continuation bets

I know, as always, the answer is pretty much going to be 'it depends.' However, I'm asking for opinions anyway. Lately I've found myself in this sort of situation frequently: online MTT at PP, I've raised preflop then missed the flop. I then make a continuation bet against one or two opponents, and one simply calls. The question is, how do you then usually approach the turn? I know a lot will depend on your position, your read of the other player, the board, your chipstack situation/M, etc. Often though I'll come at the pot again on the turn if I think the villian's on a draw that just missed, rather than trips/two pair/some other monster hand. Lately I've lost a fair number of tourney chips to bad players, who I read as being bad players, who I thought were on a draw but actually have something like bottom/middle pair and choose to call my bluffs down to the river and I don't improve. It's particularly hard for me not to take another shot at the pot on the turn if I'm out of position, b/c if I check it almost assures a positional bluff bet that I have to fold to from the villian, or worse, if they were on a draw, then I'm giving them a free card to hit it. I guess I'm asking, any sense whether another continuation bet on the turn after getting a call on your flop bet is +EV or not.

but youre right...too many "it depends". One I dont think you mentioned is the texture of the flop itself. If its all low rags, and you started with a solid hand, then your continuation bet gave both you and the other player odds to draw to two overcards. Then you have to decide if the turn card hit one of his overcards.

I really want to try and help you out with an answer here, but I'm having a hard time. There are just so many factors to consider when trying to decide whether or not to continue betting with a missed hand. The biggest ones are the board and what the player's tendencies are.I think it's easier to fire out another bluff bet if you have a really nothing hand and your only shot to win is to bluff. If you have some sort of draw by the turn, it's probably best just to take the free card if they give it to you.Sorry, this post probably won't help you much at all, but it's just about the best I can offer.

You have to ask yourself "if he called my flop bet, what are the chances he will fold to a turn bet". But you're right, it depends on the texture of the board and your read. I find this play to be a chip loser generally though.If I totally missed and he calls my flop bet, I will GENERALLY be done with the pot.

...I've raised preflop then missed the flop. I then make a continuation bet against one or two opponents, and one simply calls. The question is, how do you then usually approach the turn?...Often... I'll come at the pot again on the turn if I think the villian's on a draw that just missed...It's particularly hard for me not to take another shot at the pot on the turn if I'm out of position, b/c if I check it almost assures a positional bluff bet that I have to fold to from the villian, or worse, if they were on a draw, then I'm giving them a free card to hit it.I guess I'm asking, any sense whether another continuation bet on the turn after getting a call on your flop bet is +EV or not.
Continuation bets are fine...provided they are doing the job you intend. By all means, fire the first shell but know that you may or may not have to fire the second (and possibly third) shell to accomplish your goal. But what you cannot do is fire these shells automatically. You must continually obtain information.That said, it may be correct to take a shot at the flop but (as you say above) if you are not in position, check it and gain information. You just may have to fold the hand if the player bets (better to save those chips and wait for a better spot).Of course, a continuation bet that is properly strategized would have you in position.Don't forget, there is a difference between a continuation bet and a nuisance bet/raise. Both require planning, information, and long-term vision.