. Furthermore he goes on to speculate that perhaps Vietnamese people are genetically smarter then people born of other cultures!Are people named Phil naturally better poker players?Is there an editor in a back room somewhere at ESPN named Phil who gives special airtime to all his numerous namesakes?The reason many of the players you listed are largely ignored is the same as the reason that many great White American players get little coverage… they are less interesting then the bafoons (un-sure of spelling.)that are so beloved.If  racism is the reason, then why are the most interesting and flamboyant   Asians embraced?Sure I’d like to see more of J.C. Tran or Tuan Le on TV, but the producers are giving the masses what they want, and what they want are loud abrasive people! its in no way racially motivated.Dutch
Dutch, for some reason you seem a little defensive. hmmmmm. I believe you didnt' get the point of the article. Let me shed some light.Daniel, wrote the article because he is as perplexed as most of us why some Asians do so well in the tournments. The reason behind it is pretty much anyone's guess. If you look at the numer of Asian entrants in Major $10,000 buy in tournaments the number of asians are small compared to the field. Like the last WPT in Tunica. Maybe 30-40 were Asian Males out of 512. that's less than 10%. And yet 2 of them find themselves at the final table. With a few threatening at the end to make it there. John Juanda is argueably one of the best players in the last couple of years. Is he hounded for books and dvd's...NOIs he asked to do promotional appearances in movies, television...NOHave you seen the WPT, ESPN take their camera's into an Asian players home like they do with Helmuth, Daniel, Duke, Doyle..etc....NODutch, to me, Daniel wrote the article is not really for any changes to the Industry. But to say, "Hey, I'm a well rounded human being". He neither respects nor hate another person by their looks. And he's not going to let a little accent stop him from listening to what they have to say.By the way, I'm asian, and i'm as dumb as they come.

well reality is what we want on tv, did i just say that? oh nevermind. tv is all about the ratings just like everything else. i have an idea get every asian poker player to jump up and scream " show me the money "after every hand they win or go all in on and i think they might get some more airtime? :D

There are several reasons why I think the asians do so well, and we are talking about east asians. One is that most of them come from gambling cultures and Two(and this is the big one) Those who came over came from very tough situations. Take Scotty Nguyn for example, he left vietnam on a raft. None of us are gonna be as tough as him because of experiences like that. There is a different mental makeup when you go through so much hardship.