playing a-k s after a raise is made

Depending on how much the other guy has in front of him, I would have to go all in here just because of the fact the he was short stacked. It would be correct to move in with many hands in this situation.

Calling is a good way to make the minimum and lose the maximum.  You need to jam pre-flop with AK here to see all 5 cards.  Louis, you should read an article written by Matt Matros about this type of situation in a recent issue of Cardplayer.  But then again who am I to tell you......I'm a bad player because I don't fold the nuts like you do.
Situational- the play you are talking about was both hypothetical and situational- I have no idea what kind of player you are but fairly certain you are not very good at reading, or comprehending what you are reading. The only reason I said he could call was he was not that lowstacked. If a Ace or King flops push the other 7000 in, or just fold if it doesn't. I also said that it could be played either way, in both accounts you have alluded to. ( That means made reference to. ) To the guy who said call and then push the flop no matter what? You might as well just push preflop. :shock: :shock:
Put it this way- lets say flop comes XXX in my pocket 3 scenario- unless a 3 comes down I could have made that guy fold with just about any flop- there was no reason to create a race situation. Not all plays have to be all in preflop- and if you step back and analyze you will realize that.
I agree in general, but I'm not so sure in this case. If either of you go all-in on the flop, the other is getting almost 2:1 to call. I dont think you can get away from this hand very easily on the flop, and I dont think the big stack is going to back down to a play by a short stack when getting almost 2:1.
Wrong- you are assuming he is good- most internet players in that situation are just hoping a face does not hit, they do not want to see a flop, they will fold if an ace or king hits because they dont want to look stupid- they don't realize that the odds justify the call at that point. This is something that I do alot- a short stack pushes my blind late in a tourney, and mathematically I have to call. I will type in an apology ahead of time, like" sorry, I hate taking you out with B.S. if it hits but I am priced in "- if my 7-4 os takes out there A-K they say things like " why did you call? " They really have no idea sometimes- you would be suprised at final tables sometimes I know like one person, and you will here like 3 or 4 " this is my first final table. " Which proves Smash theory that tournaments are for donkeys. However, I like to be the guy beating the donkeys with 12 inches of limp. To the people that just love to talk about folding the nuts- you are neglecting the fact that Daniel wrote an article that backed me up, which somebody else pointed out to me after the fact. It has to do with situational plays that you would make vs. the play you would usually make. The two are not always the same.

I hate AK.Last week I cleaned my PP account of $1500 profit (to by myself a new laptop so I can lose it all back, LOL) and decided to use my player points to see if I could build a starting b/r without having to re-deposit.I played for four hours to get deep into the $1250 freeroll. Played good poker, was down to the last thirty of over 1100 starters (so in the money already) with above average chips of around 40,000.We are at that stage of the tournament where it is pretty much raise and take it, except when I look down at AK in the sb I find two limpers in front of me. That means there is already about 20k in the pot (I think blinds were 4-8 at this point) so I have to jam, right, because I don't want to play this hand against two other people and a small raise invites one of them over the top of me which puts me to the test rather than them.And I'm prob no worse than 50-50?And there's no point folding to get deeper into the money - it's a freeroll, it's only really with it if you get into the last three.Ding, wrong, sucka! I get called by Aces from someone with 50k in chips and busted out.There were three things that really bugged me:1) The guy TOTALLY slow-rolled me with his call. Used up his timebank and everything. When I complained all these railbirds (railbirding an online freeroll? How sad is that!) started hitting out at me for whingeing because I'd been outplayed. LOL. They didn't understand the difference between slow-rolling and slow-playing.2) Having said that, I think it was an absolutely horrible way to play Aces at that point. He was asking for trouble and maybe if I had just limped too he would have got it.3) I played for over four hours to finish like 25th out of 1150 people - for $12.50!

you have to push here. as already stated see Harringotn Vol II.regarldess, if you just smooth call here the big stack if he has any brains at all is going to put you all in on the flop no matter what hits. Granted he may not have brains, as previous poster pointed out, but you never know he might.Also as far as players on the internet not wanting to look stupid, i don't think i have ever read something more aburd. I've seen more calls with underpairs online and with ace high and just weak ass shit than i ever see live. I think on the contrary in the comfort of their own homes they don't care how they look.anyway push here. you could min raise him back if you wanted but i would almost guarentee if you min raise a big stack both your chips are going in the pot regardless.I mean you are going to have a what like 15k pot if you min raise and have 4k left. I mean you can do this, and maybe one out of 100 times he folds on the flop. But i think this is an obvious push situation.

Everyone that says to call and push on the flop is saying that knowing that the guy had 33. Yes there are a lot of cards that will come that could scare them out of the pot, but then again you didn't know what he had in the first place. I would personally go for the race pre flop, and hope he doesn't hold KK or AA. Jamming a flop you missed and then still getting busted by 33 is far worse than putting your money in with the coin flip.

IN THIS SITUATION: you are not going to fold, your best play is simple: push. If you want to stop and go out of position (which is somewhat moronic) you would have probably been called by 88 by an agressive player anyway; same outcome.IN GENERAL: You should push everytime and I think your a huge favorite against his range of hands that he'll raise and even call with. Stop and go isn't respected a lot so I don't think you want to make that play with AK even if you are in position.It seems like you're upset because you lost a coinflip.. but I'm telling you now and you'll hear it a million times... there's a lot of variance in tournament poker.

you have to push here. as already stated see Harringotn Vol II.regarldess, if you just smooth call here the big stack if he has any brains at all is going to put you all in on the flop no matter what hits. Granted he may not have brains, as previous poster pointed out, but you never know he might.Also as far as players on the internet not wanting to look stupid, i don't think i have ever read something more aburd. I've seen more calls with underpairs online and with ace high and just weak ass shit than i ever see live. I think on the contrary in the comfort of their own homes they don't care how they look.anyway push here. you could min raise him back if you wanted but i would almost guarentee if you min raise a big stack both your chips are going in the pot regardless.I mean you are going to have a what like 15k pot if you min raise and have 4k left. I mean you can do this, and maybe one out of 100 times he folds on the flop. But i think this is an obvious push situation.
Yeah, I agree that you could push the A-K- I also present something else you could do if you wanted to, which is just call, you still have plenty of chips. Neither play is wrong- it just depends if you want to risk your whole tournament on a drawing hand. I will do this, sometimes I do not want too, so I have another play. As far as absurd that people would fold? Wrong- people fold alot- you just remember the ones that didn't and the stupid play sticks in your mind. I never advocated minimum raise!!! I NEVER ADVOCATE MINIMUM RAISE, MIIMUM RAISING IS POINTLESS!! Smooth calling has it's place, though.