daniel's state of mind

Has anyone else noticed how Daniel's success at the poker table seems almost predetermined by his state of mind going in?For last week's AC, he said up front he didn't like the format, didn't unpack and was probably the first name player out of the whole thing.And go back to the Bellagio in December. For all the lead up events, Daniel kept writing that he was just dragging his butt out of bed...playing cause he thought he should, not cause he wanted to... and he kept losing early.When he was motived to play the big one, not only did he win player of the year honours by making the final table, he won the whole thing.That said, I'm optimistic about his chances this week. He seems upbeat, confident and in a good state of mind.It's something we should watch.

I agree. We'll see how it goes this time. I'm still thinking about driving down to Tunica one day this week to watch some play, not sure."Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." — Steven WrightThats hilarious, Steven Wright and his new nemesis Mitch Hedberg are two of my favorite comedians. Throw in Stephen Lynch and you got my top 3.

did you find a blog on the event for us to follow?
Nope, I wish I did. The Pokerstars blog was awesome. If I go I will blog while I'm there, but right now doesnt look like I'm gonna make it. If you hear of one let me know.
I agree. We'll see how it goes this time. I'm still thinking about driving down to Tunica one day this week to watch some play, not sure."Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." — Steven WrightThats hilarious, Steven Wright and his new nemesis Mitch Hedberg are two of my favorite comedians. Throw in Stephen Lynch and you got my top 3.
Yeah man. Where is this Mitch Hedburg guy? I remember seeing him on the tonight show a while back and he cracked me up. Then I recognized him as being the guy that works the counter at the Hub of That 70s Show. Haven't seen him in anything else though. How can I see some of his stand up stuff?

"Has anyone else noticed how Daniel's success at the poker table seems almost predetermined by his state of mind going in?"I think this true of almost any competition, and especially in poker where the competition is almost completely mental.

I have Hedburg's two lastest (I think) CDs. It is awesome. Friend of mine went to see him and Lewis Black a year ago, from the sounds of it it was an awesome show. Not sure this was entirely on topic. :D

Is it really possible to just will yourself to win at poker? i doubt it, but certainly having a good mindset is mandatory..confident, a little censored, solid game..
You can't will yourself to win %100 due to the luck factor of the game, whatever percentage you want to give to luck. But you can will the remaining percentage to win.But having a positive mindset going into the game is a must. I know that I play better after giving myself time to focus before hand. If I'm not mentally into the game, I might as well just hand over my chips and be done with it. Look at John Murphy in the 04 WSOP. Had he not overslept that day, and come in fresh how would it have gone for him then? I'm convinced he would have done better overall had he not come in as raged as he did.I can walk into a room, sit at a table, play one or two hands and have a pretty good idea of how things will go for me, no matter my mindset. If I'm having a bad feeling I'll walk away and ask for another seat or just leave. I won't play well if I'm getting alot of negative energy from those around me.

Well Daniels succes when he is focused is probably something like Michael Jordans (when he was with the bulls) :-) ability when he zoned in and fed off the pressure. Daniel is much like this when hes under pressure and zoned in seems to be when he plays his best poker.

it'd be pretty sick if daniel can wrap up a third WPT title this week. Serioulsy that would make him the most successful player since the WPT began. He already has five final tables and four tv appearences(two yet to be seen).