advice for stars 215$ sunday

I will be playing in the pokerstars 200+15 for the first time this sunday. I was just wondering if any forum goers have played in this game before, and could offer me any advice on how to approach this tournament. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

well I won't be playing it like a 1 table tournamnet, or i'd just be waiting for it to get short handed and thinking wtf when people keep filling spots at my table and my stack keeps shrinking :club: but point taken, I'll play it 1 hand at a time and hopefully i'll get lucky. The Don't play scared advice is pretty spot on, I'll just have to make sure to remember it when i'm actually playing!!

You start with 2,500 in chips so the structure is better than the typical Pokerstars tourney.First hour, play ABC, the stacks are deep relative to the blinds, so implied odds make it worthwhile to see flops cheaply with small PP and suited connectors.When the blinds reach 50/100 and 75/150, play loosens up as many players start to find themselves short stacked. Once blinds reach 100/200 and the ante's start, then it becomes quite the push fest.Pay attention to your table; quite a few pro's play this tourney but there also a lot of folks who go in thru FPP or the $3 satellites, so it pays to be observant.I'll open up the www.thepokerdb.com and input players at my table into the website to see their tournament track record - it helps me get a feel for their tournament experience.

than other sites. Expect good aggressive play, don't limp early, you'll just be wasting chips, if you have a playable hand, raise with it. Its a marathon, not a sprint, chip and a chair...what other cliches are there lol.

Copernicus is obviously a drug-addicted drunk to think the play on Stars overall is better.... lol... pure comedy... in this tourney though it is at a very high level.... much different than many of the other games on stars...Accumulate Earlier.... chase a lil bit more.... U need to be highly aggressive at 3 key points ... 100/200 25 ante.... for about 3 rounds around the table... 1000/2000 with 100 ante (i think) same idea as before... and if you make it far enough 10000/20000 1000 ante (i think) same idea as before... If my memory is correct these 3 spots are right after breaks and the last one is usually right before the money... Table image can get u paid immensely in this tourney... alot of younger kids and lot of expierence as well...I used to play this tourney weekly for about 8 months.. Lots and Lots of semis and no name pros...I hope my lil tidbit helps somewhat and The best of Luck to ya...If u get into it expect 6+ hours.... it takes awhile...Keep us posted as well on yer progress.... I'll come railbird if yer winnin... :club::D Hope this helps...

Copernicus is obviously a drug-addicted drunk to think the play on Stars overall is better.... lol... pure comedy... in this tourney though it is at a very high level.... much different than many of the other games on stars.....
Maybe this should be a different thread, but where do you think the tourneys are tougher than Stars (except maybe Full Tilt, I dont play there but heard it is tough). Party and Doyle's Room are far softer than Stars, which are the only other sites I play regularly. I used to play Paradise and Pacific, but they werent very big on tourneys at the time, though the ones they did have were very soft.

I think that the only site with tougher fields is UB. FullTilt tourney players are very tight, and can be bullied. Most high buyin tourney players on UB are good players. Stars still has plenty of fish at all levels.As for my advice, don't play scared. The first 3 times I played in those big tournaments, I played extremely scared and didn't get very far. Just play it like it is a $20 tourney.

I would like to personally thank everyone who contributed to this thread. especially gobears (awesome website) and deadmoney (good specific advice).I am looking forward to the tournamnet tomorrow. I will keep you all posted on my results.Thank you all,And good luck to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,Sorry if i missed your reply somewhere but how did you get on?I played that tournament for the 1st time then too, i finished 452/3256 just out of the money lol. :? i played this weeks too but came 200x/330x, i just didn't get any cards and i took a stand with 99 and got busted by AJo. :cry: i won a sattelite both times so it wan't that bad.-Hardnut

I finished around 1500 th. I feel like i suffered from some pretty bad timing, I had a bunch of good hands in the first two levels, when the table was playing super tight and increased my stack to 3k. After that my cards went dead, and i lost a few hands. I eventually pushed in with AT, and got called by 88.